Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help find a fabulous dress for a short Apple?

(26 Posts)
ThisNight Sat 25-Mar-17 16:55:44

I am going to an event in a few weeks time - it's afternoon going into evening. It's not going to be super smart, but I do need to look fabulous!

So I am 5'5 (just), Apple shaped with a huge amount of middle peri menopausal flab. I prefer sleeves and plain colours, blues, dark pinks, purples.

Can anyone help please?

whitesklyer Sat 25-Mar-17 18:02:39

You sound like the same shape as me. Have you tried LK Bennett? something like this

ThisNight Sat 25-Mar-17 18:07:44

That's lovely White although I prefer an A line skirt. It's probably rather too formal for this event. Will browse the site, as it's not one I had thought of.

ThisNight Sat 25-Mar-17 18:11:15

Ooo, I like this

RandomMess Sat 25-Mar-17 18:21:59

I think from LK these are probably the best shapes for you?? I'm a short apple, far shorter than you! I can't really wear anything with a waist tbh without looking pregnant/fat...

www.lkbennett.com/Collections/Clothing/Harrie-Natural-Dress/p/CDHARRIEPOLYESTERMIXNaturalPutty

www.lkbennett.com/Collections/Clothing/Dresses/Ditas-Black-Silk-Viscose-Dress/p/CDDITASSILKVISCOSEBlackBlack

www.lkbennett.com/Collections/Clothing/Dresses/Wren-Blue-Cotton-Mix-Dress/p/CDWRENCOTTONMIXBlueSloane%20Blue

Westfacing Sat 25-Mar-17 18:26:10

5'5" is not short - try being a 5'2" apple!

The Ire Blue dress is lovely but note it says the model is 5'10" so it would likely be past your knees, plus I find that dippy hems that go up at the front emphasize my apple abdomen. How about this

Marella

RandomMess Sat 25-Mar-17 18:29:21

Westfacing envy how I'd love to be 5'2" wink

ThisNight Sat 25-Mar-17 19:28:54

I do like the marella dress, but like the lk it's a lot of polyester, which is not always conducive with peri menopause grin

NewPantsforaNewYear Sat 25-Mar-17 23:31:38

Mint Velvet are good for apples. How about this one?

PerspicaciaTick Sun 26-Mar-17 00:10:12

Drapey

Silk

ThisNight Sun 26-Mar-17 09:10:39

The mint velvet dress is lovely, but I think it might swamp me.

acornsandnuts Sun 26-Mar-17 09:16:47

I love perspicacia drapey one.

ThisNight Sun 26-Mar-17 09:32:20

The drape one is lovely, but I tried on something like that from Zara and it just didn't work for me. Too floaty/drapey just ends up looking tenty.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 26-Mar-17 09:45:37

I'm an apple too and of all the dresses suggested on this thread I think the Mint Velvet would be worth a look.
Sadly not only am I an apple shape but I have Sumo wrestler arms with creepy wrinkly bingo wings. smile

RandomMess Sun 26-Mar-17 10:29:52

All of those. Dresses would make me look pregnant!!!

I look best in straight shift dresses or slight A line, go as short as your legs allow.

Things with a waist don't work as that is my biggest size.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 26-Mar-17 10:33:55

Have you looked at Hobbs.

Bit annoying as unless I am being thick you have to go to the sale, outlet and normal sections separately to look at dresses in each.

I have bought some new work clothes recently and had sort of forgotten about Hobbs after not shopping there as I was working at home but I like the stuff I have bought and the quality is as good as it used to be.

Cherrypie32 Sun 26-Mar-17 11:37:39

I'm a 5,4 apple and have a couple of go to dresses from Whistles. The current Lola, Paige and Eloise styles would work for me. They are quite plain so good statement necklace would be good too.

ThisNight Sun 26-Mar-17 12:41:44

I like this and this but they are both polyester. I'd be a sweaty mess by the end of the day grin

BarchesterFlowers Sun 26-Mar-17 13:34:33

If you look at JL online you can select by fit and flare. Would you entertain short sleeves or sleeveless? Then you can add a bolero and take it off if you get hot.

I have done just that this week, bought this Hobbs linen Twitchill dress in a navy flower and a navy bolero cardigan - for a posh work garden party at the end of May.

I don't really dress up these days and wanted something I could easily wear again.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 26-Mar-17 14:09:45

Is this too plain?

100% silk.

ThisNight Sun 26-Mar-17 14:14:16

That's lovely Barchester although I think the waistline would hit my widest part.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 26-Mar-17 15:26:41

That is a shame This, I might buy it for myself grin.

I returned this last week. It was quite nice, heavy polyester crepe but didn't feel sweaty, satin backed. It fastened with buttons at the waist - crossover.

NewPantsforaNewYear Sun 26-Mar-17 17:10:17

Flippy hem

ThisNight Sun 26-Mar-17 18:17:43

Newpants I love that! But polyester!

Waxlyrically Sun 26-Mar-17 18:19:45

I'm a stout 5 ft 3 apple and find short swing shapes are usually best on me. Slight hijack but I love that black silk jaegar dress barchester - how is jaegar for sizing? V tempted to try it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now