Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me find my perfect dress?

(16 Posts)
margaritasbythesea Mon 27-Mar-17 20:57:04

I have been nuting a dress like this forever and I did in fact buy this last week. It is perfect for all my fussy requirements -

A lowish neckline
Long sleeves
knee length (or below)
soft colour
plant-based fibre - (especially no polyester)

I was so happy when I bought it hom but then DH, who is a great judge, immediately said, 'the pockets make you look too wide,' and it is true. the completely unnecessary pockets make actually really unflattering. I am bereft.

I really need to have my arms and upper legs covered due to an allergy and I need a low neckline because of largeish boobs, and I need a non-plasticky fibre as I live in a very hot country. Have you seen anything that matches what I want? I would be very grateful!

Sunshineandlaughter Mon 27-Mar-17 21:00:11

You need a wrap dress for shape.

Rinceoir Mon 27-Mar-17 21:04:30

Shirt Dress - don't know if this would be ok with larger boobs? And other stories have some nice shirt dresses too.

Pistachiois50pmore Mon 27-Mar-17 21:12:33

i wouldn't listen to men but there you go. They'll have you dressing like Holly Willoughby with nude hold ups if you're not careful.

H&M group (so H&M, Cos, & Other Stories) do this dress shape a lot so if you stalk those three websites there'll be a similar one along soon enough.

Wideness is more about the placing of the pocket than their existence - slightly higher or further back and you might prefer it.

Wrong colour and slightly different but Whistles do this dress shape or v similar most seasons www.whistles.com/women/sale/dresses/lulu-dress-24855.html?dwvar_lulu-dress-24855_color=Burgundy#srule=price-low-to-high&sz=60&start=1 (I have a black one from 2015 that is v slimming despite pockets)

margaritasbythesea Mon 27-Mar-17 21:33:10

Oh he really wouldn't pistachio. He has a good eye.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realise those three were in the same group. I will hunt.

I like that Lulu dress. I'm​going to try and find it or similar whistles somewhere with good international delivery.

margaritasbythesea Tue 28-Mar-17 06:03:31

Whistles are so expensive!

KikiDeliversCakes Tue 28-Mar-17 08:35:45

John Lewis has that Whistles dress for £45 in several colours (I've got the black and navy). It's enormous btw, I'm a 32FF, usually wear a Large in places like Topshop or a 14 in H&M but bought that dress in a Small.

N0tfinished Tue 28-Mar-17 09:35:11

Could you get the perfect dress you have altered?

margaritasbythesea Tue 28-Mar-17 09:58:30

I'm not sure what would make it look better notfinished but i might. Lots of tailors here.

Thanks for the John Lewis tip Mimi. I'm off to have a look.

margaritasbythesea Tue 28-Mar-17 09:58:52

Kiki sorry - autocorrect!

makemineadoubleplease Tue 28-Mar-17 11:10:19

Are the pockets gaping and this causing the problem? If so maybe try get the openings sewed up so they are like fake pockets!

margaritasbythesea Tue 28-Mar-17 13:34:55

No not really and that's why I hadn't appreciated it in the shop. It is that you can see the lines of two big squarters across the hips and it is like an optical illusion making me look much wider than I am.

makemineadoubleplease Tue 28-Mar-17 16:37:02

Seam rip the pockets off? That can be risky though because it might leave a discoloured mark shock

PonderLand Tue 28-Mar-17 16:40:56

How about a thin fabric type belt for your waist? I usually do that if I find a dress that makes my shape look different.

PonderLand Tue 28-Mar-17 16:43:34

Something like this size?

margaritasbythesea Wed 29-Mar-17 05:55:23

Thanks but I really want a loose dress because of the heat here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now