Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tops for work - help!!

(24 Posts)
stringbean Sat 18-Mar-17 08:31:33

I'm stuck on ideas for tops I can wear for work, particularly in the summer. My default workwear is black/navy/dark grey cropped trousers, a jersey jacket (eg. Whistles) and a top. I've tended to wear a stripey t-shirt, but they do look a bit dull, but I'm stuck for anything else. My requirements are:

- natural fabric (I travel a lot round the country and a lot of the places I visit don't have air conditioning so can be really hot in the summer)
- short-sleeves
- round/v neck (not high neck - chest too big to take this)
- long enough in the body (I'm 5'8 with long body)
- plain, not patterned (stripe is ok)
- size 12-14 or M, depending on how sizing is
- don't want to blow the budget, but equally want 3-4 items that are going to last (I don't care if it's the same thing but in different colours)

Can anyone help me please?

stringbean Sat 18-Mar-17 08:36:29

I think I'm a 'summer' if that helps, so veer more towards blue/grey/soft colours. I don't wear anything yellow/orange/bright green.

stringbean Sat 18-Mar-17 16:27:51

Bump. Anyone??

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 18-Mar-17 16:51:06

I'm similar with a long torso, regular tops look ridiculous/indecent on me!

I've not found the answer yet. In the past I've worn long line vests under regular shirts so I'm still covered, but that won't help if your work environment is hot.

In winter I wear tunic dresses over trousers, is that an option for you?

stringbean Sat 18-Mar-17 18:33:41

Thanks for the suggestions curtains - unfortunately tunic dresses and trousers is really not something I would wear. I agree, most of the 'dressier' tops around which are intended as 'workwear' are usually too short and I don't fancy flashing my midriff every time I bend over or lift up my arms. And a lot of them are polyester.

Space is limited in my luggage when I travel, and shirts require ironing, so I'm probably looking at jersey if I'm honest. I'm just conscious that it veers into frumpy territory (I'm nearly 50) - which is another thread entirely!

Semaphorically Sat 18-Mar-17 18:39:48

I travel with one of these - I can pack things that crumple slightly now (not linen or pure cotton, still need an iron for those).

For work I often wear a long cotton vest (H&M ones are good) with a silk top over it. I've travelled with them and the steamer gets the silk looking ironed. There are some nice silk front/cotton jersey back tees around as well that I like for travelling.

Dozer Sat 18-Mar-17 18:41:13

Natural fabrics are hard to find and expensive sad

stringbean Sat 18-Mar-17 18:43:25

I'm usually away for 2 nights/3 days, so take one bag/pilotcase which fits my laptop/files, clothes plus a miniscule bag for toiletries. I can't even fit a book in there, let alone a mini steamer, sadly.

stringbean Sat 18-Mar-17 18:45:23

Agree natural fabrics are hard to find - even decent quality cotton that isn't see-through is hard to find. I have some basic Gap t-shirts from about 20 years ago that are lovely thick cotton - can't find anything around to compare with them these days.

Semaphorically Sat 18-Mar-17 18:48:11

COS is good for natural fabrics.

stringbean Sat 18-Mar-17 18:59:23

The Cos stuff looks great on the models, but not sure how it would look on anyone with boobs! I tend to go for clothes that are simple and not embellished in any way, so anything with frills/uneven hems/trims etc just don't suit me. Surely it can't be this hard??

snowgirl1 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:02:25

I have a few Boden Ravello tops in different colours for work - they come in round neck or v-neck. They're silk/viscose blend. I'm 5' 10" and don't find them too short. Or there's also Boden's Ravenna top which has a dipped back hem for a bit of extra length.

snowgirl1 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:03:05

Oh, just saw your post about uneven hems.

bionicant Sat 18-Mar-17 19:05:57

Have you looked at baukjen I have lots of their tops and the seem to suit long bodies

DavidPuddy Sat 18-Mar-17 19:23:44

Uniqlo have lots of rayon sleeveless and short sleeved shirts in decent colours at the moment. I know it is not natural fabric, but it is nice to wear and nice to look after. The shirts are nice and long and well cut. I also got a nice cotton sleeveless striped shirt in h&m recently for 10 euros.

Lucked Sat 18-Mar-17 19:37:12

Silk isn't very breathable so I don't wear it I summer, do you wear viscose?

Fat face and the like often have cotton tops which are wearable to work like this

this is viscose but possibly too high neckline

TheGrumpySquirrel Sat 18-Mar-17 19:38:07

I have the same issue.. so hard to find smart work tops that aren't artificial fabric, and are not too high cut (D cup here). I just look fat in the current fashion of high neck tops that are loose further down

Lucked Sat 18-Mar-17 19:42:10

white stuff

OohNoDooEy Sat 18-Mar-17 19:47:25

www.jaegeroutlet.com/Cotton-Frill-Sleeveless-Top/651013W,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_651013W_color=10000&dwvar_651013W_size=6&start=31&cgid=womens-sale&prefn1=department&prefv1=Tops%20%26%20Blouses&prefn2=size&prefv2=12

OohNoDooEy Sat 18-Mar-17 19:50:29

m.esprit.co.uk/oversized-top-in-cotton-jersey-027EE1K010_044

FinallyHere Sat 18-Mar-17 20:02:31

https://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk

stringbean Sat 18-Mar-17 20:07:37

Thank you for all your suggestions - there are a lot of shops here that I haven't tried previously. Never shopped in Baukjen, but actually love the clothes (have just spotted a dress I like the look of!) although the tops aren't short-sleeved, maybe they'll have some more summery ones in soon? Good to know they suit longer torsos. I like the Ravenna tops - but why are there so few sizes left (might look at eBay)?? I like the Uniqlo ones too, though not sure about the fabric - I'm near a Uniqlo for work this week, so may nip down there are check them out if I have time.

Dozer Sat 18-Mar-17 20:21:48

Kettlewell stuff is almost all synthetic

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 18-Mar-17 20:25:52

I think you're my clothing twin OP! Lots of useful ideas on the thread...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now