Talk

Advanced search

Is there any actual way on Earth to make your hair thicker?

(29 Posts)
Sodomeyes Thu 30-Mar-17 11:40:50

I have thin, limp hair. It's in a horrible middle stage at the minute which isn't helping.

I'm growing it to shoulder-ish length after years with a pixie crop.

But, when it gets to the length I want it, I don't want just a horrible hanging limp curtain. I want swishy, body hair

Is there any actual way to thicken your hair?

Heratnumber7 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:44:44

Short answer is No. you only have a certain number of hair follicles, and hair transplants aside, you can't increase the number you were born with.

You can buy shampoos that plump up each hair, so make for an over all look if thicker hair, or you could have hair extensions.

Sodomeyes Thu 30-Mar-17 12:24:14

Herat Thanks for your response. Do you think there are any good thickening shampoos out there that do actually do something?

I don't want to go down the road of hair extensions.

missmartha Thu 30-Mar-17 12:25:22

Agree there. I have thin, fine hair. I get a good hair cut to maximise thickness (my hair stylist aught to be sainted) and I get it coloured to give the allusion of fullness.
It never will be fuller.

Have you talked to your doctor in case you have a medical condition? It's possible you have, unlike me, in which case maybe something can be done about it.

Nightneverchanges Thu 30-Mar-17 12:26:18

Colouring your hair makes it seem thicker too.

Ooopsohdear Thu 30-Mar-17 12:27:48

I have horried thin limp hair, there's absolutely nothing that makes it thicker, believe me I have tried everything sad

shirleycartersaidso Thu 30-Mar-17 12:30:57

I have very fine hair - layers and dry shampoo make it look better.

Sodomeyes Thu 30-Mar-17 12:41:07

I do have it coloured and my stylist is good at making it look thicker. I don't think there's a medical condition, I'm just not blessed in the hair department.

Once it gets a bit longer, it starts to go curly and that makes is look thicker but ATM its in a really horrible in-between stage where I can't do anything with it but it looks shit if it's just left hanging.

Sigh

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Mar-17 12:44:50

Get pregnant? (Might be a little extreme admittedly)

RockyBird Thu 30-Mar-17 12:46:58

Elnett volume mousse is fab. I bought it after a recommendation on here and like it. I also sometimes use dry shampoo.

Fibrology products work but they made my scalp itch so I stopped using them.

I also used the nioxin system 4 for about a year ... this improved the look and condition of my hair and it felt slightly thicker. (cheapest in Amazon or tk maxx)

I take sea kelp supplements and multi vitamins.

My neighbour had hair thinning after a hugely stressful life event. She took tablets that were very expensive from M&S. I can't remember what they were called but her hair is now too thick and she's had to stop them. I think though her hair was good to start with, fell out in clumps but is now back to normal again. This may have happened without the tablets.

I have shoulder length hair that is overdue for a cut/colour but bizarrely has started to sit really well over the past few weeks.

My ponytail girth would have been less than the size of a pinkie finger now it is more thumb thickness. So not brilliant but an improvement.

My daughters, luckily, have been blessed with luscious, thick, shiny hair. Their ponytails are more banana thickness grin

Mamia15 Thu 30-Mar-17 12:50:03

No fringes, no or very few layers at the back, a blunt cut are all tricks that will help.

Smallangryplanet Thu 30-Mar-17 12:55:10

I use Elnett mousse too and love it. I have highlights, use volume powder and dry shampoo on clean, blow dried and straightened hair. It's the combination of it all that makes it look thicker. I also tie it up on days two and three so I no longer have to wash it once or even twice a day.

Sodomeyes Thu 30-Mar-17 13:01:35

Mamia No fringes? Interesting. A friend recommended a thick fringe to make hair look thicker. I'd struggle with no fringe because I have a huge forehead.

ophiotaurus Thu 30-Mar-17 13:03:22

If you have a fringe it takes out a lot of volume from the top and sides

aintnobodygottimefodat Thu 30-Mar-17 13:07:54

I've just had my fine, limp hair cut into a long, blunt bob. Looks much thicker now. Have you tried sea salt spray? Head upside down, a few squirts of spray and scrunch. Side parting looks best. Think Jennifer Lawrence style.

RockyBird Thu 30-Mar-17 13:10:47

Ooh I have sea salt spray I've never used <off to try it>

loveka Thu 30-Mar-17 13:12:32

I have fine hair too.

Things that work for me:

Percy and Reed no oil oil.

John Freida thickening range, especially the one you leave in for 10 minutes.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 30-Mar-17 13:13:10

A very blunt cut: my hairdresser practically gets the spirit level out. John Frieda Volume shampoo is good, as is their root booster.

I wash, brush, pump some root booster in, then blowdry my hair upside down. It looks loads fuller when I don't have it too neat, so I then turn the right way up and literally take the brush through twice - any more and it flattens again.

I also think there's a 'right' length for my hair and once it goes beyond that I have no chance, it just gets too heavy and flops.

Sodomeyes Thu 30-Mar-17 13:26:09

I worry with a blunt cut that I'll end up looking like a school mistress from the 1970s.

My hair's just below my ears at the minute

KatharinaRosalie Thu 30-Mar-17 14:06:07

My miracle product is this, really makes a difference.
www.spacenk.com/uk/en_GB/brands/l/living-proof/full-thickening-cream-MUK200007163.html

imjessie Thu 30-Mar-17 14:07:29

A good cut makes it look thicker .

Hiphopapotamus4 Thu 30-Mar-17 14:25:07

I think diet has a lot to do with it too. My hair is thicker and better condition when I eat well and take my vitamin tablets. My iron levels tend to rise and fall and I've noticed that my hair looks thinner when my iron levels are low.

I still use volumising products and blow dry my hair upside down etc. and it all helps but the biggest change I saw was improving my diet and iron levels.

Tinnie88 Thu 30-Mar-17 14:32:10

Redkin Guts root spray is my favourite thickening product. Along with dry shampoo. I always blow dry the top section straight up vertical for lots of lift. I do cheat also though and have extensions for thickness which I wouldn't be without now.

Rosebag Thu 30-Mar-17 14:38:27

As I have got older, my hair has thinned at the top and at the temples. I have been horribly self conscious about it but two products, only recently discovered have given me so much confidence. originally a root cover now also marketed to make hair look thicker It comes in different colours. And since recommended on here. I also use the Elnette mousse product that a PP mentioned. The combination of the two has made a huge difference to me.

greedygorb Thu 30-Mar-17 14:44:03

I'd second keeping your iron levels up. I take spatone everyday. When I run out and forget I notice in a few months my hair is not as thick or in good condition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now