Talk

Advanced search

Soolantra - will my GP prescribe it?

(19 Posts)
ohgoshIdontknow Tue 21-Mar-17 15:46:51

I have rosacea and have had Soolantra prescribed by an expensive dermatologist for a year or so.

I haven't got time (or the money tbh) to go back to the dermatologist before we go away soon. Can I ask my NHS GP to prescribe it?

Or can the private GP at my office prescribe it?

I don't want to waste a doctor's time if they can't, so would be very grateful if anyone could advise me...

Thank you!

margaritasbythesea Tue 21-Mar-17 19:11:42

GPS can prescribe it but I suppose whether they do or not depends on the go.

BWatchWatcher Tue 21-Mar-17 23:00:39

You can get it from pharmacy sites on the internet smile

ohgoshIdontknow Tue 21-Mar-17 23:31:30

Thanks both. Very good tip re: pharmacy sites, thank you!

Sarahlouiseis33 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:36:57

My doctor would have prescribed it but it's not available for him to prescribe. Rather than book an appointment with a private dermatologist at around £250 I ordered from pharmacy 2 u which was actually recommended by my doctor. With postage the Soolantra cost me around £40 but I use so little it'll last me ages, and it's fantastic - worth every penny!

thebellsofsaintclements Wed 22-Mar-17 08:47:13

My GP prescribed it so I guess it depends where you are in the country? The thing is, it's not working as well as I thought 🙁 Is there a knack to it, or do I just need to give it more time?

Nearlyadoctor Wed 22-Mar-17 10:22:50

GP can prescribe as long it is on their local formulary, if not I'm sure the dermatologist will give you a private prescription which costs about £32 including the soolantra from memory.

ohgoshIdontknow Wed 22-Mar-17 14:11:47

Thank you so much BWatchWather - I have this morning got it from an online pharmacy, which is great. The same place you recommend Sarahlouise. I didn't even know you could do this, thank you so much.

Thanks also to the others for suggestions. The problem is, my dermatologist is SUPER expensive (£300 minimum or £400 just to cross their threshold, before I even pay for the prescription) and I don't want to pay that every three months when my cream runs out.

thebellofsaintclements it works pretty well, not brilliantly, but pretty well I'd say. Although today I had to upload a picture of me to send the online pharmacy to get the prescription and I have to say my face looked VERY red indeed. I would say give it three months to see an effect. Good luck!

Also nearlyadoctor thank you for the info - I am now going to have to google formulary - interesting new word/idea! V helpful, thank you.

Vagndidit Wed 22-Mar-17 14:24:23

Ooohh, can I hijack a bit here? How does the Soolantra compare to metronidazole?

Metrogel used to work pretty well for me when I first was diagnosed but now it barely touches my spots. I've been on an oral antibiotic for 4 weeks with little improvement so far. My nose is a swollen mess, particularly. Wondering if it's worth pushing for a Soolantra Rx from the Gp at my follow-up.

margaritasbythesea Wed 22-Mar-17 17:01:39

There is no comparison in my opinion: metrogel doesn't work for me; Soolantra does. But I have read many threads on rosacea and different things do seem to work for different people. I would certainly say that it is worthwhile a try, though. I haven't had a breakout since I started using it two months ago. Before that it was almost constant.

hanna87 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:05:49

@Nearlyadoctor agree -this is exactly how it works in most parts of the country! (I work in meds management )

CakeThat Wed 22-Mar-17 18:40:47

Can I hijack please - I've been using soolantra for just over a week now ( also ordered from an online pharmacy). So far it hasn't helped much. I think in fact that my face is even redder. It's difficult to cover the redness with make up. Is it worth persevering with the soolantra or did most users see a slight improvement from the start? Thanks

margaritasbythesea Wed 22-Mar-17 19:21:45

Mine improved very quickly.

BWatchWatcher Wed 22-Mar-17 20:35:33

Mine too improve d within a couple of days. Well worth it.

I put it on before bed. Only a tiny amount. I am spot free! Though I still blush when tooo hot/stressed etc. I think that will need laser treatment.

thebellsofsaintclements Wed 22-Mar-17 21:15:03

ohgoshidontknow - thanks, I will persevere!

cakethat - same here, but will give it 3 months to see if it makes a difference!

stephenisjustcoming Thu 23-Mar-17 08:32:08

It worked for me within about a week, and now I just get occasional small spots, rather than the massive achey red headless lumps I used to. Plus my skin feels smoother and softer too. I don't use it every day any more, but if I get a breakout I apply before bed. And I still flush, but I think that's more a side effect of being pale and easily embarrassed...

My GP was happy to prescribe for me once I'd explained what it was and the surgery had checked it out; she agreed that being on long term ABs (the only thing that worked for me, plus finacea gel) wasn't a good thing.

Vagndidit Fri 24-Mar-17 10:40:26

Well, my NHS trust apparently does not prescribe Soolantra, so I may try and hunt some down online...

dramaqueen Fri 24-Mar-17 10:53:35

My GP prescribed it too, but as per previous posts I had to explain what it was, and that it was a good alternative to antibiotics. It took around 3 months to make a difference but the redness has definitely reduced.

ohgoshIdontknow Sun 26-Mar-17 08:12:28

Yesterday my Soolantra arrived from pharmacy2u - 71 quid instead of hundreds on a dermatologist appt!

Thank you so much for saving me so much money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now