We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone swapped hairdressers after many years?

(9 Posts)
PugwallsSummer Mon 27-Mar-17 20:14:19

I have had the same hairdresser for 12 years. She has become a friend.

I really like her but over time her prices have increased steadily, and I always leave with the same style. When I have asked for different things she has been reluctant or hasn't done quite what I've asked for (I don't think she has continued to top up her training over time). I am paying £90+ for an all over color and trim (no highlights, layers or anything particularly technical as far as I am aware). I don't mind paying this, or more, if I feel good when I leave, but I don't really. It's not even a particularly pampering environment in the salon so it doesn't even feel like a treat - more like a chore...

I'd really like to try somewhere new, with up-to-date training, where I can feel confident that i'll get what I want and feel a bit pampered. I don't mind paying more.

It's just so awkward as we will inevitably bump into each other and we're also friends on social media. I do like her so it isn't personal but I know she'd be hurt.

How do I go about this without causing huge offense?

sonlypuppyfat Mon 27-Mar-17 20:17:52

You could colour your own hair for a fiver!! I had to drop my lovely hairdresser after she butchered my hair. Ask around for recommendations

NicolaMarlowsMerlin Mon 27-Mar-17 20:18:43

totally get this. I changed hairdressers after my wedding as they'd mucked my colour up about 2 months before and although they'd got it back to a reasonable colour, I was fed up and bored. Big deal that the head of the salon had always done my mum's hair, had known me since I was a baby etc etc.

But I just changed. Made an appt somewhere new and have never gone back. My mum still goes to them. No awkwardness, she says they ask after me and I send my love back. I felt bad about it but clearly it happens. Just do it.

Iris65 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:20:42

Hairdressers know that sometimes people want a change. I am a serial monogamist with hairdressers. I'll stick for a few years - 10 was my longest.
I found that some start to take you for granted, that's when I moved from a couple. They got a bit sloppy and I find complaining really difficult when its a personal service and I'll be seeing them again!
A new approach can be really refreshing for you and your hair. 😀👱‍♀️

PugwallsSummer Mon 27-Mar-17 20:21:06

sonly that's what I am coming to realize. My finances aren't as healthy as they once were so I really begrudge spending so much on something that doesn't make me feel great. I'd rather pay more and leave happy.

How did you broach it with your hairdresser or did you just leave? Did you see her afterwards?

sonlypuppyfat Mon 27-Mar-17 20:24:04

Well she is a mobile hairdresser and she texts me , but I just tell her we're growing our hair! You could have a lovely treat with £90 don't blow it on a colour

ShangriLaLaLa Mon 27-Mar-17 20:24:31

I am on the verge of this too. My hairdresser has bullied me to go shorter and shorter as I've got older and I looked at myself in the mirror yesterday and it hit me it wasn't me. The cut is fantastic. It is simple to look after but I'm just not happy with it or him.

I've found another salon. Bit more old school, less scary hipster, similar pricings. I've had my colour done there and loved it. Next stage is to go for a cut. I guess I'm doing it in slow stages. Unlike you, I won't bump into him but regardless of this I'm telling myself that he is a professional and that this is a commercial decision. Well, that's the theory anyway. Good luck and I hope you get the haircut that you really want!

PugwallsSummer Mon 27-Mar-17 20:24:46

Thanks for the reassurance nicola & iris.

PugwallsSummer Mon 27-Mar-17 20:35:54

Thanks all. I think I'm going to go for it. My sister goes to a pricier salon in the same city, but she always leaves with exactly what she asks for and they even show her techniques for styling at home. They are offering a new client discount, so I think I'll give them a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now