Talk

Advanced search

Need a dress for my 25th anniversary ceilidh - swooshy skirt but not very feminine!

(13 Posts)
OldLagNewName Tue 21-Mar-17 20:35:18

DP and I are hosting a ceilidh for friends and family to celebrate 25 years together. He'll wear his kilt but I fancy a new frock. Maybe? I hardly ever wear dresses and don't feel comfortable in anything very feminine. But a nice swooshy skirt to spin around in while stripping the willow would be fun.

The event's in the summer and I always get really hot dancing so it needs to be cotton or mostly cotton. I really like red, but also other bright jewel kind of colours (not royal blue though). Not floral patterns. I'm a classic Winter and have a triangular body shape - no curves to speak of, tall and slim, shoulders are my widest part.

These dresses look great on the models but I think would look rubbish on angular me. And also are too feminine, except maybe the Anna Adorable striped one. I really like Mod style dresses like this but they kind of definitionally don't come with swooshy skirts.

Any suggestions? Either for specific dresses or for styles of dresses? I guess I could buy a swishy skirt and wear it with a black sleeveless vest, which would feel normal for my top half if strange underneath. But a dress feels more special for what is, after all, quite a special occasion.

Veronicat Wed 22-Mar-17 07:30:48

Something like This? I wore similar to a friend's wedding ceilidh.
www.britishretro.co.uk/shop/50s-dresses/50-full-circle-dresses/bonny-betsy-black-watch-tartan-vintage-50s-dress/

Veronicat Wed 22-Mar-17 07:37:09

Or this to be daring?
www.choies.com/product/black-plaid-print-organza-skater-maxi-dress_p45933?currency=gbp&gclid=CM66zNfM6dICFYYcGwodK1YBWQ

Pistachiois50pmore Wed 22-Mar-17 10:08:58

It's not my look personally but friends of mine who go in for swooshy 50s vintage style seem to get on very well with Collectif. Their stuff always looks a bit indie rather than pure dolly-bird so good if you're not really a dresses person I guess!

OldLagNewName Wed 22-Mar-17 10:11:07

Thanks Veronicat!

I don't want tartan because there will be several Scots with proper tartans they are actually entitled to wear there (and I'm not). The see-through black dress is amazing but I think probably too dressy for the occasion. I had no idea 'maxi skater' was a category!

OldLagNewName Wed 22-Mar-17 10:17:11

Thanks Pistachio. An interesting site and I see what you mean about a bit indie. I've a suspicion that all the swooshy skirts depend on an hourglass figure, which I so haven't got. But maybe I should just order some and try.

heavenscent86 Wed 22-Mar-17 13:29:23

Maybe this?

www.lindybop.co.uk/dresses-c1/swing-jive-dresses-c3/josefine-white-black-red-swing-dress-p2127

heavenscent86 Wed 22-Mar-17 13:31:15

Or this?

www.lindybop.co.uk/dresses-c1/swing-jive-dresses-c3/carla-black-red-polka-dot-swing-dress-p2751

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 22-Mar-17 16:19:15

I really like the Anna Adorable dress you linked to originally.
Have you ordered it to try on?

OldLagNewName Sat 25-Mar-17 14:00:12

I should just order some to try on, shouldn't I! I like the Josefine Lindybop one but it looks too much like a skirt and top (I'm so fussy, sorry).

NewPantsforaNewYear Sat 25-Mar-17 14:26:40

Yes, you should. You might be surprised.

Semaphorically Sat 25-Mar-17 14:35:55

Strapless?

Lace?

Semaphorically Sat 25-Mar-17 14:40:03

Print?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now