Talk

Advanced search

I've burned my cashmere jumper...

(6 Posts)
cakeymakey Mon 20-Mar-17 08:22:42

Help me ladies!

After lovingly hand washing my pale grey cashmere jumper in eucalan, I wrapped it in a towel and left to dry on the aga, overnight, as I've done many times before.

Except someone turned the aga up yesterday and a little bit of the jumper was exposed to direct heat. And is now a lovely shade of yellow.

Is there anything that can be done? Or is it fit only for the dustbin? I could cry - it's the closest thing to a hug I own in clothes form.

barefoofdoctor Mon 20-Mar-17 09:07:27

Oh no! Sorry no suggestions but feel your pain! Personally I just downgrade any cashmere which has become holey (despite anti moth bags/pomanders/regularly freezing to kill moth eggs) to slobs, though I think cashmere, like Landrovers and certain brands of boots look characterful with a bit of roughousing. It was a legitimate Aga injury which adds cache to this item! Failing that,Brandalley have bargaininous cashmere at the moment...

RickOShay Mon 20-Mar-17 11:48:06

i did this with a beautiful french connection fake fur jacket. i think i cried. i then did it again with dds beloved cream jacket. Really feel for you. could you possibly get a love heart patch?

cakeymakey Mon 20-Mar-17 12:37:22

Sorry....realise original post did sound a bit 'run out of brioche'/ middle class woes.....!

The scorch mark is way too big to patch.....

Has anyone tried dyeing cashmere jumpers? Can it be done? As its a pale grey colour I could go darker.....I feel I have nothing to lose....

Onawheel Mon 20-Mar-17 12:42:33

If dying doesn't work cut it up and make wrist warmers. You don't know warmth on the side of rugby pitch until you have cashmere wrist warmers😃.

I realise this is also abut like a I've run out of brioche type comment grin

Floisme Mon 20-Mar-17 12:49:29

I've dyed a couple of cashmere jumpers successfully. However they were 'vintage' (aka second hand!). It's riskier with modern knitwear because any stitching is likely to be synthetic so it doesn't take the colour. If you dye from pale grey to dark grey it shouldn't be so obvious and it may camouflage the burn sufficiently.
As you say, you may not have anything to lose. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now