Talk

Advanced search

Make-up. I'm clueless please help!

(25 Posts)
OffRoader Thu 30-Mar-17 19:32:11

I'm going to treat myself and splash out on some new makeup next week. Where on earth do I start?

Thought I'd watch a YouTube makeup tutorial, watched for two minutes and gave up. She used about 4 different types of foundation confused I don't get it, do I need different types?

I'm only 30, but my makeup has never really changed since being a teenager. Most days a bit of powder, eyeliner, mascara and blusher. If I'm 'dressing up' then I use foundation and a liquid highlighter I've had for years.

Can anyone recommend any good tutorials I can watch/ people to follow?

I know you can go to makeup counters etc, and I've tried before but they always seem to think I'm trying to get a free make over when I'm asking for advice.

I walked into Mac once, felt ridiculously intimidated and left as fast as I could blush

So what I'm asking is what 'basics' do you keep in your makeup bag?

TIA

Softkitty2 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:36:09

Primer-- you can go highstreet or high end, try the nyx counter in boots or smashbox
Charlotte tilbury wonderglow or the becca shimmering primer, laura mercier does good primers too, most beauty brands will have some sort of primer, you just have to choose if you want a moisturising/dewy, matte finish or illuminating primer

Foundation I personally always go for high end because of my skin tone I have used mac studio fix, bobbi brown, charlotte tilbury and nars, my fave is nars so far.

For your everyday make up instead of appying products to bare face without foundation why not try a tinted bb cream or tinted moisturiser? From highend to high street there are loads of choices but you can try the estee lauder, mac, laura mercier one... If you have oily skin you might want to sample tinted moisturisers first before purchasing a full bottle.

Powder to set your foundation/bb cream

Tidy and defined eyebrows

Underye concealer/ corrector, Blush, highlight, contour

Lips my preference is matte lipstick I always use lip liner (it does make such a difference) but if i use liquid lipstick I can go without lining first.

For make up to sit well the canvass which is the skin of your face needs to be prepped, good diet and a good base.

MinnieF1 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:39:11

It depends what your budget is! Do you prefer a lighter coverage if you only use foundation occasionally? A BB cream or tinted moisturiser for day to day use might be nice if you do. I would go to John Lewis, Debenhams or selfridges if you have them nearby and are happy to spend a bit extra (or space NK if you really want to spend!). I'd recommend the following though, but it depends on what look you're after and what your skin type is:

Laura mercier, Nars or Chanel for foundations/BB creams etc.

Ester Lauder doublewear foundation if you want full coverage.

Powder - depends how oily/dry your skin is, but Laura mercier and MAC do good powders.

Lancôme mascara

Nars, benefit or Mac for blushers

Tarte bronzer

Bobbi brown shimmer bricks are nice too.

Eyeshadow depends on what colours you like but too faced and stila have good formulas. Morphe pallets are also really good and affordable but hard to find in stock in the U.K.

Pistachiois50pmore Thu 30-Mar-17 21:40:20

If you just want to look "nice" rather than a full on makeup look, I think MAC can be a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier both do nice very well.

Ollivander84 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:46:33

Lisa Eldridge does good YouTube videos

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:59:22

I would recommend pixiwoo ( otherwise known as sam and nic chapman ) they make it nice and easy and there are so many videos to help.
www.youtube.com/user/pixiwoo

my make up bag essentials are:
a good primer ( I use Maybelline baby skin )
a good foundation, I am currently using bourjois healthy mix
a setting powder or spray, urban decay fixing mist is good
a good eyeshadow pallet, urban decay naked are the ones I use the most
a good mascara, I am using bourjois volume 1 seconde
a nice blusher, rimmel soft pink blusher is good

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 30-Mar-17 22:00:15

oh and good lipsticks, nyx do some really good ones, but I don't wear lipstick umless a special occasion I wear a tinted lip balm

MrsDoylesTeabags Thu 30-Mar-17 22:15:26

Yeah Pixiwoo and Lisa Eldrige are really good. Lisa Eldridge has a really good Youtube series on how to pick the right foundation.

I like Garnier BB cream, the one for oily skin, its great as a primer and for 'no make-up' days.
for foundation at the moment I'm liking No7 Stay Perfect and Maybelline Fit me
Mascara I love Volume Million Lashes
Eyeliner, Rimmel Exaggerate the twisty up pencil.
I'm a lipstick junkie so I have to wear at least tinted lipbalm

OffRoader Thu 30-Mar-17 22:20:50

Thank you, all really helpful!

What's BB cream? I'm not sure what primer is either, but I'm going to a good mooch around Debenhams and I'm sure I'll work it out!

You're all so helpful, thank you flowers

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 30-Mar-17 22:24:29

a BB cream is basically a tinted moisturiser, so good if you want a little bit of coverage or to perk up your skin but don't want to wear a complete face of foundation
Primer makes the skin smooth and a good canvas for your foundation also helps it to stay on longer.

Ohyesiam Thu 30-Mar-17 22:56:28

Until this winter, assumed lancome was an old ladies brand, but a friend put me onto their foundation. Lots of people remarked on how good my skin looked. It's called Idol, I think. If you go to the counter they give you a sample that lasts over a week, so you can really see of it works for you.

ChoccyJules Thu 30-Mar-17 23:02:25

While everyone is over here being helpful, I have two questions. Can I use something on my sensitive eyelids to help powder stay put and give good colour? Sometimes it seems I have none on and I swear I just applied it!

Also, the trend nowadays for eyeliner on the top lid. I've tried but I can't get the hang of it. End up with a gap between lashes and line, or a smudgy mess. Bought a 'gel' pencil, yeah right. Just like my usual eyeliner, nothing gel about it.

I really am trying to leave the 80s behind but it's hanging on to me!

MrsDoylesTeabags Thu 30-Mar-17 23:17:21

You can get eyelid primer, not sure which is best. As for eyeliner try holding a mirror under your face and looking down.

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 30-Mar-17 23:23:48

Choccy the body shop to a good liquis eyeliner it's more like a felt tip pen and it's easier to use ( I am really shit at eyeliner on my lids )
www.boots.com/smashbox-photo-finish-24-hour-shadow-primer-10174855 << this is the eyelid primer I use, it last ages so justifies the price grin I get really oily eyelids so my shadow slips but this keeps it in place

Softkitty2 Fri 31-Mar-17 11:26:13

choccy urban decay does eye lid primers they have a few selection, go to a counter and ask for a sample

OP a bb (beauty balm) cream is just like a tinted moisturiser but with a bit more skin enhancing properties apparently.

Agree with pp you have to go to a department store with different brands so you can sample and 'play' with the products, do not be shy to ask for samples because if you are paying for a pricey product it will be a shame to not like it when you get home and often you can't return.

Go to the space nk website and most products are categorised so you can see all the products under 'primers' etc etc

user1490208960 Fri 31-Mar-17 14:36:58

I get loads of advice and find a Facebook group really helpful. It's called the beauty collective. It's really friendly and they don't care if you are clueless or skint. It's ran by people trained in make up and skincare and my goodness they are so helpful and so nice

Rubysewgood Fri 31-Mar-17 16:40:28

Ask to be matched for foundation at Estée Lauder. They will happily give you a generous sample while giving some good tips.
While they are matching, just ask for them to show you some products to finish the look - you will find they are trained to match and demo a full make up look and are very helpful and friendly.

janniedodger Fri 31-Mar-17 17:18:32

What's bb cream?

janniedodger Fri 31-Mar-17 17:19:05

Opps just rearead and its beauty balm

ChoccyJules Fri 31-Mar-17 17:20:26

Thank you to all who gave me ideas and pointers :-)

Idbemonica1 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:37:06

Bryony Blake does the make up slot on This Morning and also has great tutorials on YouTube.

Ineedagoodusername Fri 31-Mar-17 17:38:53

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know where I can free foundation samples online? I really want to try some of the pricier brands but hard to know what shade is best.

PhoenixRisingSlowly Fri 31-Mar-17 17:48:33

Has anyone mentioned the samples box from feelunique yet? It's ace, you pay £3.95 for delivery and get 4 samples that you can choose, and then after your order you get an e-voucher for £3.95 off any future purchase from them, so if you end up buying from them then it works out a good deal. Some of the samples are just sachets that you could pick up free anywhere, but others are really good, I got the Benefit good proof brow pencil as one of my sample and you get loads of it.

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 31-Mar-17 18:36:32

Maybe start with a tinted moisturiser and a concealer for where you might need/want a bit more coverage.

A cream blush is good because you can apply a little to the cheeks and then dab on your lips instead of using a lipstick.

Eyebrow pencil and mascara, and you're good to go.

OffRoader Mon 03-Apr-17 22:34:54

Look at all the goodies I got today!

Thanks for all the help everyone (and to the lady on the make-up counter who was lovely), now just to work out how to put it all on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now