Talk

Advanced search

Help - need a top for over jeans for 11 yo DD - family FHC event

(11 Posts)
BiddyPop Fri 24-Mar-17 13:16:30

HI Style and Beauty gurus!

I have a tomboy of a girl - wears nothing but tracksuits in general, we've finally persuaded her to include a pair of sports leggings in the mix (but not ordinary leggings!), and tshirts. Shorts as soon as there;s sunshine (like last week!) and they only come off at Halloween.

She will accept a dress for big events, like weddings. She has a lovely blue and white striped dress (Polarn O Pyret (sp?) from last season - slightly nautical style) that she chose for a wedding last summer that might do - she reckons it "won't fit" and she's wearing jeans.

She will wear one of 2 pairs of jeans occasionally for less "good" events. Plain, no rips, no sparkles, straight or skinny leg style, one is light blue the other dark blue.

We have a first holy communion coming up for DNephew, which we have to go to. I think the current jeans are ok (I suspect the dress would fit fine but is not acceptable to her for this purpose).

But I need to get a nice top to go with them. NO sparkles. NO pink. NO girlie patterns/symbols (you know - the cute puppies or horses or stars that seem to be on everything!). Her everyday tops come as much from boys sections as girls (if not more!), and tend to feature more primary colours, adventure or geometric or graphic (e.g. a skateboarding monkey) patterns, or dead plain etc as anywhere else. I can cut off labels, and wash things to make them soft to deal with sensory stuff. I don't want to stifle her, but there will be an expectation of "nicely dressed" and lots of photos. And yet I want her to be comfortable in them, and happy to wear them.

Has anyone any ideas for looking online or in named stores (we're in Dublin so have a fair amount of options of high street - but I find it hard to find styles she'd like) that I can have a look at? Or even where to look for style-ideas for a pre-teen to look cool but not too girlie?

Thanks!

keely79 Fri 24-Mar-17 13:27:46

Have you tried GAP?

Would something like this be too girlie? www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=89650&vid=1&pid=000627269000

Or this (too casual?)

www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=89650&vid=1&pid=000592994000

Or how about something like this from Monsoon (too frilly?)

eu.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/eu_catalog/mon_3,mon_3.3/2154662643

BiddyPop Fri 24-Mar-17 13:45:20

The denim shirt looks good to me. I like the other Gap too but it might be too girlie for DD- worth showing her though.

I think the Monsoon one is too frilly alright, but I will have a look at their current season- I'd completely forgotten about both companies.

BiddyPop Fri 24-Mar-17 13:47:00

Gap had gone a bit too twee recently but those are better.

We've given up on Next altogether at this stage too.

NewPantsforaNewYear Fri 24-Mar-17 14:01:13

How about this one from Vertbaudet - often good for not-too-girly stuff.

NewPantsforaNewYear Fri 24-Mar-17 14:02:50

Or anything from Zara - again often good for no pink, sparkle or frills?

NewPantsforaNewYear Fri 24-Mar-17 14:07:43

Or New Look I realise I must spend a fair bit of time looking for non-girly stuff

MissisBoote Fri 24-Mar-17 14:18:25

Not a top but what about this jumpsuit?

green

PollyHampton Fri 24-Mar-17 14:20:59

What about a smart shirt from a boys department?

PollyHampton Fri 24-Mar-17 14:21:53

MissisBoote jumpsuit is a brilliant idea!

BiddyPop Fri 24-Mar-17 17:21:57

Thanks everyone! There's some great ideas there to have a look at (sorry, I'd gone deep into something at my desk this afternoon so only popping back in now, and probably won't get time online over the weekend to say thanks!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now