Talk

Advanced search

Is his and her matching really a thing when attending weddings?

(30 Posts)
dilapidated Sat 18-Mar-17 13:23:57

I've been to a few wedding with exh, never once did we consider complimenting our colours together.

My dp and his family all plan their suits / ties depending on what the partners are wearing.

Is this a thing?

I was just going to pick up a dress last minute but I've realised dp is waiting on finding out what I'm wearing so he knows what tie etc to get 😬

witwootoodleoo Sat 18-Mar-17 13:26:13

How odd. Maybe it's in case one of you gets too drunk and passes out so that the OH can be identified by the colour of their outfit?!

HopefullyDothButterNoParsnips Sat 18-Mar-17 13:27:13

Bless him. It's not a thing but clearly something your DPs family like to do. I think it's nice!

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Sat 18-Mar-17 13:27:36

I buy all the clothes for my DH so occasionally for a wedding I'll do a similar colour, or I'll tell him what he is wearing. I thought I was just me. It's better than clashing I suppose.

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 18-Mar-17 13:29:01

We've always done it, I thought it was the 'normal' thing to do? Only as far as a complementary tie though, not like a whole outfit should I mention that I match the kids too, or will i come across as weird? grin

Pootles2010 Sat 18-Mar-17 13:29:23

Yes my dp does this - matches his tie to my outfit! Its quite old fashioned but sweet I think. I wouldn't bother personally but it makes him happy.

WhooooAmI24601 Sat 18-Mar-17 13:30:25

DH and I often do the subconscious matching thing where he'll pick out a navy suit and I'll go for a navy dress/coat. But that's as far as it goes.

In Next you can buy matching mens and children's outfits. Intentionally planning it to that degree sounds mad.

Lapinlapin Sat 18-Mar-17 13:31:29

I have to admit I've never heard of this before!

Off to a wedding soon, so will have a look to see how many matching couples I can spot!

GrumpyOldBag Sat 18-Mar-17 13:32:01

It's naff.

BusterGonad Sat 18-Mar-17 13:32:57

I think it's quite sweet actually.

MrsMoastyToasty Sat 18-Mar-17 13:37:42

We don't do that, but then again he usually wears his kilt (his clan colours which include a lot of green and blue ). I just make sure I don't wear tartan, which I don't generally anyway because I'm English.

user1489179512 Sat 18-Mar-17 14:16:57

Naff.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sat 18-Mar-17 22:19:01

Yeah I think it's naff to consciously match, but if my partner chose to wear a tie that happened to match my outfit I wouldn't tell him he had to choose a different one because I wouldn't expect anyone to notice anyway.

Crumbs1 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:30:19

Totally non u

Wondermoomin Sat 18-Mar-17 22:49:02

If it looks too matchy-matchy then it's a bit naff. But very subtle coordination is not a bad thing.

A photographer advised us to have a common colour in our outfits when we did an outdoorsy, natural family photo session a few years ago. We ended up doing blue denim and white top for me; blue denim and blue and white checked shirt for my husband; blue and white dress for DD1; blue dress with a splash of red and white for DD2. All of our outfits looked completely different but the overlapping colour palette made it quite a cohesive look that worked well in photos. I think if you want a pulled together look for an event then similar principles can help, but it's not worth getting too bothered about if your preferred outfits don't coordinate. Looking like you've tried to match it up is a bit twee.

OhTheRoses Sat 18-Mar-17 22:57:49

No.

Tequilamockinbird Sat 18-Mar-17 22:59:55

My DH will wear a tie which matches my outfit, when we're at a wedding.

Most of the time he doesn't realise this though grin

IvorHughJarrs Sat 18-Mar-17 23:00:23

I think we are doing well if we all get anywhere fully dressed in ironed clothes with no food stains!

NotTheBelleoftheBall Sat 18-Mar-17 23:04:13

I thought this was normal. DH always tries to coordinate his tie (and, on occasion, pocket square) with whatever I'm wearing.

For example the last wedding we went to, I wore a navy blue and coral dress and he wore a navy suit and coral tie. Come to think of it, we are a bit matchy-matchy-chicken-scratchy.

coxsorangepippin Sat 18-Mar-17 23:09:01

We try to do non-clashing, but wouldn't try to match.

That said, at the last Big Do on my family's side my DH sweetly announced he'd packed a shirt to match with my (sage green with apricot flowers) dress...the shirt turned out to be bright fuchsia pink grin

MumBod Sat 18-Mar-17 23:19:54

Is this you two, OP?

wink

dilapidated Sat 18-Mar-17 23:47:42

Haha. That is a whole other level of cheese !

I think dp wouldn't mind which is the scary thing

KickAssAngel Sun 19-Mar-17 00:17:48

It's what American high schoolers do for prom - the tie and pocket patch for the guy matches the dress of the woman.

TSSDNCOP Sun 19-Mar-17 15:54:36

No, no, no.

Cheesetastic.

Beaten only by complimentary bow tie/cumberband.

TSSDNCOP Sun 19-Mar-17 16:00:30

Co-ordinating, not complimentary. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now