Talk

Advanced search

Black tie outfit help

(4 Posts)
sanitygirl Mon 27-Mar-17 11:19:04

I'm going to a black tie event in a couple of weeks and I need to get something to wear. I'm 5'9, size 14, decent legs but thick waist and fat/bloaty tummy. I've been doing lots of looking online, but just can't work out what to wear.

It's a reunion thing so I'll be seeing people I haven't seen for 20+ years and I'd like to look good (and not for the first thing they think when they see me to be "oh god she's put on weight" - although I have - I was v skinny back then)

I'm usually a jeans and trainers kind of person so I'm a bit lost. I prefer a clean, modern, edgy look. Can anyone help?

Brillenbar Mon 27-Mar-17 14:11:55

Try looking at finery? www.finerylondon.com/uk/products/belshaw-fold-a-line-skirt-1920aw1601blue?taxon_id=10 Skirt with top or jumpsuit is more modern than cocktail dress for black tie www.midlifechic.com/black-tie-for-women-over-40/ might be a helpful blog

knowler Mon 27-Mar-17 14:29:20

First off, don't worry about weight gain. Over the course of 20 years, practically everyone will have put on weight - it's not a crime! And at a size 14, you will definitely look fab. So, have a think about your colours and what suits you. How about something like ]]https://www.theoutnet.com/en-GB/Shop/Product/Mikael-Aghal/Tiered-ponte-dress/908263 this]] as something a bit modern and which will focus attention on your legs.

knowler Mon 27-Mar-17 14:29:53

sorry, link again: this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now