Talk

Advanced search

How do you get a slight wave to your hair?

(41 Posts)
Mollymolly76 Fri 24-Mar-17 07:38:17

I have long fine dark hair which is a frizzy mess no matter what products I try, so I have to straighten it to get the frizz out.
However I really hate the straight pointed end look on me.

How can I achieve I slight wave / texture in my hair? I'm useless at curling with straighteners so that's out but I'd like a little movement if possible??

Pic to show pointy ends which is what I get.

silkpyjamasallday Fri 24-Mar-17 08:22:19

Wash your hair in the evening then plait it when still slightly damp (just towel dry don't use a hair dryer) and sleep with the plaits in overnight. I have naturally very curly hair but my friend who had poker straight hair did this and it worked. Hope that helps! X

Mollymolly76 Fri 24-Mar-17 08:47:56

I've tried that but it makes my hair looks scraggly and horrible - think it works better on thicker hair sad

rightknockered Fri 24-Mar-17 08:50:30

What happens to your hair if you leave it dry naturally?
It may be frizzy because it has a certain amount of movement that you are then trying to straighten out.

rightknockered Fri 24-Mar-17 08:51:05

The straighteners may have damaged your hair

Mollymolly76 Fri 24-Mar-17 08:53:34

I always use protection spray and only wash / straighten twice a week to prevent too much damage.
If I let it dry naturally it has a wave to it but terrible terrible frizz

Mollymolly76 Fri 24-Mar-17 09:04:38

Frizz!!

mowglik Fri 24-Mar-17 10:12:51

After you've finished using your straighteners run them through the ends to create the wave. Check out YouTube videos on how to do it with straighteners, it takes a few seconds to do each wave.

mowglik Fri 24-Mar-17 10:14:11

Or use frizz-ease or a curl product to sort the frizz and enhance your natural waves, which to be fair would be a lot better for your hair than the straighteners every day

Bloggybollocks Fri 24-Mar-17 10:17:08

Use straighteners but start halfway down the hair and don't pull it all through, remove the straighteners when there's a couple of inches of hair yet to go through. There are plenty of you tube tutorials too.

StainlessSteelButtercup Fri 24-Mar-17 10:24:40

I agree that you should use your straighteners to give your hair a bit of a wave. I've been doing that for a while to control my "hair frizz," and it works a treat.

knitknack Fri 24-Mar-17 10:35:39

My hair looks like that dried naturally, but if I let it dry to that point and then shove in in velcro rollers (held in with clips) it magically transforms into Kate Middleton's hair! Even if they're only in for 15 or 20 mins! It's a great solution because I can sort my hair out without using any heat at all (best) or I can blow dry it any old which way and THEN bung the rollers in if I need to get ready more quickly.

ChipmunkSundays Fri 24-Mar-17 10:36:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

leccybill Fri 24-Mar-17 10:42:12

I've tried straighteners with some success. What other ways are there put there? I want waves like this.

JustAnotherYellowBelly Fri 24-Mar-17 10:44:29

I did my mum's hair like this for her wedding, same sort of length

Use normal sized straighteners to make ringlets but pull them slightly while still warm

MissisBoote Fri 24-Mar-17 10:47:34

You need a wide barrelled curling wand to get waves like that.

MissisBoote Fri 24-Mar-17 10:55:12

Something like the cloud nine's in this link

www.marieclaire.co.uk/beauty/hair/curling-wands-68319

burnishedsilver Fri 24-Mar-17 11:50:14

Babyliss big hair.

EatsLeavesAndShit Fri 24-Mar-17 11:54:43

Have you tried washing your hair, brushing the conditioner through in the shower, rinsing the conditioner out then leaving your hair to dry naturally without brushing?

You could have naturally wavy hair and brushing after a shower is making it frizz. I was 27 before I realised my hair is naturally wavy/ curly. Before that I always thought I had straight hair with unexplainable frizz.

Havingahorridtime Fri 24-Mar-17 11:56:33

You need a babyliss big hair. Even my very frizzy and curly hair can be tamed with a babyliss big hair.

BoboChic Fri 24-Mar-17 12:04:29

If you have got pointy ends, that is because your hairdresser is cutting your hair that way.

FinallyHere Fri 24-Mar-17 13:20:35

Wash and leave to dry naturally

as promised when told to eat up all my carrots as a child [smug]

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 24-Mar-17 18:52:15

BBH doesn't give you waves - although it does stop the poker-straight, pointy hair.

I have hair like yours, OP.

I use a BBH. My hair looks lovely when I've finished, but the minute it comes into contact with ANY moisture - even the most minute amount, it re-frizzes. No matter what range of products I use. Rain, humidity, absolutely any moisture at all, and its frizz city.

I'm beginning to think there's nothing I can do about it.

Bananajam Fri 24-Mar-17 18:53:50

I can't plait mine either because it goes frizzy but if i tie it back and loop it around itself when it's damp it gives me a curl at the ends instead. I sleep with it like this. Maybe worth a try?

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 24-Mar-17 18:54:25

Wash and leave to dry naturally

I would look like Monica in Barbados, if I did this.

Leaving it to dry naturally and saving myself the tediousness of styling it is the utter dream. It is so not the solution, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now