We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pedicure my ugly toenail

(34 Posts)
MrsBosh Wed 22-Mar-17 09:32:54

I'd like to book in for a pedicure at my local salon to use a voucher. However I have a very ugly big toenail on one foot. I don't think it's fungal as it doesn't smell or hurt. I think it's trauma to the nail (dropped stuff on it, had it stood on etc.)
Will they run screaming when I take my socks off?
Should I have a different treatment?
See pic (the red dots aren't blood but old nail varnish I can't shift!) I always use a basecoat for varnish too!
Thanks all smile

Aquamarine70 Wed 22-Mar-17 14:48:07

You coujd try buffing with one of those 3 in one buffers to smooth the surface. Even with using a base cost the formaldehyde or Toluene causes the nail to dry & flake & look like white patches. Nail polish on toes tends to stay on longer on toes so can cause some discolouration & peeling. You can get polishes that don't have these chemicals in but they are usually a professional range.

FrizzBombDelight Wed 22-Mar-17 14:49:36

That looks like damage due to gel, did you have a colour on that you picked off?

VioletHornswaggle Wed 22-Mar-17 14:55:21

DH had a persistent fungal nail infection and it didn't smell or hurt either. A clipping can be taken at the docs and sent off to see if it is fungal and you can then treat. Or you can try an over the counter solution.

Deux Wed 22-Mar-17 14:57:26

I had a nail like that and it turned out to be a fungal infection albeit a mild one.

I only realised when I glanced at a product in the chemist's for fungal nail infection and the photo on the front of the box was just like my nail.

Anyway I got rid of it fairly quickly myself. Here's what I did. Keep nail trimmed fairly short. File flakey ridgy bits. Use athletes foot powder after showering rub in to nails. Rub Vicks vaporub (read that somewhere) on to nail and kind of pushing it down the sides of the nail then put on socks at bed time.

MrsBosh Wed 22-Mar-17 18:56:12

Damn, I so didn't want it to be fungal! Thanks for all your wisdom smile. I think I have some Vicks at the back of a cupboard and might pop to show it off to a pharmacist tomorrow. Worth a shot at something OTC.
No gels unfortunately, Frizz.
That's interesting about the chemicals in some polishes, Aqua, thank you. I'll certainly keep that in mind for my next purchases.

DalaHorse Thu 23-Mar-17 23:07:13

Without being a medical expert, it looks like it could well be fungal. They don't usually hurt or smell but they do look very much like that. They are transferable so you shouldn't share shoes or slippers. Often occur from wearing the same sweaty boots or shoes over and again. If you do wear one pair a lot, I'd consider replacing those if you are diagnosed with a fungal infection.

DalaHorse Thu 23-Mar-17 23:08:09

its also a doctor you need to see, not a pharmacist.

FloatyCat Thu 23-Mar-17 23:16:47

Looks like mild fungal to me. I had a bad one last year was a bugger to shift

FloatyCat Thu 23-Mar-17 23:19:22

If it is, Throw out any nail polish you used on that toe, or it could infect your other toe nails too sad.

DalaHorse Thu 23-Mar-17 23:43:45

Also, if you shoes are too small and/or you keep your toenails too long so they are under pressure from the shoe, that can help create the right conditions for a fungal infection.

Bypass the chemist and go to the doctors, fungals are really hard to shift so you'll be saving time in the long run.

Dontsayyouloveme Fri 24-Mar-17 08:24:49

I get this, white and peels. Checked with GP who said she also gets it and it's from the nail varnish remover - the alcohol in it! So I bought a remover without alcohol but I still get it! So I agree it's the varnishes you put in your nails!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:00:44

I'm a podiatrist & it looks like trauma that's growing out.

DalaHorse Fri 24-Mar-17 15:57:47

Fluffy - how can you tell it's a trauma and not a fungal nail infection? What's the difference in how it looks?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:20:25

The horizontal striae look like repetitive trauma & the line of demarcation is uniform. The white patches could be dryness/pitting from acetone (eg removing polish more than weekly)or from trauma causing the nail to seperate away from the bed. But now it's growing clear so it's likely to be a one off knock with minor damage from the nail hitting restrictive winter footwear as you walk.

Fungal is usually yellow/orange/brown & as the fungus progresses the nail thickens. The patches of discolouration are uneven in their progress towards the nail root.

I've had white patches from frequent polish changes & they grow out on their own.

Fun fact: formaldehyde is a gas not a liquid. Formalin contains it but hasn't been used in lots of nail preparations for years. So when retailers say "free of formaldehyde!" It's like sainsburys advertising a bag of carrots as being vegan.

MrsBosh Fri 24-Mar-17 17:08:17

Thanks, Fluffy for your informative post and everyone else's help/advice! MNetters are a wise lot!
I do wear the same shoes for work everyday, so they will be binned this weekend (only cheap New Look pair). Am going to try OTC for fungal and give that a week or so, but then make GP appt if it doesn't help. Have booked myself a massage at the salon until my nail is more pedicure-ready smile.

highinthesky Fri 24-Mar-17 17:13:33

It looks fungal to me. Invest in a terbinafine spray and use it once a week, and make sure the nail fold is treated so the new nail grows clean.

Realistically you are also going to have to wait for the toe nail to grow out, which I estimate will take a minimum of 6 months.

Deux Fri 24-Mar-17 17:21:40

Do google 'how to treat fungal nail infection with Vicks vaporub'. There's lots of info there. Might be worth a go? From what fluffycloud said maybe my issue wasn't fungal but whatever it was the athletes foot powder + vaporub has worked.

In fact I think it was a thread on mumsnet that promoted me to treat mine that way.

MrsBosh Fri 24-Mar-17 17:50:48

[Furiously scribbles notes... terbinafine, vicks, remover without alcohol etc.]

DalaHorse Fri 24-Mar-17 18:01:52

Ah, interesting! I can see the white line and the new nail growing out, but the new nail looks infected and it's inflamed around the cuticle area. Is it possible to have both trauma and fungal infection together?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:06:57

One follows the other.

DalaHorse Fri 24-Mar-17 18:59:47

So is it both or just trauma in this case would you say? To me it looks exactly like a fungal infection and I've seen a few.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 24-Mar-17 19:41:43

I'm going for trauma, that's my first thought & first thoughts are usually right.

mmack Fri 24-Mar-17 21:37:40

I'm using a 50:50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and mouthwash with a few drops of tea tree oil in it to treat a horrible fungal nail infection and it's really working. I got the infection after I damaged the nail. I had tried several OTC remedies first with no success. The mixture turned the infected bits of the nail from yellow/orange to white but didn't do anything to the undamaged part of the nail.

ilovecherries Fri 24-Mar-17 23:50:32

I'm desperately now noting all the alternative remedies for fungal nail. I've had two 6 month courses of curanail which I used religiously, plus I've had the nail removed twice, once by the podiatrist and once using urea paste. And still it grows back infected. Nail is once again too thick to cut - fortunately despite having it for years it's only ever the one nail. GP did offer me an oral treatment, but quite frankly I'm hesitant about taking a drug for a nail infection that requires me to have liver function tests done. So now I'm eyeing up the Vicks and the apple cider vinegar. Is there a specific mouthwash I should use? I just loathe it, looks disgusting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now