Talk

Advanced search

Sunscreen for sensitive skin

(14 Posts)
Waddlelikeapenguin Fri 17-Mar-17 15:05:30

Hello,
Bit scared of this board as I am neither stylish nor beautiful but here goes!

My skin is very dry, have ezema & extremely sensitive. Preservatives are a massive problem as are lanolin (even the super special non allergic ones wink), perfume & many essential oils.

I am also very very pale (Scottish), burn crazy easily & allergic to the sun!

I use REN moisturiser & ultrasun (& my skin even reacts to ultra sun sometimes). I would love something I could use every day that is moisturiser & SPF in one.

I don't understand wear make up.

Thanks!

elephantcuddles Fri 17-Mar-17 16:00:16

UltraSun has high amounts of SD Alcohol/denatured alcohol which is awful for anybody's skin and can dry it out/cause cell death.
Try a sunscreen meant for babies, no fragrance, no SD alcohol. La Roche Posay is good or CeraVe.

Amammi Fri 17-Mar-17 16:01:56

Another vote for La Roche Possay only thing my daughter who has sensitive skin can use

Waddlelikeapenguin Fri 17-Mar-17 17:56:59

Thank you is there one La Roche Possay I should try in particular? (There is a bewildering array!)

Cerave contains beeswax which I'm also allergic to so that's out unfortunately.

elephantcuddles Fri 17-Mar-17 18:05:37

The Anthelios one is good but the baby one is too thick to wear under makeup and leaves a white cast. Bioderma is also good! You might want to have a look at their moisturizers with SPF as well. The La Roche Posay Anthelios wins awards.

TimTamTerrier Fri 17-Mar-17 18:07:18

Sunsense do one called Sunsensitive which is very mild, but looks pale on the skin. They also do a slightly tinted one called Daily Face which looks good on and doesn't irritate my normally sensitive skin, I don't have eczema though.

nell15 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:10:32

I am half Irish and have fair skin which burns easy and it gets irritated by a lot of products even those supposed to be for sensitive skin, oh and beeswax too!
I have been using the day cream and the night from here https://elenasnaturecollection.co.uk. They do a sunscreen too and although their products are made for people with psoriasis and eczema they are great for the likes of you and me.
Elena will talk to you and give you advice

MrsT2007 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:18:56

Walk away from anything with chemical sunscreens.

Sadly this rules a lot out. However, there are some cracking ones.

Sun Sense sensitive (factor 50) in purple tube
Green People organic kids (F25)
MooGoo cover up buttercup (F15) or natural sunscreen (F30)

Take it from someone who has had two massive allergic reactions to sunscreens that if you're remotely sensitive skinned these are all great. They're titanium dioxide based, so physical blocker rather than chemicals,

There's not a single one I can buy in Boots as is allergic to the major chemical sunscreen in use. Even "hypoallergenic" ones.

I'm super pale too

Sciurus83 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:42:30

La roche posey anthelios 50+ fluid in the square bottle. The tinted one is very nice if you were looking for something with a little colour, I find the regular one smells a little of yoghurt but that might just be me! There are very few high spectrum sun screens combined with moisturisers. You would be better using two products IMHO.

elephantcuddles Fri 17-Mar-17 18:49:06

I've heard good things about Green People, MrsT.

Waddlelikeapenguin Sat 18-Mar-17 00:05:54

Thank you!
Lots of ingredient lists to read! why is bloody geranium oil in everything

ontherightpath Sat 18-Mar-17 09:34:48

I bought Bioderma photoderm max 50 last week (after weeks of research) and its great, no irritation at all. Dermalogica ultra calming sun cream uses zinc oxide and titanium dioxide rather than chemical filters & doesn't irritate my skin or eyes (unlike most other suncreams). La roche posay is also good for sensitive skin.

ThanksForAllTheFish Sat 18-Mar-17 16:21:17

I have sensitive skin also and I burn easily (I'm a redhead).

I personally get in very well with P20 (the original one not the spray on - tried the spray Factor 50 and burnt to a crisp in less than 2 hours) but the issue is the low SPF. Surprisingly I don't burn with P20 even though it's only SPF20, I tend to use it the most as I have the sticky cream feel but I do worry about the damage to my skin with such a low SPF.
For my face I used the boots SPF 50 face suncream and it works well but can make me a little oily and cause spots if I apply too much.

I got a freebie last year of a brand called Ladival and it's also been fine for my skin but only got a chance to use it twice. I think I will be giving it a proper go this year if we get a bout of nice weather.

I'm not sure of the ingredients or indeed what ingredients in cosmetics I react to, I just trial and error until I find something that works. For example simple skin care products break me out in a rash and ultra sun makes me itchy but no rash even though these products should technically be fine for sensitive skin. I do know I have a reaction to aloe vera which makes finding suitable razors or aftersun a pain in the backside. I hope you find something suitable OP.

BagelGoesWalking Sat 18-Mar-17 16:40:21

Piz Buin Allergy sunscreen worked for me and I am prone to reactions from others it was fine with this.

Lush also do Million Dollar Facial Moisturiser which has SPF30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now