Talk

Advanced search

What would you wear for your first day in a new job?

(7 Posts)
daimbar Sat 18-Mar-17 10:16:19

It's a big company, corporate but not overly formal.

It's a management position and I'm a 35 yr old female. I don't like pencil skirts.

Please give me inspiration on how to look good from day 1? Thank you!

stream26 Sat 18-Mar-17 10:25:15

I would go with the funky casual look for the first few days. It may be a case where people wear whatever most of the time and just dress up a bit when they're meeting with clients etc.
Congrats on the new job by the way - hope you enjoy it

daimbar Sat 18-Mar-17 10:37:16

Thanks Stream would you say skirt or trousers?
I usually wear black trousers and a smart top but want to look a bit more stylish and professional.
Any pictures or links gratefully received!

MaryLennoxsScowl Sat 18-Mar-17 10:39:49

What's your usual work look? Wear something slightly more formal than you'll probably end up wearing once you've settled in - it's better to be smart than to worry about being underdressed. As you don't like pencil skirts, really nice trousers and a fine-knit jersey or a nice shirt would be good - either slouchy Katharine Hepburn style ones or culottes, or peg leg: m.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/stitched-waist-band-peg-trousers-6301452 or m.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/hutton-cropped-trousers-by-unique-6268601

daimbar Sat 18-Mar-17 10:45:05

Oh thanks Mary, love the ones on the first link - shame they don't have a 12 to order online, might pop over to Topshop and have a look this afternoon. The others at £165 are a bit out my price range, can afford up to about £80 per item and looking for a few good quality tops, skirts, trousers, shoes.

ChocolateSherberts2017 Sat 18-Mar-17 11:29:49

Can you remember what people wore in the office when you went for your interview? I often take a good look at people's clothes when I'm waiting in reception & through the office to the interview room. It helps me to get an idea of the culture of the place in case I end up working there.

I'd go smart for the first few days, maybe a blouse/shirt & a skirt/trousers with either a smart cardy or jacket which I can take off.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Sat 18-Mar-17 11:43:52

I think the advice here so far is good: on balance, I think it is better to be slightly over-dressed rather than under-dressed. Make sure it is also comfortable, so you are not self-conscious fidlding with the way something hangs, for example, or in a top which makes you a bit hot or sweaty, as you will likely be a bit nervous and don'the want to exacerbate discomfort. I was fortunate: as a part of my second interview, I met many of the colleagues I would be working with and saw how they dressed not that that was much help, as it varied so much!.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now