Talk

Advanced search

Needing help with my style after baby!

(7 Posts)
happymummy2016 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:52:44

Hi

Hoping to get some advice on what to do and where to start! Recently I've really noticed that I'm dressed like a total scruff and it's getting me down 😢 I've never really been 'into' clothes, have always been overweight and just grab things when I REALLY need something like trousers for work. I had my baby 13 months ago and haven't lost the baby weight 😩 Have got a horrible belly that hangs and looks awful. He was worth it though!

I've hardly bought any clothes since my baby was born because I hate being the size I am (16 now but am short so it really shows on me) Currently I have 1 pair of jeans that are all faded and horrible, 1 pair of work trousers that are falling to bits, a pair of joggers for around house and that's it. Couple of tops and a few cardigans. I do have more clothes than that (not much!) but they don't fit. I lost loads of weight about 7 years ago, bought loads of clothes but put it all back on again 😔 I look at other people and friends with their lovely clothes and make up and just feel like they must be thinking how terrible I look. I just don't know how to get out the rut of eating rubbish and feeling crap about myself. My baby is my world but think I have neglected myself a bit too much and just don't know where to start. I have a wonderful DH that is very supportive but I can't help but feel he could do better.

I shower and wear deodorant and moisturiser, that's about the extent of my beauty routine. I don't paint my nails, do make up, eyebrows or anything 🙁

Please help, would appreciate any advice from anyone on where I could start and how I could get on track to looking a bit better and feeling better too.

Thanks for reading xx

saz9382 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:06:58

Hiya I'm no style guru but I've got three kids, my youngest is 20 months so I can sympathise with the frazzled mum look.

If I were you I would tackle it in stages and not fill your wardrobe with heaps of clothes if your weight is still fluctuating. I know personal shoppers are raved about here but having been a size 16 and having had an awful experience in debenhams I've never tried again. I'd get fitted for a new bra and maybe look to get some jeggings probs black and a dark blue. Some longer length tops maybe hip length (ASDA do a really nice fine knit jumper in various colours think its £7 or £8). Its a good length and can be accessorised with a nice scarf or necklace. Warehouse have some nice tops in just now and following on from the silk shirt thread I'd look for a blouse in a colour you like I'd also look for a nice pair of flat neutral ankle boots and a jersey blazer

I'd probably head straight to a trusted hairdresser for a colour and cut update. Probs wouldn't go too drastic a change but just a polished update. Get your eyebrows reshaped as well as that can freshen your whole face.

Not sure if your a makeup wearer but if your looking to sit down at a counter I'd recommend Bobbi Brown. Their staff are great I went to Mac and Urban decay last weekend and they were all wearing green and navy lipstick, Bobbi Brown is probably the least trend led.

Hth xxx

Bibs2014 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:12:42

I just wanted to add to all the great advice up above that we all feel like that after having babies - well I did anyway! So completely understand how you feel.

Good tip I got from here was buy clothes for the life you have not the one you want / had. For me that was less dresses and more jeans and tops. I always feel smarter in a shirt with jeans rather than just a Primark top. Try Gap for shirts.

I mostly hang out with my toddler in Dorothy Perkins jeggings, Primark vest (for warmth!) and a shirt. Jeggings tucked into nice ankle boots.

If you're more into trainers why not invest in some new trainers to freshen up your look?

Bibs2014 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:14:35

Oh and chuck the shapeless cardigans and invest in some blazers.

Try eBay, I buy most of my stuff from there, I only buy brand new, and it's cheap enough to sell on if it doesn't fit well / look right.

fourteenlittleducks Wed 22-Mar-17 12:53:48

Embrace the frazzled look! Get a good haircut that dries naturally.

Loose-fitting tunics and jeggings with matching trainers (Geox are nice) and a couple of longline cardigans in coordinating colours.

Spend a bit of time on your nails and face. Gel nails last for ages. Lipstick and bronzer give a groomed look.

A smartish coat and nice scarf to pull your outfit together.

bakewelltarte Thu 23-Mar-17 07:45:48

My baby is 10 months and I am a size 16 and working on losing weight but I found getting fitted for some new bras has made a big difference to my overall shape and getting a good haircut and colour helped me feel more like myself.
Lastly bb cream, blusher and bright lipstick and some perfume help if you don't have much time xx

happymummy2016 Thu 23-Mar-17 09:30:12

Thank you so much for all the advice. Definitely going to make more effort and do a bit of shopping to tide me over till I get in the frame of mind to lose weight. Think some of the problem is I'm feeling rubbish about myself so am not doing anything to try and feel better so it's a vicious circle!

Really think a hair cut would help, since having my baby, my hair has gone curly!! Thought I was going crazy but turns out that it can happen after pregnancy. Am struggling to manage it as it's quite frizzy now and condition isn't great so it's always tied back. Plus have noticed quite a few grey hairs recently so think it's time to start colouring it!

Really appreciate all the advice, also nice to know others have felt the same smile xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now