Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Pandora jewellery regrets??

(31 Posts)
theatreboots Tue 28-Mar-17 14:44:18

i've lost interest in my Pandora collection, hardly ever wear my bracelets any more, and feeling really guilty about how much i spent on those charms over the years. am i the only one??

highinthesky Tue 28-Mar-17 14:47:45

We all move on from some of the material things we purchase, but it doesn't mean we need to lose all the money spent on them.

Gumtree is your friend.

Faz2015 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:07:06

eBay!!!

theatreboots Tue 28-Mar-17 16:29:07

won't get much off ebay so i guess i'll be keeping them :/ went on a collecting frenzy for a few years but now can't help but think i coulda gotten a nice tiffany or cartier piece. what was i thinking??

Lilmisskittykat Tue 28-Mar-17 16:42:53

I know what you are saying.. but I think even when I get fed up of wearing it I'll still love it as each charm has meaning and is from someone.

That way it's priceless and not a waste of money in my eyes.. as they remind me of events/people

BusterGonad Tue 28-Mar-17 16:55:11

If you had bought a Tiffany piece I expect you'll be bored by that by now too, I've sent loads on make up and clothes but at the time they made me feel good and got me through a rubbish time, when I've felt ugly, sad or just needed a boost. Don't feel bad.

Diamonddealeroncemore Tue 28-Mar-17 17:19:52

I don't wear mine anymore but it's still special to me, the bracelet was a 'big' birthday present from my mum and my DH and kids bought me the charms. Mind you my then employer had the local Pandora franchise so nobody paid more than half price for any of it!

ShelaghTurner Tue 28-Mar-17 17:34:20

I don't really wear mine anymore but I still love it. Mainly I don't wear it because it's full and therefore heavy. If I had any money I would buy one of the leather bracelets and wear one or two charms on that.

Icequeen01 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:41:11

I didn't wear my Pandora bracelet for a little while but kept it in the box it came in. When I went to wear it again the bracelet and charms had all gone black! I went into my local Pandora who told me they had never come across this before but I could pay to have it all cleaned. I googled Pandora bracelets going black and it would appear this is common problem with them. I never bothered paying for the bracelet and charms to be cleaned. It's languishing at the bottom of my drawer somewhere now hmm

AteRiri Tue 28-Mar-17 22:45:36

I never had a Pandora bracelet. But curious - are they silver?

Icequeen01 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:49:14

Not sure if they are just dipped silver to be honest as it says you shouldn't clean it with silver cleaner or silver dip. I tried cleaning mine with soapy water and a toothbrush. Didn't budge the black staining at all!

Toddlerteaplease Tue 28-Mar-17 23:01:37

Never understood the fuss with Pandora and I did by Tiffany instead. I still wear it everyday and will never get bored of it or go out of fashion.

Lululooselips Tue 28-Mar-17 23:03:29

They're 925 sterling but the darker detailing on the charms is oxidised so if you use a harsh cleaner on it then it will come off. Warm water and some liquid soap will clean mild dirt, if it's tarnished then a silver polishing cloth will get it good as new.

Lululooselips Tue 28-Mar-17 23:04:24

Next

AteRiri Tue 28-Mar-17 23:07:41

Icequeen01 - try toothpaste? I mean, if it's black then I guess you have nothing to lose if it ruins it.

I'm so glad I didn't give in to the hype!

Icequeen01 Tue 28-Mar-17 23:09:00

I tried a silver cloth too, didn't shift the black either. I now have a Tiffany Bracelet and Necklace which I wear all the time and I've never had this problem.

Icequeen01 Tue 28-Mar-17 23:15:18

Never heard of using toothpaste! As you say, it's worth trying as the bracelet is just sitting in my drawers now. I just feel sorry for all my family and friends who paid good money to buy me the bracelet and charms.

AteRiri Tue 28-Mar-17 23:24:07

Icequeen - I used toothpaste to take away the black in the zippers of my leather jacket. It worked. Crossing fingers it's going to work for you too!

Icequeen01 Tue 28-Mar-17 23:26:06

I work in a school and will break up on Friday for Easter. It will give me something to do whilst I'm off 😀 Thanks for the tip!

AteRiri Tue 28-Mar-17 23:31:55

Icequeen01 - No worries. Hope it works! You need a lot of tissue when the black starts to rub off smile

FrostyPopThePenguinLord Tue 28-Mar-17 23:48:51

I was late to the Pandora party as I thought it would be silly to ask for something so expensive when I could never wear it because I was working with the horses etc and it would get snagged or something.
Since selling the horse and having a husband who struggles with gifts for birthday and Xmas it's been invaluable, I can set up the 'wishlist' online and he can go and check it, plus he is pretty good about getting ones with meaning as well (I got some bells for our wedding etc).
I love mine because they are all from my husband and all have meaning but I don't particularly like the bracelet as an item of jewellery!😂😂😂 I much prefer wearing my Tiffany bracelet as a fashion piece but it still means the world to me and I wear it on special occasions like anniversaries.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 29-Mar-17 04:17:49

One of my former colleagues wanted a Pandora bracelet, and was very happy when she saw the Pandora bag after she gave birth to her First baby. Unfortunately her husband had bought her a pair of earrings instead. I don't think it went down well!

Toffeelatteplease Wed 29-Mar-17 07:00:02

If it is silver it needs wearing to avoid being tarnished. Any silver not worn will do it.

Rub it between your fingers or hands and eventually the tarnish will come off

Kennington Wed 29-Mar-17 07:06:38

Silver can be cleaned with baking soda and water and some aluminium foil stuck in it.
Have done it on jewellery lots although I don't have pandora it will work on this too.

MadisonAvenue Wed 29-Mar-17 07:19:19

I was going to suggest the same as Kennington. I don't have any Pandora so haven't tried that but I clean silver by putting a piece of foil in the bottom of a dish, put in baking soda and water and then add the silver jewellery. I've cleaned tarnished items that way and they come up like new.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: