What jeans would you go for if you were me?

(14 Posts)
Sadik Wed 15-Mar-17 22:34:24

I don't wear jeans much, but do like to have a pair to wear from time to time. I've got a pair of skinnies, but they're a bit past it and it seems to me like they're a bit passé now anyway. But I can't really get a feel for what would be the right thing to go for just at this moment.
If it makes a difference, I'm late 40s, short (5' 1") and small built. Day-to-day I mostly wear combats - also quite like cords (needlecord) if I can find the right pair.

Redken24 Wed 15-Mar-17 22:52:34

Bershka - petite legs reasonable price

Sadik Thu 16-Mar-17 08:29:36

Any particular style, Redken? I'm failing to find petite sizes on the site - quite like the look of these maybe but the model is 5' 8" . . .
Maybe slim fit but not skinny is the way forwards?

seefeld Thu 16-Mar-17 08:31:55

How about some straight leg jeans?

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 09:40:50

I'm never quite convinced by straight leg jeans - I look at these say and the model looks great, but somehow I think I'll look like my Mum (who is very stylish, but also 77).
I think what I'd really like to wear are these - but am I just being unrealistic about my age/height . . . Better to go with the safe option of something like this, so just a bit looser than skinnies?
Or - should I give up on jeans and go for cords - say these???

WavingNotDrowning Fri 17-Mar-17 09:49:08

I think you have to go for skinnies really. I can't wear wide legs and I'm 5'9 and a size 10! Straight legs look frumpy on me unless i'm wearing really high heels and even then they look quite dated I think.

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 12:07:02

Skinnies not slim though? I'm just not convinced by them any more.

Maybe I just need to give up on the idea of jeans entirely . . .

WavingNotDrowning Fri 17-Mar-17 12:28:56

well yes but not the skintight spray on ones that the teenagers wear. I am wearing a gap pair today which I think are really flattering (my daughters would think they're positively baggy).

I think straight or slim is really hard to pull off without looking frumpy, particularly if your legs aren't of model type proportions and/or you're not wearing high heals.

Boyfriend jeans nice I think but not particularly flattering.

OhBlissOhJoy Fri 17-Mar-17 12:30:27

These

OhBlissOhJoy Fri 17-Mar-17 12:31:52

Seriously though, I am similar age/height/size and swear by Next Petite jeans.

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 12:32:34

Those are . . . remarkable OhBliss grin

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 12:35:03

I think part of the problem is my 15 y/o won't touch skinny jeans which sort of puts me off. (Though I have no intention of wearing the skinny flares / bootcuts that she looks amazing in.)

WavingNotDrowning Fri 17-Mar-17 12:48:51

my teens just wear topshop Joni jeans or black leggings.

They seem to have gone off Mom jeans recently eek at those ohbliss . No flares in this house on any of us!
My legs are quite short in proportion to my body so I can't wear anything that doesn't lengthen them.

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 13:06:14

I'm kind of the opposite in terms of proportions - short body / longer (relatively) in the leg. Which is a bugger for dresses as the waist never sits right, but at least helpful as a short-arse when buying trousers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now