Talk

Advanced search

Help with skincare routine

(9 Posts)
NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 26-Mar-17 21:51:55

I've been dabbling for a year or so and am going to try and get into a proper skincare routine - I'm using CH as my guide

So I'm clear on double cleansing at night, and have a cream and an oil. I've also a micellar water for eye makeup removal.

Where I'm less clear is on serum/oil/moisturiser/treatments. I've got serums and a retinol treatment but don't know when to use them or which to combine. I could also do with moisturiser recommendations - I've used Nivea blue pot previously (I have some Clinique moisture surge but never found it did much - my skin got drier when using it)

Any advice?

Ollivander84 Sun 26-Mar-17 22:00:16

Face theory moisturisers are recommended a lot on here. Otherwise look at Avene or la Roche posay
What serums have you got?
I tend to use something in the am before moisturiser and then retinol is always PM before moisturiser
What do you want from the serums? Skin concerns?

MeadowHay Sun 26-Mar-17 22:25:48

Umm I'm not an expert at all lol but this is mine:

AM
Every other day wash face in shower with Boots Botanics face wash/every other day I just rinse with water.
Superdrug vitamin C eye cream & Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Serum and once that's all absorbed then I use Simple moisturiser with SPF 15 unless I'm not going out anywhere.

PM
Remove makeup with some kind of makeup remover wipes.
Cleanse with Cetaphil cleanser, rinse.
Apply The Body Shop essence of youth or whatever it's called serum. Wait for it to absorb then apply The Body Shop Tea Tree Night Lotion.

Also about once a fortnight I use a Montagne Jeunesse facemask.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Mon 27-Mar-17 13:43:05

Do I use a serum plus retinol plus moisturiser in the evening?

What I want is better skin - less open pores, dry patches, irregular skin tone, fewer lines. A base to put makeup on where my foundation doesn't sit on the top in a weird way.

I bought the body shop drops of youth serum and hydraluron, plus I have another boots one here that I can't remember what it is. I don't yet have a hydration spray or eye cream.

This morning I did one cleanse, acid tone, serum, moisturiser and spf. It feels like a lot - is that ok?

Ollivander84 Mon 27-Mar-17 13:54:39

Hydraluron is good! And yes that's perfect for AM. PM would be cleanse, retinol, moisturise

NotWithoutMyMerkin Mon 27-Mar-17 18:10:22

Thank you

Ollivander84 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:12:42

This is my routine if it helps
Am
Lotion cleanser (boots botanics)
Serum
Moisturiser

PM
Eye makeup remover
LRP toleraine or a cleansing balm

Then I either do acid/serum/moisturise or retinol/moisturise. Tend to do alternate nights

NotWithoutMyMerkin Mon 27-Mar-17 20:08:41

Ok so I shouldn't do serum and retinol at the same time. I notice that none of you seem to do the hydrating spray that Caroline pushes strongly...is there a reason?

And - how quickly can I apply the products one after another? Do I need to leave a reasonable amount of time between them for them to soak in/dry or can I slap them on immediately?

Ollivander84 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:11:06

I don't feel I need it much. I do have a couple and I use them maybe once a week?
Straight after one another is fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now