Talk

Advanced search

Plus size quality business clothes

(37 Posts)
GhostlyAbode Fri 24-Mar-17 07:18:56

So big promotion and gotta look the part so need some smart city type suits / outfits. But I am a size 22/24, 5ft 9.

Where can I go? not the usual Evans / simply be / yours type places). I need the plus size equivalent of Hobbs / jigsaw / Reiss / etc etc.

I am happy to not be suited but do need to be boardroom smart.

Thanks

MayhemandMadness01 Fri 24-Mar-17 07:27:30

I am in the same position as you so watching with interest.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Fri 24-Mar-17 07:28:34

What's your budget? You might want to go for a dressmaker. Or even go on a dressmaking course so you could run up Mad Men frocks yourself (should be possible to get some decent smart cardigans to go over them or she'll put for just a couple of tailor made jackets).

mrssmith79 Fri 24-Mar-17 07:34:45

Anna Scholz? Or for plain basics (trousers, skirts, plain cardigans etc) I tend to find that you can't beat asda wink no-one needs to know.

tigerdriverII Fri 24-Mar-17 07:34:57

I'm about a 20, but shorter than you. I have a few dresses from Cos, their shifts tend to have a flattering cut, they're normally a single colour ( and interesting colours) and they usually have pockets. Not pricey for what they are.

Today I'm meeting a client in the City and going on to an internal meeting: I'm wearing orange brogues, black treggings, an oversized grey top and orange scarf. The brogues are the most spenny bit of the outfit ( the rest is the sort of stuff you can buy in those garden centres that have a clothes section). I feel appropriately dressed especially for a Friday.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Fri 24-Mar-17 07:35:16

...she'll put = shell out bloody autocorrect

thinkfast Fri 24-Mar-17 07:38:50

Navabi and studio 8 can be good

fatasapancake Fri 24-Mar-17 07:39:44

Studio 8, the plus size arm of phase 8 have some good quality smart business dresses. They are a bit spendy but often good value in the sale. Nice suits and especially good quality flattering trousers are still eluding me.

helzapoppin2 Fri 24-Mar-17 07:54:57

Not necessarily suits, but separates. Samoon (part of Gerry Weber) is good.

Molecule Fri 24-Mar-17 07:56:36

What about
www.navabi.co.uk/product/pleated-shift-dress-35568/?colorcode=2400 this dress looks OK.

some could be ok

Or these

Have to admit there's very little out there. You need a trip to the USA. 24 years ago I had the same issue with maternity wear - leggings and a big jumper were definitely not appropriate for my job.

helzapoppin2 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:36:25

A few more! The John Lewis website pulls together quite a few brands. Otherwise there's Marina Rinaldi, Elena Miro, Peter Hahn, and Sahara.
Sainsburys Tu has a Premium range with some good quality basics which could be mixed in for variety.
Navabi is very good.
Congratulations on the promotion!

Lotsawobblybits Fri 24-Mar-17 17:40:40

Mango have Violeta which are their plus sized range.

GhostlyAbode Fri 24-Mar-17 19:29:39

Thank you all. I will have a good browse over the weekend. Definatley needs to be boring city corporate.

Am wondering if I could get a trip to New York as part of my leadership programme itinerary!!!!!

Budget could do a few £££ staples that I change around with less ££ items. Want to have 8 total outfits. Then will increase this at bonus time and from eBay when I know more about brands and sizing.

Used to work in the charity sector and leggings, tunic style dress / top, and snazzy boots was all I ever needed!

W8woman Fri 24-Mar-17 20:24:47

I was your size, and I'm short. 5 foot 2. Resembled a barrel. Marina Rinaldi, Issey Miyake, Cos, very bold long necklaces to draw the eye vertically. As you're tall, you can wear the German brands.

I modelled my style on Zaha Hadid. You can't do tailoring but you can definitely do presence!

W8woman Fri 24-Mar-17 20:31:55

You do need to dress better when bigger as the snobbery around size can be ugly. I started spending obscene amounts of money on blowdries and manicures, shoes and bags to lift my spirits and confidence until I was psychologically in a place to lose the weight.

LaundryFairy Fri 24-Mar-17 20:33:43

Are you in London or can travel there? Base is very good but they don't do online sales:

www.base-fashions.co.uk/spring-summer-collections-2017/

Tartle Fri 24-Mar-17 20:35:32

I used to do well in monsoon. X

Chewbecca Fri 24-Mar-17 20:46:50

Came to suggest Marina Rinaldi also.

Jacques Vert & Betty Barclay might work too.

Suggest John Lewis website, filter on work wear dresses & your size. Order loads and loads via click and collect and take back all that don't work.

Congrats on the promotion!

SmilingButClueless Fri 24-Mar-17 21:08:14

I usually shop at Monsoon but I don't need to be super-corporate most of the time.

I've bought a few more conventional business dresses from House of Fraser online, can't remember which brands though. I find a dress / jacket combo looks better on me than a conventional suit.

PhilODox Fri 24-Mar-17 21:13:19

My very well-dressed boss wore elvi, marina Rinaldi, some M&S. She was fabulously put together always, statement Jewellery, excellent handbag (not stupidly expensive, designer, just v good quality leather).
Congratulations! flowers

purpleshortcake Fri 24-Mar-17 21:25:02

Not sure about workwear but I've found the Zalando App very good. You put in style - work dresses etc and can sort by size and colour. It is posted from Europe but mine usually arrives within 3-5 days. Lots of brands ..from Ralph Lauren through to Vero Moda. Stuff in all sizes to suit every budget. My weakness is the Peter Kaiser shoes. Arrived beautifully packaged and felt like a real treat!

tigerdriverII Fri 24-Mar-17 22:07:01

Update: I had compliments all day about my orange brogues. If you're fat, you have to deflect attention from the wobbly bits to great, quirky accessories: not Christmas Tree, just one or two great (and reusable) pieces.

polyhymnia Fri 24-Mar-17 23:06:28

Congratulations. I'm the same height and a similar size to you. The height is a definite asset! All through my managerial office working life I wore more or less top to toe Marina Rinaldi. And often wished Hobbs etc went up to my size. MR is great quality but £££. Also had a few Elena Miro pieces.

I have been to Base but their clothes were mostly too unstructured, both for the setting of my office and my personal taste. I like a bit of structure and the floaty 'Lagenlook' stuff makes me look like a ship in full sail.

Have also tried a few things from Anna Scholz but haven't ever found anything I liked sadly. Don't personally think it's very office friendly either.

German stuff certainly worth a look, though used to be a bit staid ( think Angela Merkel) when not Lagenlook. Prefer Italian style every time.

I do recommend trying Boden as they go up to 22 and quite often a generous 22. They have plenty of work appropriate dresses and trousers. And I do like shopping from a retailer which isn't specifically 'plus'.

Also recommend you reading a thread called ' if you are old and fat'. I'm sure you're not old, but there is some useful discussion there of the more upmarket plus labels.

Absolutely agree on getting great shoes and bag. Also a great bra - I recommend Prima Donna Deauville - and a great hair cut and colour ( if you want colour).

RedMetamorphosis Sat 25-Mar-17 20:12:35

Something like this:
Cigarette trousers or stripy trousers
with white shirt/blouse/top and a blazer - Next have some great smart ones.

this would be gorgeous with a black suit blazer, I'm a bit gutted that I can't find it in my size.

I really like these dresses - shift and midi - quite a few other plain tailored dresses here, here and here

I bought this blazer in the blush pink and it's gorgeous - instantly smartens up dresses or top/skirt combo.

calilark Sun 26-Mar-17 18:44:43

tigerdriverII where are your orange brogues from? Details on the jeggings would be helpful to know as well please grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now