Talk

Advanced search

Could you give me an opinion on whether this dress would suit...?

(19 Posts)
JessiCake Mon 27-Mar-17 21:26:52

... a 70 year old, EXTREMELY slim (really really birdlike, size 6 on a fat day) quite short (5 foot 2 ish) very beautiful woman?

My MIL is getting herself in a real pickle trying to find a dress for her 70th party and after I pointed her towards the Outnet, she found this.

She's also in a pickle about the whole 'just order it and try it and see what you think' thing... she won't just do that unless I tell her if I think it WILL suit her or not.

I think it may swamp her but I can tell she doesn't want to hear that... but am I right?

www.theoutnet.com/en-GB/Shop/Product/Iris-and-Ink/Zanna-silk-shirt-dress/722703

She's a tricky one because she simultaneously wants to fade into the background and be the star of the show and I think that's why she's having a hard time finding something. A plain shift in her usual grey/navy palette doesn't feel special enough to her, but she would NEVER wear colour or anything more frou-frou in shape.

Advice much appreciated!!

Iamastonished Mon 27-Mar-17 21:28:31

It looks very long. If you compare the length of the skirt with the length of the top part it looks like it would swamp her.

JessiCake Mon 27-Mar-17 21:29:09

Yes iam that's what I think... she is very petite indeed

FloatyCat Mon 27-Mar-17 21:40:58

It says model is 5'9", so yes I think it will be much too long.

Bluntness100 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:44:25

It's lovely on the model but she would need to recognise it would be seven inches longer on her. So yes it would swamp her. I imagine the sleeves would also be s little long as well as where the waist sits. She probably needs to go for a petite specific style.

JessiCake Mon 27-Mar-17 21:49:10

Yep I just moticed the model is 5 foot 9 too... thanks all! Will try to help her find something else...

missyB1 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:51:14

It will swamp her. With her figure she needs something more fitted.

Tartle Mon 27-Mar-17 22:22:54

Can you take her to John Lewis and book her a personal shopper? It was really good when my Nan needed an outfit for my brothers wedding.

OlennasWimple Mon 27-Mar-17 23:13:50

Yes too long!

How about something like this if it's an evening party

This one? (It will be much shorter on her

This is she prefers something a little looser and not black, and would get the hem taken up

More casual but can be dressed up with jewellry

This is beautiful - simple and dressy at the same time

Lucked Mon 27-Mar-17 23:55:16

This looks perfect but more expensive. LK Bennett

ChishandFips33 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:27:21

I'm assuming from her choice she'd like sleeves?

dressed up with an amazing necklace

Could order some from next to get her to try for different shapes/fit/a little colour to see how she feels

It may take a while for her to grow comfortable in something that's not the 'norm'

plain but a different colour

Photo 1 colour but muted/dull

Photo 2 a little colour

JessiCake Tue 28-Mar-17 10:21:15

Thanks everyone! Chips - yep, youre' spot on, she'd like a sleeve! Will check out those Next ones properly... thank you.

Olenna'sWimple, thanks, too - have had a quick look at the first one and I think it would look fab on her, will show her that and the others too...

John Lewis personal shopper would be a great idea actually but the party is this weekend - is that too late?

Thanks so much everyone, hugely appreciated

ChishandFips33 Tue 28-Mar-17 11:59:44

Hope she finds something she's happy with and has a great day

flowers For your MiL

dailystuck71 Tue 28-Mar-17 13:20:34

I think it would look like a dressing gown on her. Hope she has a great day though!

Rhubarbara Tue 28-Mar-17 15:51:41

That LK Bennett one is lovely.

oxcat1 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:04:47

I totally adore the last one of Wimple's post, but I guess that since she wants a sleeve (just the one?), that's a no go...? It might feel too extrovert for her, but it is stunning.

OlennasWimple Tue 28-Mar-17 20:11:03

oxcat, I've also fallen completely in love with it too. I'm trying to think of an occasion coming up to justify buying it....

PetalMettle Tue 28-Mar-17 20:16:17

I like this
m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Eliza+J+Crushed+taff+dress+with+jacket/231241178,default,pd.html
And this but she may consider £17 isn't enough for her big day! m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Therapy+Memphis+Print+Bodycon+Dress/257741502,default,pd.html
This is lovely if short sleeves work
m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Phase+Eight+Adelphia+Lace+Layer+Dress/241835903,default,pd.html
This is elegant
m.johnlewis.com/reiss-coralie-plisse-top-dress-indigo/p/3148237

DelphiniumBlue Tue 28-Mar-17 22:59:48

The ElizaJ dress would look lovely on someone very slim, and it's in fairly subtle colours, and has arm coverage. And the design is slightly unusual.
I think the navy shirt dress suggested is not formal enough for an evening do, and it doesn't look as if it would fit her - way too long. Has she looked in Precis, or Minuet for a petite fit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now