Talk

Advanced search

Interview next week, nothing to wear! Help!

(23 Posts)
Okite Thu 16-Mar-17 20:04:45

I've been a SAHM for the last 7 years, and even before that the place I worked had casual dress so I wore jeans and t-shirts to the office.
Applied for a job and have got an interview next week! What do I wear?!

Plan so far is smart black trousers (I never wear skirts if I can help it), colourful blouse (don't think I've ever worn a blouse!) and a blazer-type jacket?
I'm mid-40s, size 16 but most of my weight is on my belly so I have to fine a loose fitting top otherwise I look 6 months pregnant anyway! Tall so have to get longer length trousers.
Shops nearby would be new look, m&co, white stuff, east, possibly a phase eight. I usually order online, I'm not a big fan of real life shopping but may have to brave it!
Any ideas?

Okite Fri 17-Mar-17 07:18:06

Hopeful bump

keepmoving Fri 17-Mar-17 07:33:15

Try M&S for black trousers, they do long length.

keepmoving Fri 17-Mar-17 07:36:51

If you like online shopping usually have you looked at ASOS? How about this jacket? Might be worth having a look through their talk section.

keepmoving Fri 17-Mar-17 07:38:32

Tall section, not talk!!!

Good luck with the interview.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Fri 17-Mar-17 07:39:45

I was going to recommend wallis dresses as I bought one years ago for an interview and it's super easy to wear and still going strong, but then I saw you don't do skirts grin

I don't know where to start with blouses, but I would definitely say to make sure what you buy feels like you. Don't fall into the trap of going with something you think someone else would wear to an interview, you need to feel like you on the day. I live in jeans and t-shirts too, and a bright blouse would feel weird for me. I'd probably go more for a neutral shirt or maybe a tunic top with abbot of edge to it.

I would buy the trousers first, and then take them round with you trying on different tops.

WipsGlitter Fri 17-Mar-17 07:43:51

I've just been on an interview panel. I'd avoid anything too hot as you can get a bit sweaty under pressure.
One person had toothpaste on her jacket and dress, I felt so sorry for her.

We had one trouser suit, two with dress and jacket (very smart), two with trousers with tops and a jacket.

Depending on the job the dresses and jackets looked most polished but one of the trousers and tops got the job!!

LadyLapsang Fri 17-Mar-17 08:09:47

Dress and jacket look professional and you don't come untucked in the middle. Depending on the job, however, you perhaps could wear something more informal. Even though there is legislation to protect pregnant women, I would advise trying to avoid looking pregnant if possible.

Mamia15 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:37:23

Try Matalan - was in there the other day and they ahve very reasonably priced interview type clothes (dresses/trousers/jackets)

Mamia15 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:38:19

(you can order these online to be picked up instore)

Okite Fri 17-Mar-17 18:06:38

Thank you for the suggestions. I really really don't have the body shape for a dress. I'm tall so knee length are mid-thigh, and have a long torso so the waist is always way too high and makes them look empire line. Not good!
Anyway, I've ordered a couple of trouser suits from m&s and tops from a few places so I'll report back when I've got some options!

Okite Wed 29-Mar-17 14:42:47

Just thought I'd update, I wore a dark blue trouser suit from m&s with a colourful floral shell-type top and I got the job! 😁
Now I need a whole load of smart clothes.

NewPantsforaNewYear Thu 30-Mar-17 01:20:16

Congratulations! Sounds very smart. Can you start with a couple of other tops that would go with your suit?
Are the trousers nice enough that you could wear a fine knit jumper with them?

Okite Thu 30-Mar-17 13:17:22

I've got a few tops that I can use I think, and bought a pair of plain black trousers from Sainsburys of all places this week which will also work. But shoes are going to be a nightmare 😭 I live in merrell boots in winter and merrell walking sandals in summer because I have big fat painful feet.
I need a pair of smart, flat, wide fitting, comfortable shoes. And I know they don't exist because I've been searching for them for years!

aSleepyPrincess Thu 30-Mar-17 14:43:08

I am 5'9 and have just bought some tall black boot cut trousers from George at Asda for £6. Not glam but will do the job grin

SpaghettiMeatballs Thu 30-Mar-17 14:51:23

If you need flat shoes these are very comfortable:

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26124381

I usually wear heels for work but occasionally wear these if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking.

Mamia15 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:32:01

Try M&S's wide fit range - cheaper than Clarks and just as comfortable.

Unicorn81 Thu 30-Mar-17 16:00:46

I buy loads of workwear from asda, the shirts and blouses are especially nice and well made

NewPantsforaNewYear Thu 30-Mar-17 18:20:18

Sounds like you need to join the other thread about Brogues, where everyone is recommending Clarks Hamble Oaks

NewPantsforaNewYear Thu 30-Mar-17 18:21:03

Sainsburys do have good workwear. You might be able to pick up other bits from there.

Astro55 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:23:41

Second M&S for widefit shoes

Also look at Mataram for work clothes

And Everything5ponuds online

Astro55 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:24:11

Matalan*

akwan Thu 30-Mar-17 18:28:55

Matalan have some nice stuff in at minute, nice forgiving shirts and tube skirts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now