Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Post baby style in the heat

(8 Posts)
Canters15 Tue 21-Mar-17 06:20:43

I have completely and utterly lost my way with fashion, and need urgent help.

DC is 4 months. I'm still sort of breastfeeding but probably not for much longer so is not a huge consideration. Am now a curvy size 10-12 at 5ft 7. Huge boobs. Look very matronly with ease. Little bit of a tum and big hips.

Pre DC I wore skinnies with ballet flats or ankle boots and blazers/little jackets. Safe, not going to set the world alight but I felt comfortable and like i looked ok.

We now live in a very hot country. Have always struggled with holiday dressing, but is even worse now. Obviously pre DC uniform does not work.

So far have tried midi skirts, but they balloon over my hips and make me look massive. Have tried a few dresses, but hard to get the balance right between long enough to be practical with baby but short enough to not look like a frump. Mainly wearing shorts and t-shirts, but it just feels so....blah.

Also very hard to wear makeup/do much with hair here. I feel utterly invisible.

I actually weigh less then before I had baby, so this should all be easy, but my body has totally changed. Am exercising to try and tone it all up but really not happy with what I see when I look in the mirror.

Help me! What do I wear?

LadyBundleBrent Tue 21-Mar-17 08:03:56

It's so hard! Pre dc I lived in an incredibly hot and humid country - I agree shorts and t shirts just seemed a bit blah (tho I wore them all the time!).

Couldn't bear trousers in the heat. I think dresses are your friend - I've got two from Boden of all places (have a 6 month old here and felt the same as you, lost my way a bit). I definitely think you have to be v careful re frumpiness but did find a few gems and there is 40% off with an extra 20% off at the mo - there is another thread on this.

Will post links to the dresses - I'm 5'8" and have been ordering in the long.

LadyBundleBrent Tue 21-Mar-17 08:05:28

m.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-dresses/day-dresses/wh981/womens-blackberry-dress

BriocheBriocheBrioche Tue 21-Mar-17 08:08:00

Following! I don't live anywhere super hot but we do have a long hot summer here and I'm always stuck for what to wear.
It needs to be practical, cool and somewhat stylish.

I have found that good shoes/sandals always make me feel more dressy and on trend.

LadyBundleBrent Tue 21-Mar-17 09:08:27

Also COS is good for natural fibre clothes that are a bit more edgy.

I remember totally losing my style in a hot country without the added post baby stress! Good luck and congratulations!

Canters15 Tue 21-Mar-17 09:13:27

Thanks Lady! The dress you linked to is nice, maybe I just need to keep it simple and play with accessories more. Hadn't thought about Cos as was never somewhere I ventured in pre pregnancy, will have a look!

CorrigansDoorKnob Tue 21-Mar-17 09:36:37

I've been meaning to post a thread like this as I really struggle to (try) to look stylish in the summer. I live in a hot country but thanksfully it's not often humid. I resort to wearing shorts and t-shirts too, but my legs aren't my best feature so I never feel good. It's too hot for trousers though.

This year I felt better in my Hush Ruched Skirt, which I got in a past season when they did other colours www.hush-uk.com/m/womenswear/daywear/skirts/modal_ruched_skirt_1_black.htm. I teamed that with a nice t-shirt or silk shirt. I also bought a lovely pair of leather sandals to avoid wearing thongs or Birkenstocks.

I haven't found any dresses and I've been looking for ages. I actually recently sent that Boden Blackberry dress to the op shop as it really didn't suit me. I have big shoulders and am also a 10/12 and 5'8". It didn't define my waist and made me look like a rectangle! I decided it Wasn't even good enough for the beach.

If anyone had seen anything suitable I'd also be eternally grateful for the links! Can't do Cos as they don't deliver here unfortunately.

Canters15 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:43:43

Like that hush skirt, corrigan. $12 to deliver here. Tempting. How's the sizing?

I bought nice stylish person shorts from Zara in an attempt to look better but they still look rubbish. I think part of my problem is I tended towards the smart/preppy and it's just so hard to do that sort of thing with summer wear. I can't even picture how I want to look at the moment.

Will have a browse and post anything good I find!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now