Talk

Advanced search

Mission impossible - smart, flat, wide fitting and comfortable shoes?

(37 Posts)
Okite Thu 30-Mar-17 14:50:38

Pretty sure these don't exist or I'd have found them years ago sad
I need some smart(ish) shoes for work - have been a SAHM for years so hasn't been an issue for a while! I have big (size 8), wide (e fitting at least plus bunions) and fairly painful feet.
I can't wear heels, I can't wear ballet shoes because they always come across the widest/most painful bit and rub.
Shall I resign myself to buying some men's brogues and be done with it?

CMOTDibbler Thu 30-Mar-17 14:54:09

I've got some patent brogues from Clarks which look nice and are comfy.

Okite Thu 30-Mar-17 15:52:33

Clarks wide fit brogues are out of stock in my size unfortunately, I find clarks still quite narrow generally too.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 30-Mar-17 15:54:30

Try Hotter. There are a few gems amongst the frumpy stuff.

CMOTDibbler Thu 30-Mar-17 16:01:44

I found mine on ebay, which is quite a good source of 'wore it once and found they didn't suit' shoes. Sometimes I buy them just to see if they fit me smile

PNGirl Thu 30-Mar-17 16:03:47

Not sure if they'd be wide enough but Ted&Muffy do wide fitting in a size 8 and sell loafers/brogues. Not cheap but they are comfy. I'm wearing some now in a wide size 6!

www.tedandmuffy.com/womens-shoes/metallic-leather/totto/TMS80849.html?dwvar_TMS80849_color=33

www.tedandmuffy.com/womens-shoes/loafers-and-slippers/rustic-black-leather/studio/TMS11956.html?dwvar_TMS11956_color=38

Semaphorically Thu 30-Mar-17 16:05:52

If you like brogues then buy men's? They tend to be wider fitting.

Okite Thu 30-Mar-17 17:19:18

I don't particularly like brogues semaphorically, it's just that seems the most likely option.
I used to have a lovely pair of really super-soft leather Mary Jane type shoes but funky green (they were clarks ones) but they were in my pre-pregnancy size and no longer fit. Since then I've not worked so have got away with chunky boots and walking sandals.

MichaelSheensNextDW Thu 30-Mar-17 17:33:20

I have similar foot issues OP and usually find something that works well in the M&S wide fitting range. These are nice and also in black I think -

www.marksandspencer.com/footglove-leather-wide-fit-tassel-loafers/p/p22277615?image=HT_01_T02_6403W_VS_X_EC_0&color=TAN&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

I like to wear trainers for my commute then change into smart shoes when I arrive.

CurlsLDN Thu 30-Mar-17 17:37:05

Heavenly soles go up to EEE fit, quite a lot of them are on sale on Simply Be at the mo
www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/1/_/N-1ytvgps/Ntt-HEavenly+soles/products/show.action?hnid=2000&type=cmr

bookbook Thu 30-Mar-17 17:42:56

Do look at Hotter - as someone above said.They are so comfy ,something like this?
various colours

Okite Thu 30-Mar-17 20:57:46

I like the ted & muffy ones (and have never heard of them before!) but they look rather pointy for my feet. I've spent a while going through hotter and have ordered a few pairs to try out, they look quite promising.
Also realised there's a shoe shop nearby which has lots of European brands (rieker etc) which I've never been in (because their window display is awful!) but they might be worth a look.

JustAnotherSod Thu 30-Mar-17 23:23:57

Have a look at Evans - some of their shoes are awful but occasionally they have some decent wide fitting comfy shoes - they tend to be my go to for work shoes.

CointreauVersial Fri 31-Mar-17 18:35:46

Hotter shoes don't come up very wide, believe it or not!

On the High Street I recommend M&S, Clark's or (surprisingly) New Look for a decent range of Wide Fit shoes.

And definitely check out the Rieker shoes in your nearby shop; also Gabor.

Okite Fri 31-Mar-17 20:19:19

I hope hotter are ok after ordering quite a few pairs!
I visited the local shop today which was very helpful, I got a pair of Gabor shoes but I'm not 100% sure of them so will try them out more before deciding. Also found think! were a good brand for my feet but they didn't have the colour I wanted so have looked online and ordered some, hopefully will be ok.
Have discovered in addition to the various other issues, one foot is half a size bigger and by my ankles is very narrow so ALL of the wide fitting ballet-type pumps just gape further up! My feet are not designed for shoes!

Okite Fri 31-Mar-17 20:20:03

And I should say thank you for all the suggestions! flowers

OCSockOrphanage Fri 31-Mar-17 20:25:01

Look at Ecco. Not the cheapest option but fit my boat shaped feet, and offer a decent range of styles and colours.

PurpleAlerts Fri 31-Mar-17 20:31:42

Dorothy Perkins sell wide flat shoes- I bought some nice boots there recently. I know your pain-DH calls them hobbit feet...grin

Mermaidinthesea Fri 31-Mar-17 20:37:04

I'm a 5 EE andf my mum is an 8 EE and we get all our shoes from the over 50's catalogue. You don't have to be over 50!!

www.fiftyplus.co.uk/shop/shoes/footwear/1/_/N-1ytw4ar/products/show.action?promo=6210&dclid=CIbH4cG-gdMCFYuM7Qod2n0EWA

Evans has some nice wide shoes too.

BarchesterFlowers Fri 31-Mar-17 20:42:28

I don't have particularly wide feet but Ecco Basels are not narrow (bit wide for me tbh), very comfy and the leather is sort of permanently shiny without it being patent.

I love them, had them for a year now and they are like new.

Love51 Fri 31-Mar-17 20:47:17

Another mention for New Look.

seefeld Fri 31-Mar-17 21:37:14

ASOS sell wide fitting shoes from various brands

MeNeedSleep Fri 31-Mar-17 22:04:04

Vivo barefoot

Okite Sat 01-Apr-17 07:42:36

I tried Vivo barefoot years ago (I much prefer being barefoot to anything so thought they'd be ideal) but they were way too narrow then, I don't know whether they've started doing more width options.
I'll wait on the ones I've ordered for now and see how those are, then try some of the other options if I have no luck

Wincarnis Sat 01-Apr-17 07:47:42

Remonte are another brand worth checking out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now