Talk

Advanced search

Help! I have no idea what clothes to buy

(3 Posts)
Mothercoco Sat 18-Mar-17 16:58:42

Hello! First time posting here.

I'm in a bit of a rut. I'm in serious need of some new clothes - I currently own 1 pair of jeans, 1 top (lightweight denim shirt) and 1 jumper, all very safe choices.

But I have ZERO idea on what to buy. I was a small size 10, rounder bum and thighs with a small waist. Since the birth of my third child I'm now a size 14 (maybe a small 16) with no waist and a really wobbly mum tum.

I want to push my comfort boundaries, I love all the floaty tops, embroidery and gingham that are lurking about but I have zero confidence or idea what looks good and what doesn't. My opinion is tainted because I always think I look awful in everything.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for with this post exactly but help, please?

228agreenend Sat 18-Mar-17 17:07:54

What shape would you say you are - apple? Pear? Google the old Trinny and Suzanne -type sites to see what style of clothes suit your figure.

I'm a pear and look best in brighter tops, and plain trousers/skirts (including the anti-Mumsnet bootcuts!). V-necks do nothing for me, whilst round next tops are fine.

Have you tried a personal shopping. Some department stores offer this service. There's no obligation to buy anything.

Have you got a friend who can go with you. I went with a work colleague as I wanted to buy a dress and wasn't sure what suited me. I ended up buying two form Bon Marche - a shop I never usually go into but she pulled out some gems which I love, and would never have considered.

Go with an open mind and have fun trying clothes on. Alternatively, Next have a sale and M and S have sales on. Randomly order things you may like, try them on in the safety of your home, and return what you don't buy. (I returned £100 stuff to a Next recently - oops, got a bit carried away one evening).

noodleaddict Sat 18-Mar-17 17:08:58

I was going to suggest personal shopping too. Been thinking of doing it myself for the same reason!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now