We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Veneers?

(12 Posts)
pho3be Mon 27-Mar-17 14:55:16

Anyone with experience give me advice?
My teeth are fine, couple of missing ones, braces as a kid to straighten them pull them right back sad

But...They can't be seen when I smile or talk confused sounds weird I know but unless i belly laugh theyre never seen.
I've got a real confidence issue about it, i saw a work video of myself talking recently & it looked like i had no teeth & sort of flappy lips!! shock I think prominent teeth are really attractive, what can I do?
I've been looking at previous threads & general consensus is not to have veneers on healthy teeth because the have to be filed down & ruined basically. I want them built up a bit at the front 6 basically, is that possible?

Mollymolly76 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:08:10

Yes it's possible but expensive. I have 4 veneers at the front as I was the same- they were too small before and not white enough so I just had the front 4 done at £400 each.

Looks loads better ...BUT.. one in particular keeps pinging off - it's happened 3 times since I had them done 10 years so have to keep going back to have it glued back on.
It just makes you feel a bit crap when it comes off because it looks even worse for that space of time sad

Redyellowpinkblue Mon 27-Mar-17 16:24:48

I had porcelain veneers when I was 20, so 12 years ago now. I paid about £1500 for 4 of them (top front 4), and it's one of my biggest regrets because looking back there was really nothing wrong with my teeth, they just weren't quite straight or aligned and I had a calcium spot on my front one. I suppose I was young and a bit vain and wanted straight teeth and a perfect smile.
Pro's: they still look nice and they don't stain, they always feel lovely and smooth, they look good in photos.
Con's: I am always aware of accidently knocking them on glasses or if the children hit me accidently in the mouth or headbutt me etc, when they do pop off they cost me £500 to replace per tooth, after 5 years or so the bond around the edges started to darken but nothing I can do about that, if I don't floss everyday stuff gets caught and it's horrid, when one does pop off my poor tooth underneath looks ridiculous and couldn't be without something on top of it now so I am a slave to the veneers!

But if I could turn back time I wouldn't have had them done, I think I was pretty vain and shortsighted and couldn't see that I was fine as I was. But if I had had teeth I was really unhappy with, then yes I think they've lasted well and if spread over 12 years they haven't been that expensive. And they do look nice and straight and stain free even though all the teeth around them have started to show the effects of wine and coffee! grin

argon18 Mon 27-Mar-17 19:13:29

I had 4 veneers done on my top front teeth in 2012. I had my teeth whitened too and it came to a total of £4K. Honestly, for me it was the best £4K I've ever spent. They still look as new.

I had gappy teeth. They were straight and healthy but I felt so self conscious. They've given me so much more confidence.

I need my teeth whitened again now really because my veneers haven't stained (they don't stain) but my teeth have a bit, although not noticeable unless you're looking for it. I'll post a pic. I don't have any before photos unfortunately!

museumum Mon 27-Mar-17 19:15:33

Try Invisalign.
I recently had them to bring my teeth out and up and forward after overzealous orthodontics in the 80s.

argon18 Mon 27-Mar-17 19:36:08

(Skinny lips!)

But as @museumum mentioned, Invisalign might be more suitable for you rather than veneers.

A cosmetic dentist should be able to give you a free consultation to let you know what your options are and what would be most suitable xx

GnusSitOnCanoes Mon 27-Mar-17 20:41:17

The thing to remember about veneers is they will need redoing, and you need the cash for that each time. Plus, the procedure is pretty invasive in terms of your own teeth. I'm wary of them - mainly because of the damage to your own teeth.

pho3be Mon 27-Mar-17 21:35:09

They look great!

Museum , do you mean that made your teeth more prominent? [Excited] don't suppose you have a before & after? Yes I think I had over zealous 80s orthodontics! The braces I had basically pulled my teeth way back sad

pho3be Mon 27-Mar-17 21:40:48

I've been reading about composite veneers which I think is where they don't alter your teeth underneath but shape the stuff over your teeth?!? Not sure if I've got that right

Honeyandfizz Mon 27-Mar-17 21:44:06

I've had my veneers in for 6 weeks now. Had front four done due to having chipped teeth and a crown, cost me 2.5k. Wish I hadn't of had them done. They look amazing BUT my teeth are very sensitive now and I get discomfort/pain most days. I keep waiting for them to settle but they haven't. Explore other options first!

Buddah101 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:30:09

I had veneers put in in 2000 - they are still in to this day - After reading some of these that are pinging off im grateful I got them done when I did, My confidence was at an all time low, and if you have an issue that you can't get out of your mind I would say go for it.

I had 4 teeth taken out when I was 8 - 2 on the top, 2 on the bottom, My bottom ones spread out and closed into the gaps but my top ones never moved, so I had 2 teeth growing behind all the others - This is where i had the veneers put in to close up the gaps. They were marvelous for years but I have noticed that I seem to get more food stuck in them these days, I can see they will need doing again soon as 1 is starting to darken around the edges - My old dentist wasn't too happy to get involved in fixing them. I would choose going to a cosmetic dentist for a free consultation and they will be able to tell you what is right for you.

museumum Tue 28-Mar-17 09:40:18

I don't have before and afters to hand but basically i had my two front teeth sloping back into my mouth and my side teeth all quite pulled inwards then my eye teeth were straight so they looked like the stuck out in comparison and were starting to overlap in front of the front teeth. I went to the ortho to ask about straightening the eye teeth but what invisalign did was leave the eye teeth largely where they were and bring all the others 'out' to meet them. I had the bottom also brought out a bit to keep my bite aligned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now