Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 40 with a negligible skin routine - help!

(15 Posts)
Raaraaboonah Tue 28-Mar-17 18:38:14

I've always been crap at the skin care/make up thing but in recent years I've been trying hard to get the make up side a bit more refined. And I think I'm winning so far in not looking too much like a sack of shit so that is good.

But I've never had great skin. Think patchy redness and frequent breakouts with hormonal peaks. I was just thinking on the train home I should really do something about getting a better routine.

And i hit me that I'm 40 next year and basically have done little to do anything to either improve my skin or stop any ageing effects. My current routine is removal of make up with an all in one wipe and moisturise morning and evening. It's probably just not good enough is it?

Having dipped my toe into the style and beauty threads I can see I'm way behind the curve. So help.

What should I be doing as a minimum? I have three small boys for children and a hectic job four days a week so little time for myself. That needs to change but I just don't know where to start. Any ideas?

bluefeathers Tue 28-Mar-17 18:47:39

Minimum after using a face wipe you still need to clean - try Liz Earle hot cloth cleansing balm with a (clean every time) hot (not boiling) wet flannel (massage balm into face, wipe off with wet flannel that you have wrung out (i.e. It's wet not dropping). Then apply a serum, e.g. No.7 protect and perfect as it's not over expensive and has been proven to prevent wrinkles, and a gentle face moisturiser e.g. From Avene in Boots. Daytime, always wear a sun block, factor 30+ e.g. From Avene which is for sensitive skin or Clinique City Block. I don't worry about a separate eye cream, not convinced they make a difference. I'm 44 and typically mistaken for 35. But taken care of skin, veggie, no smoking and worn sunblock every day since age 18...

BarchesterFlowers Tue 28-Mar-17 19:16:02

I use a hot flannel and soap followed by a No7 moisturiser, whatever is on offer when I need some.

You only need to do more if you want to. Nearly 50 here and my skin is great.

Itsmytemporaryname Tue 28-Mar-17 21:23:45

I just read the double cleanse thread so started trying it and actually have noticed a difference.
I use micellar water first then another oil based cleanser (I couldn't tell you what it is as it was in my birch box). I have a bit of a block about washing my face with water in the evening so anything I can do with a cotton wool pad works for me.
I had serums in the box too - I had no idea what they were for until I read that thread but one of them is great. It goes on after my shower in the morning but before moisturiser.
I don't know how it works but it seems to smooth me out and look a bit airbrushed.

TearGas Tue 28-Mar-17 21:58:22

This is my routine (40s):
Una Brennan rose facial oil from Boots (use as pre cleanser)
Dr Lancer face scrub
Liz Earle cleanser
Eve Lom eye cream
Embryolisse moisturiser

explodingkittens Tue 28-Mar-17 22:51:06

This is what I do, OP:

Remove makeup with Garnier micellar water and cotton wool
Waitrose hot cloth cleanser (gently wipe off with hot, wrung-out flannel, then press flannel to face a few times for 'steam' effect)
Waitrose serum
Good blob of Astral cream all over face, paying particular attention to neck! In the mornings I will use a lighter moisturiser eg Nivea (white tub) because the Astral is very heavy but it's fab for a night cream. And cheap as chips!

I'll also now and again use a mask if I get ten mins in the bath (currently using Boots red clay mask) and also picked up a sample bottle of Paula's Choice 2% BHA serum which is amazing for keeping the wrinkles at bay, although my skin can be a bit prone to sensitivity so I only use it a couple of times a week.

I'm 44 in a couple of months and I now get compliments on my skin all the time. I used to suffer from adult acne and a good skincare routine really helps with breakouts. It really is worth doing; it's like my little ritual now and I actually enjoy it. I don't use expensive products either, as you can see!

OlennasWimple Wed 29-Mar-17 02:31:26

I'm a similar age to you, and seem to have similar skin too. I got on top of my breakouts with a twice daily routine of:

- wash face with warm water
- dry with clean towel
- apply Cetaphil moisturiser for oily skin

I also have some excellent American pharmaceuticals, which I use occasionally as needed: a tablet called spironolactone, which is more effective than any brand of pill I have taken to combat hormonal acne; and an antibiotic topical gel. I also use a tretinoid gel, prescribed for acne scars but it's doing an amazing job at erasing the lines that appeared on my forehead in the last two years...

Raaraaboonah Wed 29-Mar-17 16:06:54

Thanks for the ideas. At the heart of it is that I'm probably a bit lazy when it comes to me and I touch my face too much during the day.

But the common theme seems to be some sort of cleanser with flannel combo so I've ordered a Liz Earle thing. Coincidentally I've also ordered a Paula's choice 2% bha something so need to look into exactly what that is/will do.

I think some sort of consistent routine will help with a lot of it blush

Now what is this airbrushing serum. We need to know more temporaryname . What is it called and where do we get it??

Itsmytemporaryname Wed 29-Mar-17 17:03:27

It's this one.
I don't know if it's expensive as it's a little sample size one that came in the birch box.
It seems to close up the pores a bit and leave my skin looking sort of matte and smooth. It smells lovely too.

Itsmytemporaryname Wed 29-Mar-17 17:04:42

Ha, 'dry and ageing'. Sounds about right grin

Sallygoroundthemoon Wed 29-Mar-17 17:08:37

Ditch the wipes. They are great for emergencies but not every day as they can cause breakouts and dryness. I agree with everyone who has said a hot cloth cleanser . I then follow with a facial wash then moisturise. I do this in the evening and in the morning just use water or the facial wash then moisturise.

Itsmytemporaryname Wed 29-Mar-17 17:11:49

I would say be careful with the cloth cleansers. I have to wash mine every time I use it otherwise I get spots.
I guess the muslin ones are a bit abrasive so introduce bacteria into the skin if not clean. Yuk.

bluefeathers Wed 29-Mar-17 17:19:14

Sounds great. If you have patchy redness and breakouts it sounds as though you have sensitive skin, so I would be careful with a BHA cream, or at least don't use it too often. Dairy can cause breakouts so you could try ditching the dairy for 3-4 weeks and see if it helps.

bluefeathers Thu 30-Mar-17 07:14:17

Itsmytemporaryname - gosh indeed - you must always use a clean fresh flannel every time, never reuse a dirty one or you will get spots. Ikea and eBay sell 10 flannels very cheaply, I have 20 so I never run out, and keep them folded by the sink

Itsmytemporaryname Thu 30-Mar-17 17:22:34

I learned the hard way about leaving my crumpled wet one hanging over the shower head grin
Not blessed with common sense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now