Talk

Advanced search

Please stop me from being mutton dressed as lamb (trainers)

(17 Posts)
mumsiedarlingrevolta Wed 29-Mar-17 15:28:09

I have never posted before but loooove this topic and read it voraciously.
I want a pair of trainers to wear as shoes with jeans etc but comfy enough to walk my 10,000 steps in.
My style is very pared down-S/S would be my fav new Hush boyfriend jeans with oversized navy linen shirt or breton stripes with superga trainers i know I am a cliche
Looked at a pair of trainers and DD16 said "those are like my friends would wear" not horribly-more conversationally.
But I am scarred by my own DM's very competitive attitude to clothing etc when I was around that age and never want to be that Mum.
I am not trendy...more classic. So want low key.
Really just want to be comfy and look reasonably smart and look like myself...
Any ideas??

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Wed 29-Mar-17 15:42:37

Golden Goose trainers. I love them and no 16 year old would be able to afford them!

Winterbelle Wed 29-Mar-17 15:55:03

Sounds so familiar! Just ordered another (my 4th) pair of converse as I can't decide on trainers (which I'm sure would be more comfy).

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 29-Mar-17 15:56:57

i think a lot of trainers work well across all ages - perhaps look for a more muted colourway in a classic style? Everyone seems to be wearing Nike Free or Roshe at the moment but what about some Air Force 1s? I love these:

www.offspring.co.uk/view/product/offspring_catalog/2,20/2372440609080?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=desktop

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 29-Mar-17 15:58:01

Will try that link again!

www.offspring.co.uk/view/product/offspring_catalog/2,20/2372440609080?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=desktop

OldBagLady Wed 29-Mar-17 16:02:59

I love Ash Virgin high tops but have been eyeing up various Golden Goose since last time they were mentioned on here.

simmonsbythesea Wed 29-Mar-17 16:23:13

What trainers were they that your daughters friends but not your daughter? would wear? Like a PP, lots of trainers are worn across all ages and work for everyone.

There are some styles that your daughter and friends would not be seen dead in e.g. Ash Virgins, Superga, anything under £15 from Sports Direct or Mountain Warehouse ....but none of them are particularly high fashion, and why should you limit yourself to those if you don't want to but still want to look current?

Or stop her pocket money and spend it on these instead:
www.net-a-porter.com/gb/en/product/857125/Gucci/appliqued-embellished-leather-sneakers-

taybert Wed 29-Mar-17 17:11:37

First of all, you can wear what you like. I don't think the outfit you describe really screams "teenager" regardless of what you wear on your feet. If you've seen some you like then buy them!

Secondly, are those jeans worth £75.....I've bought some cheaper alternatives and am awaiting delivery but the shape doesn't look as good as the hush ones. I'm just wondering if I should spend the extra 20 quid....

FeralBeryl Wed 29-Mar-17 17:24:16

Fivefoot they bloody would round here!
There are 12 year olds in genuine Balençiaga trainers shock
<eyes own dirty bleach stained converse>

mumsiedarlingrevolta Wed 29-Mar-17 17:30:49

Ah thanks so much for the replies....
five and OldBag love love those Golden Goose trainers-just flinching at the price a little...
Bubbins DD wearing those Nike currently
simmons DD loving her trainers and is babysitting all the hours that she can to keep her habit satisfied. She is using a website and buying stuff second hand stuff grim her current favs are Nike, (several varieties) a very cute pair of New Balance and Reeboks.
taybert I love my Hush jeans--got caught up in the MN frenzy when the catalogue came out-- once in a while that extra £20 worth it-also there was a discount code that gave 10% off.
And am grin laughing at I don't think the outfit you describe really screams "teenager" regardless of what you wear on your feet.
fair point.....

taybert Wed 29-Mar-17 17:57:39

Erm, yeah, just read that back and realised it sounds a bit catty, it wasn't meant to! The outfit sounds nice and I don't tend to worry too much about how teenagers view my footwear choice. But then I don't have one. The under fives have fewer opinions on these matters!

mumsiedarlingrevolta Wed 29-Mar-17 18:02:37

Don't worry taybert It was very pithy and funny and true....no offence taken!!
I am very anxious not to look like I am being "down with the kids"
so did laugh at myself as clearly my current style does not make that a worry.....
And do be careful as the U5's can be very opinionated...

taybert Wed 29-Mar-17 18:24:21

One of them once said "Mummy, I like you more when your lips are pink" (lipstick). Seemed a bit unfair really.

Boooooom Wed 29-Mar-17 18:42:10

Rocketdogs!

Dulcimena Wed 29-Mar-17 19:02:28

I'm currently alternating between white Nike Air Force 1s and black velcro Adidas Stan Smiths. The Nikes are def comfier but the Stan Smiths are probably more "classic".

wiltingfast Wed 29-Mar-17 21:55:34

Hmm I think whatever damn trainers you like would be fine with the linen shirt & jeans, but trainers with a Breton top? I'd tread carefully there >cough< grin

wiltingfast Wed 29-Mar-17 21:59:49

Ok I've googled it and Alexa Chung does it with converse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now