Talk

Advanced search

Need help - custom insoles - I don't want to wear old lady shoes

(36 Posts)
gameofchance Sat 18-Mar-17 22:13:20

My dodgy feet are beyond redemption and I have just been fitted with custom insoles. But I can't find any Boots that will take them that are vaguely nice / not old lady like.

Podiatrist no help. Kept banging on about trainers. I can't wear trainers for work. I am expected to look smart. And then gave me a catalogue for old lady shoes. On weekends etc I wear leggings / slim fit jeans / tunics and trainers just look shit with these (as I don't look like a runner).

contacted Dr Martens online but they said only one of their ranges would be suitable (Elate?) and it is no good for me because it isn't lace up.

This has seriously knocked my confidence. I am already feeling shit about myself because I haven't been able to shift weight and it is 3 years since I had last DC and now i haven't even got any nice boots. Sob.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sat 18-Mar-17 22:20:43

I wear Scholl gel inserts in all of my normal shoes. I have the "high heel" gel ones in normal heels and the "work" ones in boots or more substantial shoes. I love them.

But I guess that's no good if you have to use your special inserts and they are huge.

Have you tried normal boots on with the inserts?

gameofchance Sat 18-Mar-17 22:33:15

Yeah, I've tried normal boots and the problem is that there isn't enough depth in the toe area as the insoles are full length. so I need something where I can remove the existing insoles and replace with my own.

I'm sure there is a solution. I haven't worn heels for years. I just want something normal looking.

Nicketynac Sat 18-Mar-17 22:33:40

Following with interest. My podiatrist said to look for shoes with removable insoles, to replace with my own, but I have had no luck finding any that aren't awful.
Have you tried Skechers? They have some that are not too sporty looking but still comfy (too tight for my insoles but good enough to wear without insoles if my foot is not actually sore).
Have you tried going up half a size to make room?

OhTheRoses Sat 18-Mar-17 22:51:36

Boots are easy, just go up a size. Clarks, Hotter (they aren't all awful), Rieker all have some styles with removable in-soles. There's a,shop near me (called Shortlands) that does casual sandals with an inbuilt orthotic/arch support. I have a,half length orthitic for high days/going out shoes.

If shoes have a,strap or are lace-ups you can upsize for the insert.

Careful shopping and if it's any consolation my feet are so much better I can wear nicer shoes occasionally now.

gameofchance Sat 18-Mar-17 23:05:32

Thanks for tips re Hotter. Unfortunately they just don't fit me. They are too wide. Also my podiatrist insisted I don't size up as she said my feet shouldn't be slipping around in boot or shoe and that i need laces. I need to wear insoles every day.

Bloopbleep Sat 18-Mar-17 23:15:32

I have to wear I soles from podiatry and I wear lace up doc martens without any problem. I have narrow feet so struggle to find boots I can wear that fit even with insoles.

helzapoppin2 Sat 18-Mar-17 23:34:27

A lot of Ecco shoes have removable insoles, but orthotics still only work best with something high fronted to hold your foot in.

gameofchance Sat 18-Mar-17 23:38:59

just looking at ecco boots - quite like the high top style. would be no good for work but would be fine with jeans / leggings

gameofchance Sat 18-Mar-17 23:39:24

Christ look at the time. I need to go to bed.

Iamastonished Sat 18-Mar-17 23:42:22

I really like the look of Ecco high tops. They are £££ though.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 19-Mar-17 07:48:00

It needs to be a flat, fastening shoe that you can't take off without undoing the fastening or the insole can't work. Can you wear trousers to work?.

Thewolvesarerunningagain Sun 19-Mar-17 08:07:34

I feel, and share, your pain. My orthotics are a full inch deep in places. There was a great thread here a while back, called something like Jesus! I need to wear granny shoes ( sorry I cant find the link from my phone) and a lot of people offered some brilliant suggestions, including good high street options.

Trustyourself2 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:31:42

You've probably seen these?

www.simplyfeet.co.uk/index.php/women-s-footwear/shoes/flats.html?p=2

www.alreadypretty.com/reader-request-stylish-shoes-that-accomodate-orthotics/

aniceearlynight Sun 19-Mar-17 09:55:54

My mum has to wear orthotics all the time and she likes shoes by a French brand called Mephisto - like Ecco, they are expensive but some of the trainers and brogues are really smart.

inisfree Sun 19-Mar-17 09:58:18

Caprice shoes have removable insoles for some of their shoes

http://www.caprice.de/en/collection/?shoetype=Laced+Shoe&page=2

Just bought these.

inisfree Sun 19-Mar-17 10:00:31

Sorry these ones

inisfree Sun 19-Mar-17 10:04:27

Apologies, I'm having trouble posting a photo, but its the second photo ( rose gold shoes) on second page.

finagler Sun 19-Mar-17 10:07:16

Chuck the orthotics away and buy some thinner ones over the counter. They do exactly the same job.

aniceearlynight Sun 19-Mar-17 10:14:24

Just remembered that there is also a German brand called Think that mum has bought trainers and ankle boots from and they are well worth a look. They have exchangeable insoles so you can put your orthotics in.

Gingernaut Sun 19-Mar-17 10:17:53

finagler - no they don't.

Ignore this one OP.

Shantotto Sun 19-Mar-17 10:42:10

I have the same problem. I can't size up really as I'm already a large size 8.

I wear 8 hole DMs toed tightly on and Nike Jordan IIIs. I dug out an old pair of clarks desert boots I had and they have a very flat sole so I can fit my insoles in ok.

I desperately want more than two pairs of shoes though! I sometimes don't wear them which is really bad.

I had some Think boots years ago that I loved I'd like some more but they're expensive.

thatwomanwho Sun 19-Mar-17 11:13:31

Have you tried going a size up? I have a pair (amittedly not custom) in a pair of DM's, they also fit in Vans a half size big along with various other shoes. and with good quality new shoes I found the shoe would eventually adjust to the insole. I also wear a pair of (ew I hate them) crocs as house shoes to help the situation from derailing blush

I know it's upsetting but remember it's worth it in the long run flowers

ChishandFips33 Sun 19-Mar-17 11:23:19

I feel your pain and have been where you are

When you find something, buy a spare pair! I lived in fugly but comfortable shoes for a year - so now I stock up when I find something nice and comfortable.

I can remove the insole from my Dr Martens Pascal which means my insoles fit. The leather is soft so also gives easily

Clarkes brogues for work?

Superga/Vans metallic trainers are more for fashion rather than sporty so may work with your wardrobe

MojoMoon Sun 19-Mar-17 11:23:41

I have a pair of think brogues with removable insoles for my custom insoles which are inoffensive, plain, dark grey, small heel.

I just sized up in DM boots and trainers and knee high boots and the custom insoles work fine in those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now