Talk

Advanced search

Perfume for wedding, wwyd? Sentimental question

(23 Posts)
Kione Wed 29-Mar-17 14:34:51

I am getting married in August, I am late thirties, two kids, been 11 years with DP. (For background)
I live perfumes and they ara big part of my life/hobby. I have loads.
I have 3 main options for my wedding day but I can't decide what to go for! The reason why I wear a perfume is almost more important that the scent itself. So:
1. My late mum's signature (Empreinte de Courreges) I also own her last bottle and I'd love a picture with or applying it.
2. The perfume I always thought I'd use on my wedding day, since I was little, before my mum passed ( Gió by Giorgio Armani) long discontinued, I own a mini and a decant.
3. One of the ones DP has bought me although he really is not bothered (Parisienne L'Extreme or Tresor)
Or something totally different?? What would you do?

Kione Wed 29-Mar-17 14:35:16

*Love, not liveconfused

Bluwilllowtree Wed 29-Mar-17 14:37:50

If I was you I'd without a doubt go for the one that was your mums.

OlennasWimple Wed 29-Mar-17 14:38:35

1 or 2

How about wearing 1 on the day, and 2 on the first day of your honeymoon? (Or vice versa)

xStefx Wed 29-Mar-17 14:39:10

Your mums I think x

Misericord Wed 29-Mar-17 14:40:13

1 or 2. The advantage of 2 of course is that a bridesmaid with a bag can carry a mini around so you can reapply (you'll get quite sweaty and they tend to be really long days). But the reasons for 1 are lovely.

Kione Wed 29-Mar-17 14:41:16

Thanks Bluewillowtree

We are not having a honeymoon. No one can have the kids and we are going away next year with them smile

Kione Wed 29-Mar-17 14:44:06

Misericord I have a fresh bottle of mums signature and I can put some in a decant to reapply through the day too.
I can do the same with option 3 but not so popular I see grin

Kione Wed 29-Mar-17 14:48:50

Thanks xStefx

anon050 Wed 29-Mar-17 14:49:38

I lost my mother before I married, so thinking about your options, the first one hit me with the most emotion. Unless, you have something of your mother's that you can wear/ carry that is equally special, I'd wear her perfume. It's obviously important you incorporate your mother into your special day. And since you love perfume, the most special perfume you treasure is the way to go.

If you have an alternative, I would go for option 2, however in the meantime I'd go and indulge yourself by going around all the perfume counters and see if anything smell as gorgeous as number 2. Maybe try out some classics like Creed ( if you haven't already tested them!).

Congratulations on your wedding smile

MrsPringles Wed 29-Mar-17 14:50:49

Your mums. Without a doubt. What a lovely idea flowers

Kione Wed 29-Mar-17 14:54:11

Thanks anon050
To find something that hits me like option 2 is almost a lifelong quest grin and that is how I got to own so many! I have many favourites that I could use, but I they don't mean anything.IYKWIM

Kione Wed 29-Mar-17 14:54:52

Lovely MrsPringles thank you

amymel2016 Wed 29-Mar-17 14:55:45

Your mums xx

Bitchycocktailwaitress Wed 29-Mar-17 14:56:35

Your mums

DalaHorse Wed 29-Mar-17 14:57:24

Option 2. I think your mums perfume should remind you of your mum and your wedding perfume should remind you of your wedding. If you wear your mums perfume on your wedding day it will not remind you as strongly of your mum alone, which is quite special.

Also I think wearing one perfume intensely in the run up and during the wedding but not after, until quite some time has passed is the best way to evoke the wedding memory through scent. So I would wear the gio as it was your childhood wedding dream perfume, and then not touch it for at least six months after the wedding.

Kione Wed 29-Mar-17 19:33:59

That is a good point DalaHorse, probably why it is such a hard decision.
But majority is saying option 1...

DalaHorse Wed 29-Mar-17 20:17:52

I am a perfume lover too, with many many perfumes so I really understand the importance of your choice.
i think you've just got to go with your gut instinct, once all options have been explored.
All the best for your big day and sorry for the loss of your mum x

ToffeeForEveryone Wed 29-Mar-17 20:29:50

1 without a doubt. You have her last bottle. When else are you going to use it?

tappitytaptap Wed 29-Mar-17 21:55:20

Ditto what Toffee said. Perfect way to have a little piece of your mum there, a great idea.

VintagePerfumista Thu 30-Mar-17 15:10:03

Absolutely your Mum's.

That way you know she is with you. flowers

Theyhaveallbeenused2 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:12:34

I'd go for your mum's then it's a nod to her on the big day and you will get your photo

Kione Thu 30-Mar-17 18:38:19

Thanks all.
Every year I wear her perfume on her birthday, all day, and then cook her favourite food in the evening with a glass of cava smile
Maybe it will be nice to remember her and my wedding day at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now