Talk

Advanced search

Help me pick my changing bag

(28 Posts)
naranciata Mon 20-Mar-17 17:33:05

Narrowed it down to 8 but am willing to take suggestions if anyone has a great one. I want something not too huge, not flowery/mumsy/CathKidstony that will basically pass as a nice handbag.

www.pinklining.com/uk/satchel-diamonds-and-hearts

storksak.com/changing-bags/ashley

storksak.com/changing-bags/noa-leather-clay

www.sweatybetty.com/clothing/accessories/all-accessories/khaki-all-sport-backpack/

www.tibaandmarl.com/shop/mabel-tote-navy

www.pacapod.com/firenze-leather-changing-bag-175.html

www.babymel.com/changing-bags/anya-tan

www.laessig-fashion.com/green-label-neckline-spin-dye-diaper-bag-black-melange

greathat Mon 20-Mar-17 17:35:28

Pink lining or tibaandmarl. The last one on your list isn't available anyway :P

MrsGB2225 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:38:06

I found a change bag with a zip top is handy for quickly grabbing dummy/water/snack/tissues/wipes when on the go.
I had a storksak before and loved it, so I would recommend those.
Change bags go through a lot of wear and tear so black is a good colour.

EmbroideredCloths Mon 20-Mar-17 17:41:01

I bought this for a family member who also doesn't like flowery bags. It's arrived and is lovely.

https://www.johnlewis.com/skip-hop-chelsea-chic-satchel-changing-bag-black/p2507355?navAction=jump&_requestid=6879128

onthettcbus Mon 20-Mar-17 17:41:31

I like the pink lining one.

Carmalia Mon 20-Mar-17 18:04:22

I have this babymel one:
www.babymel.com/changing-bags/frankie-tweed
Similar to the one you have but different colour and no inner zip pocket (don't think I'd use this though). It's like a big satchel type handbag i would say.

It's good in many ways - end pockets are good for a water bottle / umbrella / baby bottle, little pockets on the front are good for keeping dummy clips / hand sanitizer / keys in, big pocket on the back is a quick place to dump a toy or my purse. But there aren't many inside pockets so it can be hard to keep organised - I've ended up with a bunch of zip-top wet bags from Amazon though which keep things sorted and were really cheap, so not necessarily a problem. The best thing about the Babymel bags though is the velcro straps which attach it to the pushchair handle really easily (no need got buggy clips) and for my one at least the fact that the strap pulls out really long so I can wear it cross body and be hands free without it falling off my shoulder! So final bit of advice whichever one you go for - if you can try it out then do, preferably loaded up with a bunch of baby clothes and while juggling a squirmy baby and trying to find your car keys.... Hope you find one you like!

MrsGsnow18 Mon 20-Mar-17 18:07:15

I've been trying to find a nice bag recently to do as a changing bag! My debate was whether to just get a bag or a proper changing bag, all the pockets/compartments in changing bags appeals to me.
I like the pacapod and babymel ones from your list. I have a few friends who had pacapod and highly recommend.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 20-Mar-17 18:10:01

I've been through 8 changing bags in the last year. The one I've finally settled on is this www.etsy.com/uk/listing/116600262/sale-sale-sale-30-tanya-gray-backpack

Peopleplease Mon 20-Mar-17 18:37:09

I've got my eye on this one

It's a lot cheaper than the one I'm REALLY lusting over this one

Peopleplease Mon 20-Mar-17 18:38:24

Oh and have a look at Jujube on YouTube if you want to fall down a rabbit hole of packing videos!

IMissGin Mon 20-Mar-17 18:41:35

Have you looked at jem & bea? I love mine!

Mrs9C Mon 20-Mar-17 18:44:05

From the ones you linked to, this was my fav - yes, I have expensive taste! - www.pacapod.com/firenze-leather-changing-bag-175.html

I had the Storksak Elizabeth and loved i.

onthettcbus Mon 20-Mar-17 19:12:17

Have a look on the childrens salon website and child's play clothing, they have some lovely unusual designer ones.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 20-Mar-17 19:22:03

Dislike the first and the last one- the rest are lovely but I have a leather pacapod that is ridiculously heavy so I end up using the pods and a normal bag- I hadn't anticipated how heavy it would be so from a practical point of view I would say the rucksack one

Mrs9C Tue 21-Mar-17 16:16:57

This is true, leather bags have added weight, which is why I eventually, reluctantly, sold my Storksak.

AgathaMystery Tue 21-Mar-17 18:41:25

We had one of these each

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/navy-stripe-mini-diapering-mat-b6994.html?gclid=CMblg8-f6NICFYk_GwodCpYBWQ

Threw them in every bag we used & never had a change bag - I carried on using all my lovely handbags. grin

HiMyNameIsUnknown Tue 21-Mar-17 19:09:32

Like the Tiba & Marl one smile for looks.

My original changing bag was similar to one of the top ones, it was one big compartment and a nightmare to find small things like baby socks/my lip-balm, car keys etc.

I've now got a Pacapod (different to the one you like) and it's brilliant. It's so practical having multiple compartments and in a restaurant I can just take out the food or change section as I need them.

Bigfootedmamma Thu 23-Mar-17 06:01:39

Storksak! I bought the Ashley 24 months ago and it still looks almost as good as new!

DailyMailFuckRightOff Thu 23-Mar-17 06:07:09

Have been impressed with the quality of my tiba and marl. Went for a backpack as found it far too easy to just keep shoving stuff into a shoulder bag and it got ridic.

user1471495191 Thu 23-Mar-17 06:21:36

Some things which influenced my decision...
- worth choosing a bag your partner is also comfortable carrying / taking out alone
- made of material easy to wash/wipe down inside and out
- a bag big enough to carry all supplies - changing/bottles/feeding/weaning/toys etc (even though bfing we still needed to carry a change of clothes for me as well as our pukey reluxy baby)
- a bag I wasn't too precious about (given filthy changing rooms, poo-ey clothes, sicky baby, potential to forget bag)
- compartments can be useful (I stopped carrying a separate handbag whilst on mat leave)

I went for this one in the end. Pretty basic but it did the trick, never needed to change bags and I will be using it again for DC2:

www.amazon.co.uk/d/pj4/Baby-Elegance-2533-Everyday-Tote-Bag-Black/B007LYUOFO?tag=mumsnetforum-21

northernylass Thu 23-Mar-17 06:34:20

Storksak. I have the Elizabeth and it's beautiful. It has stayed in wonderful condition despite heavy use.

Pink Lining bags are just awful.

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Thu 23-Mar-17 07:04:51

Yes to weight being an issue. I had a canvas bag first time around and quickly ditched it as it was too heavy once I had filled it (especially once you're carrying water bottles, snacks, etc for toddlers).

For me I didn't worry about something my partner would use - he'd only use a 'sporty' rucksack, so I just let him sort himself out.

I like Storsak and had the Olivia bag. Really light, lots of pockets, doesn't scream 'changing bag'. I've even put it in the washing machine a couple of times. A long strap so you can wear it as a sling bag and be hands free, or hang over pram handles are an absolute must for me.

mowglik Thu 23-Mar-17 09:31:18

I had my eye on the Elizabeth storksak but having seen it in person thought it was a bit heavy even when empty. Went for this Oioi leather slouch tote in the end and love it, it looks totally like a handbag but has all the changing bits and pockets inside.

But I do also have a pink lining and a babymel bag from first dc and have to say the babymel is the best for interior organisation for baby bits and the integrated/hidden pocket for bottles is genius.

MamehaSan Thu 23-Mar-17 09:33:57

Definitely think about the weight of a fully-stocked changing bag. Some of the bags you've linked to in your op have fairly thin leather straps with no padding. If you're lugging the bag for anything more than a short time, they're going to dig into your shoulders and hurt!

Also seconding the suggestion of the little JoJo changing mats. Once DS1 had got past the reflux stage and we didn't need to cart a bag full of muslins and spare clothes round, we found that we used the our JoJo mat more often than the big changing bag.

Cellardoor23 Thu 23-Mar-17 15:39:20

I have a pacopod, I think it's great. The one I have is quite spacious, to the point I can put a decent amount of shopping in there too.

I also love the seperate pods as I like keeping everything seperate. If I'm just quickly going to the shops or a short trip out, I can just take the pod(s) which velcro onto the pram.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now