Talk

Advanced search

Hair and swimming

(25 Posts)
OrlandaFuriosa Wed 22-Mar-17 23:26:04

Ok, I know the answer will be wear a hat but I hate swim hats.

Problem:

My hair is dyed.
I swim
I can't find any anti chlorine shampoo
My hair is getting incredibly tangled.

Solution, o style and beauty mavens?

andpeggy29 Wed 22-Mar-17 23:55:45

Conditioner n a detangling comb?

Blueemeraldagain Wed 22-Mar-17 23:58:02

Have you tried different types of swimming hats? I hate the plastic ones so I use a fabric one. It's much more comfortable.

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 23-Mar-17 00:09:58

Ooh, a fabric one? Does it keep the water out? I immerse my head..

Good idea re comb. Will try children's anti chlorine shampoo and possibly conditioner, though my hair always seems to become incredibly greasy with it and my scalp objects.

Any views on the Kerastase products for damaged hair? Or Aussie?

jeaux90 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:43:16

Swimmer too. I use a hat. My hair is dyed. Those shampoos for using after swimming are minging: Avalon lemon clarifying shampoo and then the coconut water masque (but use it as a conditioner)

Destinysdaughter Thu 23-Mar-17 19:44:53

I put coconut oil on beforehand which I think helps

WelshMoth Thu 23-Mar-17 19:46:23

I second putting an oil on before hand then a
Good shampoo and conditioner afterwards.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 23-Mar-17 19:49:01

You can get pre-swim stuff for your hair I think. Philip Kingsley? I don't know if its enormously different from coconut all, but anyway.... I find putting my hair up helps a bit.

Cumberlover76 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:57:45

I've just started swimming again and have ordered some of this Child's Farm Swim that i can use on my hair and body. I've not tried it yet but dd's other Child's Farm shampoo smells lovely.

BestIsWest Thu 23-Mar-17 20:44:57

Boots swim and gym - you put it on before you go swimming and it protects your hair

BestIsWest Thu 23-Mar-17 20:46:06

I go 2 or 3 times a wee and no hat and have dyed hair. The Boots stuff is v.good.

BestIsWest Thu 23-Mar-17 20:46:28

Week not wee

awaynboilyurheid Thu 23-Mar-17 21:13:17

Try a non silicone hat speedo do them they are nice and soft. Use coconut oil before hand and after swim a gentle shampoo with loads of conditioner Also always wet hair in shower before you go in apparently it stops hair absorbing chlorine.

bruffin Thu 23-Mar-17 21:19:53

i use aussie miracle serum or stay in conditioner before i swim, aussie miracle shampoo after with the stay in conditioner. Sometimes with a cloth cap. I hate swim caps so only use the cloth one to keep mp3 earphones in when im swimming

MrsHouseBrownie Thu 23-Mar-17 21:26:30

DD is a club swimmer (5 x a week swimming) and has thick shiny hair.
Wear a good silicone hat (jaked or speedo long hair are good), cloth hats won't offer any protection, use Tresemme Deep Cleansing shampoo and loads of Pantene Smooth and Sleek conditioner. Found this to be the best solution after a lot of trial and error.

skinnyamericano Thu 23-Mar-17 21:41:24

I've just started swimming - what is it going to do to my hair colour? shock

bruffin Thu 23-Mar-17 21:59:04

I have dark brown hair and a very grey fringe and dyed it about a month ago and the colour is still good . That was with a vidal sassoon mid brown

OrlandaFuriosa Fri 24-Mar-17 00:38:40

Lots if excellent advice, thanks so much. Off to chemist..

TeenyfTroon Fri 24-Mar-17 16:24:07

My hairdresser suggested putting leave-in conditioner or oil on before swimming, but I do worry about my hair contaminating the pool water. I know water management will sort it out and they probably have worse, er, substances, to deal with. What does everyone else think?

Flicketyflack Fri 24-Mar-17 16:31:55

Ultra swim from Amazon is excellent! Also wet hair before getting in pool & wear a silicone hat.

Sorry but I don't rate philip kingsleys hair stuff and it is expensive.

Good luck x

Sciurus83 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:01:28

Philip Kingsley swim cap is really good. Some of the other products I thought were overpriced for what they are but used that on holiday in strong sun and in and out of sea and it kept my bleached hair in great condition. Can't comment for a pool but definitely worth getting hold of a small one and giving a go

CMOTDibbler Fri 24-Mar-17 17:26:11

Try a silicone swim hat. They don't catch your hair like the latex ones.
I swim a few times a week, and use Boots swim and gym, and my hair is in great condition

Unicorn81 Fri 24-Mar-17 20:47:36

Have you tried boots shampoo - www.boots.com/boots-sun-swim-and-gym-shampoo-3-in-1-250ml-10140061

Id also use a really good conditioner like redken. And perhaps use a wet brush www.lookfantastic.com/wet-brush-classic/11138508.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&gclid=CjwKEAjwh9PGBRCfso2n3ODgvUcSJAAhpW5oOgw56EcjbMtCyKB6jDzlTA1SP-5Gef3BpjE9HG26nBoC60Tw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJv7oMuB8NICFVSJ7QodcUkLzQ&variation=11033078

OrlandaFuriosa Fri 24-Mar-17 23:48:44

Reporting back on day 1

Dashed into Boots and couldn't see their swim/ gym so bought tresemme and Pantene and a tangle comb and one if their little £1 brushes.

Thought hard about polluting the water but put a tiny touch of Moroccan oil before went in, tresemme and Pantene afterwards, with a dash of Moroccan oil when towel dried. Couldn't find comb so used brush. Much easier. Hair feels soft. So that's good. But as limp as a dishcloth, and about as attractive, not so good. Will experiment tomorrow with either no Pantene or no Moroccan oil.

Will think about swim hat recommendations but how I loathe them,,

Will also get swim and gym to have a controlled experiment..

OrlandaFuriosa Fri 24-Mar-17 23:56:17

Oh, and got the Aussie stuff too. I reckon four days of each..will report back if anyone interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now