Talk

Advanced search

Fine, flat hair with rats tails - Any ideas for what I can do with it?

(11 Posts)
SadHairDay Mon 27-Mar-17 21:02:06

I really would love to try some pretty hair styles that don't take too long to do but would make my hair a bit more interesting.

I don't really have the best start to work with; it needs blow drying with thickening product and ideally big Velcro rollers to look its best, but I would love to see some ideas for styles that are a little quicker to do.

For example, I'd love to twist and pin some bits but would they look crap?? Could I plait a bit of it without it looking too flat to my head?

SadHairDay Mon 27-Mar-17 21:02:35

All I do right now is roughly blow dry, part off centre and just leave it straight and hanging!

FloatyCat Mon 27-Mar-17 21:42:44

The rats tails sound bad tbh! Do you need to cut it shorter to bulk it out a bit? Maybe a blunt bob?

SadHairDay Mon 27-Mar-17 22:16:03

Well it's a phrase my mum used yet googling seems to indicate it's gone out of fashion somewhat! I just mean that it doesn't hang and swoosh but sort of separates into strands smile

I do have a long-ish blunt cut which looks a lot better than layers but I'd love to do something with it in terms of a 'do' for work and things like that. The other women where I work wear their hair in different styles every day, they're so creative, and I wondered if anything works for fine, flat hair!

SadHairDay Mon 27-Mar-17 22:17:39

Ah apparently the phrase these days is "stringy hair"! grin

Maudlinmaud Mon 27-Mar-17 22:24:22

You could tong it into loose waves. I have a big barrel curling tong that does the job and it's fairly easy to do. I've seen my dd plait her hair then clamp the straighteners all the way down the plait then undo it and hey presto waves. Have you got a babyliss big hair? Fabulous for swooshy hair.

MaryLennoxsScowl Mon 27-Mar-17 22:34:54

I have this problem too, watching to see if anyone has a magic solution! I like the plait and straighteners suggestion, but I need lift near my head as my hair isn't very long.

MaryLennoxsScowl Mon 27-Mar-17 22:36:09

I should say that I class using curling tongs as far more effort than I can fit in before work, I might do it for a night out though.

SadHairDay Tue 28-Mar-17 06:53:35

Fab idea @Maudlinmaud, I will try it this morning if I have time but if not will definitely try tomorrow! (Have wasted a bit of time on MN this morning!) grin

SadHairDay Tue 28-Mar-17 19:11:39

Didn't have time to do it this morning but I will tomorrow!

SadHairDay Fri 31-Mar-17 11:53:54

Thank you to @Maudlinmaud's DD as I would never have thought to use the straighteners to heat up a plait but I've tried it today and so far it's still looking really good, with some body and a bit of life for a change! flowers

Any other fab tips?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now