Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeling down about my high maintenance body

(36 Posts)
Mymothersdaughter Wed 29-Mar-17 15:06:36

Looking for some sympathy... and/or tips to help me out.

My body is really high maintenance-
I have acne and dry, flaky skin
I'm super hairy (think man legs) need to shave all the bloody time not to mention waxing moustache/ regular eyebrow sorting
I've got eczema and some fungal thing which leaves marks all over my torso and hands
My body weight is impossible to maintain, if I don't eat enough I look emaciated and if I eat too much I get pockets of flab around my middle

Then there's all the usual, hair maintenance, nails etc

I'm dreading summer time when I've got to wear less clothing and all my acne, fungus ridden, hairy, scarred body will be on display

How do people keep on top of body maintenance??

Presstheresetbutton Wed 29-Mar-17 15:10:11

Well your going to get a load of posts telling you not to worry about it. But personally I have a schedule

Nails: 6 weekly
Eyebrows: HD 6 weekly same appt as nails
Chin wax: same appt as above
Hair: 10 weekly
Shave: every two days
Moisturise: daily

If you can use long term solutions (waxing over creams) then it doesn't take so much time up

Stansmith01 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:17:28

Wow, OP I'm exactly the same! In fact I could have written this post sad sadly I don't have much advice to offer, but you have my full sympathy I know how it feels. I rarely bother looking "nice" anymore (don't have the time as my body is very high maintenance), I just want to look clean/acceptable. My skin is sooo horrible.

I have PCOS which causes my excessive hair growth, so far I've been trying to reduce carbs and drink spearmint tea (studies have shown drinking this tea reduces free testosterone in women)... its early days, can't say I've had much improvement. The only thing that has helped me is electrolysis for my facial hair (can't afford it for my body grr)

Mymothersdaughter Wed 29-Mar-17 15:22:50

Thanks for the sympathy! I think part of the problem is i can't find products to work- like I can't find a moisturiser that doesn't give me worse acne.

My hairiness is out of control, it would take me hours a day to keep on top of it (literally) I have thick dark hairs all over and I can't get it waxed as it grows back so quickly and I would constantly look horrendous between waxes!

I've tried getting into routines but my life is hectic, I find it really hard to prioritise. Don't really have the time or money for lots of salon trips (I'm guessing I'm not alone on that one!)

I feel incredibly unsexy 99% of the time confused

pixiebaby23 Wed 29-Mar-17 16:10:40

Skin: diet and exercise make a massive difference. Up the amount of water you drink to 2 litres a day; cut out sugar, eat only whole carbs and eat oily fish, avocados, nuts seeds and bio yogurt. Cut out or reduce alcohol.

Stress causes acne too - try yoga/mediation.

Hair: I've got a Phillips Lumea which is brilliant, but I started off with professional IPL treatment on my legs. It radically reduces hair removal to once every few months.

ahamsternest Wed 29-Mar-17 16:45:03

Could you have PCOS? It causes dark hair, acne and insulin sensitivity that can lead to abdominal fat.

ahamsternest Wed 29-Mar-17 16:46:50

Posted too soon!

I have some advice about acne (I have been diagnosed with PCOS): have a look at this for tips on getting a skincare routine ://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/

Also you can get medication for acne from a dermatologist in some cases.

I used to have crap skin but I now use a gentle foaming cleanser, gel with retinol in (for oily skin) and factor 50 sunscreen and my skin is really good.

GreyStars Wed 29-Mar-17 16:48:03

I'm not very hairy but hate shaving with a passion as I have very sensitive and dry skin (E45 and coconut oil is the best thing I've found to keep my skin in condition)

I invested in a NoNo which was great, been using it for a while and can't remember the last time I had to shave my legs, but I'm not a very hairy person just irritated my skin like mad shaving.

Neverknowing Wed 29-Mar-17 16:52:21

This sounds awful op! I agree with PP about diet, excercise and drinking water helping with your skin. Drinking lots of water will also help with keeping your weight constant, I'm certain no one else has noticed the things you're insecure about either. I would maybe talk to a doctor about all these things if you haven't already because they may relate to something else and it might be an easy fix! Also, if you need any help with your skin feel free to message me, it's what I do for a living if I had a bit more info I might be able to help flowers

Chathamhouserules Wed 29-Mar-17 16:55:19

I feel your pain with the hair. I make sure I cover up if I haven't had time/money to tackle it. I don't wear vests or sleeveless tops really. And lots of nice loose cotton trousers about.
And then you don't have to bother with sunscreen!
And try to be strict about taking an hour a week or so to sort out other things. You'll hopefully get in a good routine.

Chathamhouserules Wed 29-Mar-17 16:57:54

Maybe try to eat really healthily too if you don't already. Is there particular foods which set off the acne eczema? Chocolate makes my skin look inflamed.

Libbylove2015 Wed 29-Mar-17 17:02:54

Sympathy - I have hideous acne. Am currently pregnant so have totally let myself go and it is so liberating!

If it is any consolation, since I have been up the duff I have not touched caffeine, alcohol and barely any sugar, and it has not made a single difference to my acne, which is worse if anything - completely contrary to what my beauty therapist told me.

The only thing I found that worked for acne was a glycolic acid facial peel - sounds drying but when done at a salon and followed up properly in line with their advice, it made all the difference to me for about six months. Can't do that now but have found the Facetheory range of glycolic cleansers on Amazon (4% - low enough for preg) help.

Hey, at least it is still black tight weather. I am hairy and have disgusting varicose veins to boot!

KindDogsTail Wed 29-Mar-17 17:07:30

I can't find a moisturiser that doesn't give me worse acne.
You could try something from Avene - ask for help. Large branches of Boots sell it.

Have you been checked for PCOS? If you have PCOS perhaps you could try changing your diet to the Mediterranean Low-Blood sugar diet M Mosley wrote about.

expatinscotland Wed 29-Mar-17 17:09:38

I feel your pain! Perimenopause has not been kind - acne with dry skin. My hair is a limp, stringy, thin mess with baldness at the front and right side. I'm fairly fit and slender, but thinking of wearing a niqab to cover my hair and face.

expatinscotland Wed 29-Mar-17 17:11:20

Diet won't make a difference to your skin if you acne is hormone-based.

ijustwannadance Wed 29-Mar-17 17:13:07

I'm pasty, hairy, spotty and have eczema and pcos. Sooo attractive!

Lumea was the best money I ever spent. Sorted the hairiness. Sugar is definately my enemy.

Do you have medication for the fungus/exzema thing?

specialsubject Wed 29-Mar-17 17:13:31

that does sound like something medically wrong. Have you been checked for PCOS etc? And what is being done to treat the fungal infection?

KindDogsTail Wed 29-Mar-17 17:19:12

expatinscotland
Diet won't make a difference to your skin if you acne is hormone-based

The thing is that diet affects hormones.

Bitchfromhell Wed 29-Mar-17 17:31:35

My Lumea didn't reduce hair growth, it did kill some of the hair but it all grew back. I persevered with it but ended up realising that they aren't suitable for everyone.
I now use a good epilator for my face and torso about once a fortnight. I shave my legs and underarms every day. I use Jolen bleach on my arms at the start of summer.

My acne was cured by roaccutane in 6 weeks.

My eczema flares occasionally, I use palmers cocoa butter on my body and occasionally daktarin on my hands if it looks fungally and infected. I also bought a really good steamer for cleaning the house as sprays/gloves are the worst for my hands.

In the shower I only use original source gels as even though scented, they are the only thing that doesn't make me itch. I also only use towels once/twice max.

I also cut out processed food.

I look close to normal now in the dark if you squint grin

Bitchfromhell Wed 29-Mar-17 17:37:07

Forgot, the roaccutane is permanently drying for the skin, now I use Nivea, the old fashioned one in a blue tub. It's better than creme de la mer for scars etc imo.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 29-Mar-17 17:48:04

As little as possible.
Henna my hair every 4wks and just use a cover powder for roots until i can be bothered.
At night i rotate between a few moisturisers and retinol. Sometimes i just leave everything off my skin cause i like it and i like to let it breath.
In the morning some moisturiser on my face and serum on my neck as its getting crepey then blush, eyeliner and mascara and I am good to go.
As for body, nothing. I dont excercise because i hate it and i know i wont maintain it so whats the point? I like walking though and fitting excercise into my day rather than going to a class or gym yawn
My nails i have to hacksaw off. They are uber thick. My legs are shaved in the summer.
I have a bit of a shadow on my upper lip so i bleach that when i henna. Thats me.

ginorwine Wed 29-Mar-17 17:50:10

Cepatphil moisture cream didn't irritate dd spots - it is v gentle .

expatinscotland Wed 29-Mar-17 18:06:15

'The thing is that diet affects hormones'

When you have PCOS, but blanket bans on dairy or the like when you don't have an underlying condition isn't medically prescribed treatment for hormonal acne.

AtrociousCircumstance Wed 29-Mar-17 18:27:01

ahamsternest can you share the exact products you use please? smile

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 29-Mar-17 18:42:03

Another Hairy Mary here - I don't have PCOS, am just part gorilla. In the summer I have to shave every day if I want to go bare legged - in fact I could do it before work in the shower at 6.30, and feel stubbly by teatime. My solution is midi skirts/dresses, so I don't need to do the whole lot, and nude fishnets if I end up having to skip a day.

In terms of other stuff, I do full body lotioning after my shower every day - it just becomes habit and takes minutes - hair cut every six weeks religiously, eyebrows threaded once a fortnight, do my own nails every couple of days, and do evening skincare immediately I get in from work so I don't end up being too lazy. I also have a bath every Friday evening and do a pedicure, regardless of the time of year, plus face masks - that tends to be the only time I shave in winter too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now