We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to wear to a casual funeral?

(7 Posts)
Spudlet Tue 21-Mar-17 08:34:47

Very sadly, a former colleague of mine passed away very unexpectedly recently. I will be going to his funeral, which I've been told is 'casual dress'.

I've never been to a funeral, so this has got me stumped... I know it's not about clothes etc but I want to show respect by looking appropriate. Was thinking of wearing a black, knee length jersey tube type skirt, black tights, probably black ankle boots (flat). I'm a bit stumped for the top half... if it's casual, is a black top too much? Would another sombrely coloured top be appropriate? Assuming I can find one that is, as my wardrobe mostly centres around clothes suitable to crawl around the floor after a toddler in?? I could get a dark blue plain top, perhaps...? I have a navy blue round neck fitted jumper, might that be ok?

Auriga Tue 21-Mar-17 08:45:06

I would take 'casual dress' to mean 'come as you are'. No need to stick to dark colours and wear something suitable for crawling around after a toddler if you feel comfortable in it. Sorry for your loss flowers

GaryGilmoresEyes Tue 21-Mar-17 08:52:35

At a recent funeral I wore a dark green dress with a black cardigan.
A skirt and top would be fine.

Spudlet Tue 21-Mar-17 08:54:24

Thank you. His dw is also a former colleague... we all worked for a charity. Everyone is so shocked and saddened to have lost him. He has left a lot of friends behind him.

I could wear black skinny jeans.... just feels too casual (even though I've been told casual!).

Floisme Tue 21-Mar-17 09:04:40

I'm sorry to hear this. He sounds like a good person.

I think what the family mean is, 'We really don't care what you wear - it will just be nice if you can come'.

My guess is that there will be a mix. Some people will probably still be smartly dressed e.g. because they've come straight from work or are going back to work afterwards. Others may be in jeans. The point is that the family won't care or probably even notice.

If it was me, I'd probably err on the side of caution and a tube skirt or black, smart-ish jeans and top in a dark colour is pretty much what I would choose. I'm sure the last thing his family would want is for you to go out and buy something.

ShotsFired Tue 21-Mar-17 09:16:56

Last funeral I went to I wore black work trousers, black wrap cardi and a deep pink shirt.

Even if it said "casual", I could not bring myself to wear (say) jeans, but I might go for more colours in rich deep shades like the above.

1stTimeMama Tue 21-Mar-17 10:03:39

I wore black leggings and a longer length mustardy tunic top with a larger necklace, and boots to the last funeral I went to.

He had 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' played, so I'd say in was more of a casual affair really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now