Talk

Advanced search

Please help me update my Mum uniform!

(14 Posts)
funnyfoursome Thu 16-Mar-17 10:01:27

I have 2 Dc 2.5 and 4.5. I am generally a comfort dresser and I have been living in skinny jeans, old trainers and a couple of stripy tops for the last few years. I feel frumpy and tired!!
I really want to feel more funky again and really don't want to get stuck in a Mumsy rut! I did buy some metallic trainers the other day and I have a leather bomber for going out.
Any ideas?!
I don't have much money to spend on clothes. Can't justify Boden etc I'm petite so tend to find clothes in TopShop and H and M fit me best. The other complication is I have wide feet and bunions so have to be in comfy wide-ish shoes.
I'm 45 but most people think I'm in my 30's and have had a new funky bob haircut at least!!
I'm going shopping tomorrow please help me with some ideas!!!

silkpyjamasallday Thu 16-Mar-17 10:12:46

Hello! I am slowly emerging from my pregnancy style rut, if you are a jeans and tshirt person usually why not just swap the type of top and the shoes? What sort of style do you want to go for? My suggestions not knowing your taste would be: Instead of a Breton maybe get a few shirts/blouses with interesting details - a cool print or a ruffle detail or tie neck perhaps? And maybe some loafers instead of trainers? ASOS have a huge range of wide fit shoes which aren't too pricey, and it's very trend led so I suppose it won't matter too much if they don't last very long. If you like bomber jackets maybe look at a silky or printed one? H&M have an amazing one in a brocade type fabric, I like the juxtaposition of fabrics you wouldn't expect on certain garments.

funnyfoursome Thu 16-Mar-17 10:57:06

Thanks I was thinking of trying more shirts and blouses! And I will look on Asos for shoes smile

burnishedsilver Thu 16-Mar-17 12:00:39

Try other jean shapes. Maybe straight leg or girlfriend.

JessiCake Thu 16-Mar-17 12:11:13

I'm with you on this OP. I have a 4 yo and feel frumpy ALL the time. I used to have quite a glamorous look and it's not at all compatible with pre-school life and the nursery run.

I'm trying to make an effort with tops (I always just stick on a crappy old stripy top too, and it doesn't do much for me) and go for more shirts and better-quality/more interesting tops rather than thin T-shirts.

I'm also trying to shove on a bit of basic makeup and make a bit of effort with accessories - even just shoving on a cuff and a necklace makes me feel a bit better.

Also - a good outer layer - a glam long cardi or a nice blazer/jacket (whatever you suit) could be your friend here...? Trying to get this right myself...

So, tweaks rather than doing anything radical than simply won't work with your current lifestyle...

TearGas Thu 16-Mar-17 12:59:24

How about some cargo skinnies instead of jeans - like green these from H&M?

Your current outfits sound fine by the way! Especially the metallic trainers.

Maybe add some bangles and a new pair of sunglasses.

Also maybe about a pale pink / beige faux suede biker from Primark / New Look?

funnyfoursome Thu 16-Mar-17 13:23:19

Great ideas everyone thank you!

Cherrypie32 Thu 16-Mar-17 15:25:03

Maybe get out of skinnies every day and into 7/8 or 3/4 trousers, there's a lot of chat on here about Gap Bi-stretch which sound good or I bought H&M cigarette pants which are good too. It's getting warm enough to wear these now with your trainers.

funnyfoursome Thu 16-Mar-17 15:54:39

Thanks Cherrypie I think those sound much more flattering! I wonder if I could turn them up as am only 5' 1'' so they are prob the wrong length on me ...

SuperFlyHigh Thu 16-Mar-17 16:36:20

Oasis do really nice comfy (eg stretch) long sleeved tops and vest tops. In a variety of patterns too.

Haven't looked at Top Shop for ages apart from a brief browse the other morning, they do have some nice bits in. The bodysuits probably wouldn't work with kids... But they had some nice other tops/light jumpers etc.

Cherrypie32 Thu 16-Mar-17 21:00:13

Do Gap do petit or short length? I'm not sure. But other than that the stylist who is responding on the thread about the clothes on 'The Replacement' says to get things altered to fit well. You could buy a couple of pairs and then find someone who does alterations in your area. That said I'm only 5'4 and the H&M ones are short enough to flash some ankle on me! Only £12.99 a pair too.

funnyfoursome Thu 16-Mar-17 21:59:47

Anyone been brave enough to try dungarees? Think my hips may be too big post-baby!!

burnishedsilver Thu 16-Mar-17 22:10:26

Yes, gap have a good selection of petite sizes.

silkpyjamasallday Fri 17-Mar-17 14:47:21

I have a pair of indigo denim cutoff dungarees and I LOVE them, I got them in a vintage shop and as they are men's they have so many pockets! Mine are very baggy, I've always liked oversized things. I'd love to try a pair of full length ones in black with a slimmer leg. I know people say they are baby clothes but with a grownup blouse underneath and loafers I reckon it would look more grownup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now