Talk

Advanced search

So... I've just got rid of ALL my clothes

(19 Posts)
TweedAddict Mon 20-Mar-17 10:50:34

Yep quite literally, other then a pair of jeans and 2 joules harbour and my work uniform I've ebayed /charity shopped/thrown out everything.

A moment of madness! But I'm so unhappy with my weight and how I look, I don't wear any of them anyway.

I'm going shopping at the weekend, help me get my act together to find an amazing new me!

I'm 30, Size 14/12 5'4 and I like to look classy, smart. I've lost myself over the past few years so going to get back to being me.

Please post your style ideas smile

Scrubba Mon 20-Mar-17 10:56:22

I feel nice when I wear a dress. I'm much more of a hoody girl though. My spring/post-divorce resolution is to wear more things that make me feel good and try to keep hoodies to a minimum.
I like asos, always a sale on and even full price isn't usually ridiculous. Loads of choice. You do have to sift through a lot of unsuitable stuff, I find, but there's always something I'd buy. Love their midi dresses.

CrowRoad Mon 20-Mar-17 10:59:55

I really want to do this!

Ponks Mon 20-Mar-17 11:04:22

Go slow. Take your time to think what style you are after. Get some good quality basics that make you feel good. Make sure everything goes together so you have a couple of outfits you can add to as and when. Difficult to make suggestions without knowing more about the look you are after but a good quality t shirt, tailored / smarter trousers and decent coat are a start.
Oh and by the way you are very brave! Sometimes i want to throw out loads and start from scratch but I find it hard to throw anything out.

Chipsandonionrings Mon 20-Mar-17 11:19:48

You are so brave I wanted to do this but bottled it. I have a random collection of very old, too small clothes aprox 10 yrs old and nice stuff from a charity shop that I have found and kept for when I lose my baby weight - 5 yrs and counting! My life is completely different now, working pt with 2 small kids and several st heavier.

I did just accept my weight and bought some new clothes in my actual size but I never got as far as throwing out the old stuff blush

I bought a nice wet weather coat, 2 pairs of trainers (supergra and gazelles), 6 tops, 2 jeans, 1 nice heels, lovely scarf, 2 sandals and a pair of loafers. New bras and pants ( no longer need a boob job, just needed bras that actually fitted!), fitted trousers, socks and a casual jacket.

I have a basic capsule wardrobe and will add to it. I feel great it suits my life now and now I feel more like my old myself.

I also restyled my hair and bought some great skin care, had my eyebrows done and nails painted. I figured that I couldn't lose weight whilst I felt and looked rubbish, whilst I am still fat I at least look a lot better!

Chipsandonionrings Mon 20-Mar-17 11:22:14

Also bought a dress (casual one) and white troseurs and 2 shirts. So actually quite a large capsule wardrobe!

TweedAddict Mon 20-Mar-17 11:23:17

Stupid more like! Definitely not brave! Lol

I do have my hair done, nails brows and get waxed. It's just my clothes let me down and I need to learn how to apply make up better- I'm awful at that!

I'll have a look and post pictures of things that I like

BreatheDeep Mon 20-Mar-17 11:27:16

Don't buy things because 'it will do' is my advice. Only buy things you feel good in.

Chipsandonionrings Mon 20-Mar-17 11:34:08

I always used to buy cheap clothes and stuff that "would do" but I didn't love. The thing I did differently this time I was to buy quality and expensive (for me) clothes that I adored. I still managed to get most of my bits in various sales and I shopped over a few months.

I will need to add some summer bits when the time comes. I invested in good shoes, coats, classic tops and underwear.

Good luck how exciting. Boden ( if that's your thing have 40% off sale)

TweedAddict Mon 20-Mar-17 11:36:39

Day time looks? Too much?

LoupGarou Mon 20-Mar-17 11:36:49

I did this after DS was born and only kept the clothes I love, and since then I've only bought clothes I love and which suit me. When I'm buying clothes if what I'm trying on doesn't look at least as good as what I'm wearing I don't buy it, and that seems to have worked well to stop my impulse buys which don't suit me.

A personal stylist once told me that the easiest way to freshen/smarten your look up is to upgrade one of your staples at a time, so if you usually wear skinny jeans, a cotton vest top and a cardigan, switch the vest top to a nice quality silk vest top, perhaps with some unusual detailing.

Chipsandonionrings Mon 20-Mar-17 11:39:04

Oh and another thing. I went to boots and bought a bb cream and did the lipstick match thing. For Xmas I got mascara and new glasses so now I look much more put together with bb cream, slash of lippy and mascara.

I dug out my good jewellery ( that never got used) and put it on my dressing table so I actally wear it. Ditto perfume and nice toiletries that I was saving for best 😮

In the lookout for a handbag for summer.

Chipsandonionrings Mon 20-Mar-17 11:40:40

Love all those outfits.

witwootoodleoo Mon 20-Mar-17 11:43:12

Do you have a John Lewis near you? If so their personal shopping servixe is free and normally very good with no pressure to buy. I've found it a great way of finding things that suit me that I never would have thought to pick up off the shelf myself. I made a deal with myself to at least try on everything they suggested. Some of it I didn't like but I surprised myself by finding quite a few things I loved that I would never have chosen myself

TweedAddict Mon 20-Mar-17 11:55:04

No I don't witwoo. However thinking of heading out to Cheltenham or if the weathers bad possibly the bullring. Both a little of an drive but other then joules, H&M, new Look, fat Face and primark that's we have in our town

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 20-Mar-17 12:54:46

I love the first picture op (the other two are fine, I just don't do skirts!)

Pinterest is definitely your friend here, would second the suggestion of seeing a personal shopper too.

What's your lifestyle like? What kind of clothes are you after?

Chipsandonionrings Mon 20-Mar-17 13:06:44

Def head over to your big town. Take a trusted mate and try on loads of stuff esp stuff you wouldn't usually try on.

Have fun!

TweedAddict Mon 20-Mar-17 13:36:08

I really struggle with trousers as I have the worlds thickest tights. Jeans are fine, but do need to be slim/skinnier ones. So I do tend to wear a lot skirts as I can hide them.

Never though of a personal shopper, I don't think my confidence would cope with that!

Chipsandonionrings Mon 20-Mar-17 14:03:52

I had a personal shopper ages ago. It was useful - granted there was a lot of stuff I didn't like but she didn't put me under pressure to buy and she fetched me loads of stuff. The bonus was I could stand there in my pants in a big changing room (alone) and not have the get dressed, undressed bit. Also she would get me the next size up/down as required.

I would recommend one, esp as you have such a mamouth task replacing all your clothes. I used debenhams as they have lots of concessions and a variable price points.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now