We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thin lank hair

(15 Posts)
wobblywonderwoman Fri 17-Mar-17 19:07:19

In a nutshell

I have really fine, oily and lifeless hair. I have tried a lot of different shampoos and products but any wise tips would be greatly appreciated. (Fibrology etc only seemed to coat film to my hair and made it worse)

MrsPnut Fri 17-Mar-17 19:22:15

I'm plonking myself down too for some ideas. I have to wash my hair every day and still by the end of the day it looks like I've been in the chip pan. I don't bother styling it because it will only last for 20 minutes before it is back to hanging limply.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Fri 17-Mar-17 19:46:29

I don't have oily hair but I used some sea salt spray to liven it up recently which a) worked but left it stiff and weirdly textured but b) meant I didn't have to wash it for an extra day or two.

I may have used too much though - I will experiment with using less BUT in terms of drying out oily hair, it might be worth a try? Or dry shampoo?

wobblywonderwoman Fri 17-Mar-17 19:49:17

Oh I think I have sea salt spray somewhere - must try it. Does your hair need to be nearly dry before you apply it ?

keeponkeepinon Fri 17-Mar-17 19:50:37

Oo! Elnett volume mousse in a pump can. There was a thread about it a week or so ago and I have since stocked up!
My hair is fine and flat and this gives it so much volume and body without being stiff or sticky. Plus it's doesn't seem to get oily as quickly.

keeponkeepinon Fri 17-Mar-17 19:52:07

this thread is well worth a read

keeponkeepinon Fri 17-Mar-17 19:53:54

And in addition, I've started using Alberto balsam apple shampoo and conditioner and it feels really clean without being dried out.

justwanttoweeinpeace Fri 17-Mar-17 19:59:13

I alternate a day with wet shampoo and a day with dry shampoo. Put the dry shampoo on before bed (tie it up) and then it should look fine by the time you wake up. Otherwise it doesn't get time to suck up any of the grease and it looks bleurgh.

I found highlights dry it out a bit and make it look thicker than it is. I'm not blonde, they are just a couple of shades lighter than my own hair colour.

Too long and it looks even worse. During the day I kind of sweep it so most of it is in front of my shoulders. It doesn't look quite so thin then.

Also I only ever condition the tips of my hair.

justwanttoweeinpeace Fri 17-Mar-17 20:00:39

Salt spray is good but it's a bit of a gamble to use. If I don't use too much it can look great but one spritz too much and I look weird.

wobblywonderwoman Fri 17-Mar-17 20:09:14

Really appreciate the tips and will check out that thread.. Off to get the loreal mousse in the morning. Will be a goddess by this time tomorrow night grin

Gracey79 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:13:14

Samy fat hair range from Superdrug helped mine look quite a bit thicker, only other thing that's helped is having highlights

wobblywonderwoman Fri 17-Mar-17 20:34:41

I recently got a few highlights grace and going for a haircut for the second time this month to see will a decent cut make a difference. It is so frustrating. I considered getting (don't laugh) a perm to boost it a bit.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Fri 17-Mar-17 20:49:25

What I meant to say about the salt spray was that it certainly dried my hair out a bit so if it's oiliness that's a problem, a few squirts might help.

Agree though, a squirt too many and you look like Beetlejuice. I overdid it - next time I will be more frugal with the stuff.

Scribblegirl Fri 17-Mar-17 20:51:02

Fibrology air - regular fibrology made my hair too heavy but the air version made mine amazing!

barefoofdoctor Sat 18-Mar-17 20:02:07

Alpecin caffeine shampoo C1 is the business. Still working on finding a conditioner ( looking at Lee Stafford hair growth range or Trevor Sorbie rejuvenate).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now