Talk

Advanced search

Larger wedding guest

(21 Posts)
goingmadinthecountry Mon 20-Mar-17 00:28:06

I know it's been done lots but I'm so stuck for ideas. I'm going to a glam wedding in July - I'm 5'10 (my main issue for shoes because I hate hate hate being tall and looking ungainly, equally flat shoes are horrid. I'm also 53. With friends would be very happy in 3 in heels but I know I'll be so much taller than all of the other women I know there and look like a lumpy giantess. I'm size 18 (will be no carbing for a couple of months so will be size 16 but no big deal - my height/arm length is my big problem with fit). I'm an autumn apparently, curvy hourglass. Won't show upper arms and tummy. Legs OK. I have short (horrid fine) dark brown hair. Would love a 50s/60s coat dress combo type thing but know I'll look horrid whatever I wear. Formal is hard for me. No real idea of budget - will need a hat too. Don't want to go too Gina Bacconi because I'm really not ready for that age wise. Can't be Phase 8 - needs to be a bit less obvious label wise. Any ideas??

Notmyrealname85 Mon 20-Mar-17 00:48:19

You're not going to look horrid at all! You'll be a beauty smile

Are these too informal?

m.asos.com/lovedrobe-luxe/lovedrobe-luxe-rose-embellished-bodice-maxi-dress-with-wrap-skirt/prd/7627877?iid=7627877&clr=Navy&SearchQuery=&cid=8799&pgesize=50&pge=0&totalstyles=114&gridsize=2&gridrow=21&gridcolumn=2

m.asos.com/asos-curve/asos-curve-midi-skater-dress-with-scuba-skirt-and-lace-top/prd/7416962?iid=7416962&clr=Red&SearchQuery=&cid=8799&pgesize=100&pge=1&totalstyles=114&gridsize=2&gridrow=38&gridcolumn=2

m.asos.com/lovedrobe-luxe/lovedrobe-luxe-long-sleeve-v-neck-midi-dress-with-delicate-sequin-and-tulle-skirt/prd/7506641?iid=7506641&clr=Navy&SearchQuery=&cid=8799&pgesize=100&pge=1&totalstyles=114&gridsize=2&gridrow=43&gridcolumn=1

m.asos.com/little-mistress-plus/little-mistress-plus-short-sleeve-lace-bodice-midi-dress-with-tulle-skirt/prd/7328052?iid=7328052&clr=Burgundy&SearchQuery=&cid=8799&pgesize=63&pge=2&totalstyles=113&gridsize=2&gridrow=30&gridcolumn=2

I'll post more stuff, will keep googling!!

Pa it's incredibly easy and free to return asos stuff! smile

Notmyrealname85 Mon 20-Mar-17 00:50:35

I'm the type that would spill canapés down this but it's a pretty colour smile www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/blue-floral-printed-prom-dress/wj711/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=5205#colour:Blue%20Floral,size:

Pretty florals: www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/blackpink-floral-printed-prom-dress/wj710/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=5205#colour:Black/Pink,size:

MiddleClassProblem Mon 20-Mar-17 00:53:47

Monsoon and coast both do plus size too.

Shoes wise I go for nice sandals, maybe with a bit of embellishment on it as ballet pumps and the like kill me.

highinthesky Mon 20-Mar-17 00:54:59

Be proud of your stature! I am over 6' in heels and a size 14 and certainly don't look like a lumpy giantess, but I do stand out in a crowd for the right reasons.

What wrong with Phase Eight btw? (I wear it a lot for work and wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the dressier outfits for an occasion).

goingmadinthecountry Mon 20-Mar-17 01:12:21

Thanks all for the confidence boost! I have lots of heels I never wear.

Notmyrealname, some great dresses there thanks but we're definitely talking formal for this do. And expensive. That's where I struggle- am absolutely fine with everyday stuff.

Really appreciate all the ideas.

Quite liking Bombshell website - anyone tried in real life for length etc?

MiddleClassProblem Mon 20-Mar-17 01:15:56

Also look at house of Fraser. They have some lovely stuff too.

goingmadinthecountry Mon 20-Mar-17 01:16:56

Nothing wrong with Phase 8 at all - have a fair bit already, but this do is a bit more chichi, that's all. Not very me, which is my problem. Lovely people, so want to make an effort.

Notmyrealname85 Mon 20-Mar-17 01:29:54

Hm tricky...

Full length? m.johnlewis.com/chesca-ruched-bodice-jewel-dress/p/1097192

Or similar and mid length: m.johnlewis.com/jolie-moi-three-quarter-sleeve-scalloped-lace-dress/p/3119963

A wrap? m.johnlewis.com/chesca-border-wrap-dress-ivory-grey/p/1893692

Or to dress up with jewellery: m.johnlewis.com/chesca-crush-pleat-dress-navy/p/3136728

Another full length: m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_64413+80706GREEN_-1

ShoutOutToMyEx Mon 20-Mar-17 01:54:47

I'm 6'4 in my favourite shoes and I don't care at all! I love wearing heels. I've never had anything but positive comments to my face, and I'm sure anyone who talks behind my back would find something else to bitch about if it wasn't my high heels!

I've never seen a party dress that doesn't look better with a heel. Give it a go smile

highinthesky Mon 20-Mar-17 02:04:49

If it's very chi chi I might be tempted to hire something than buy an item I won't wear again.

knowler Mon 20-Mar-17 13:31:19

If you're going to be a size 16, then you're not exactly huge but have you looked at Marina Rinaldi? It's the plus size (I hate this term - it starts at size 12 FGS) for Max Mara and consequently, has some really good stuff which is unlikely to be worn by anyone else. this for example could look amazing with your colouring and shape?

Bluntness100 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:36:11

I'm five eight nearly five nine and regularly wear three or four inch heels. Flat shoes can make you look dumpy. Don't be concerned about your height. Wear what you feel good in. A decent pair of heels can make your legs look longer and make you look taller and slimmer.

The only rule is you need to be able to walk in them.

Minniemagoo Mon 20-Mar-17 13:42:33

I like Studio 8 at the minute. Bought a couple of outfits for a wedding and christening recently. The fit is good for larger person, am size 18 and same hright as you. I can't do links as on phone but one dress I bought was 'Destiny' dress.

tigerrun Mon 20-Mar-17 14:01:41

I'm the same size as you (and am not enjoying it either OP, I know where you are coming from!).

I know LTS gets trotted out on all tall recommendations and I mostly hate their clothes, but they are good on dresses sometimes. I quite like the look of this:

www.longtallsally.com/dresses/yas-tall-floris-cut-out-back-dress-05AA065/p?option=05AA065NAV

Also either LTS maxis or I wore some Sam Edelman sandals with a really nice maxi from Next Tall which looked way more expensive than it was.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 20-Mar-17 14:07:35

Have you looked at Finery?

tigerrun Mon 20-Mar-17 14:08:39

I like this too (must actually go and do some work...totally sidetracked here!):

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LADIES-DESIGNER-LONG-TALL-SALLY-BLACK-WHITE-STRIPE-DRESS-UK-SIZE-16-length-44-/351999807628?hash=item51f4d2d08c:g:m38AAOSwfVpYvd2l

SpiritedLondon Mon 20-Mar-17 16:41:04

I second Finery ..... I thought they were online only but found them in John Lewis - Oxford Street. I also think Jaeger is worth a look.... more contemporary than they used to be.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 20-Mar-17 17:29:40

Oh yes, Jaeger too. I do Jaeger outlet for posh work, Finery for going out posh!

Finery are online here

goingmadinthecountry Mon 20-Mar-17 21:15:53

Thanks for all those suggestions. A big problem is that in my head I am far from 53, and far from the size I am. In my imaginary life I also have loads of money so designer is no problem!! I get into John Lewis and reality returns.

I don't think long is right for this particular do and a hat will definitely be required so I'll have a good trundle through the suggested websites - Finery always pops up but haven't had a good look. Our Outlet has a Jaeger so will have a look around, and maybe a trip to JL in Oxford Street is in order.

Had a decent dress for dd1's graduation from Long Tall Sally (navy and white spot wrap dress) that is always complimented but agree it's a bit hit and miss there.

I will wear heels - flat shoes are frumpy for posh, I do agree. Just don't like being tall. Mind you, those dresses on Marina Rinaldi website would all look better in heels.

Thanks ladies - at the very least you have restored my confidence.

lionsleepstonight Mon 20-Mar-17 21:21:01

I love bombshell dresses. Never had one, but dream of having the occasion to get one.
If you're a curvey hourglass I think it would be perfect, especially the 3/4 sleeve ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now