Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What jeans would you go for if you were me?

(14 Posts)
Sadik Wed 15-Mar-17 22:34:24

I don't wear jeans much, but do like to have a pair to wear from time to time. I've got a pair of skinnies, but they're a bit past it and it seems to me like they're a bit passé now anyway. But I can't really get a feel for what would be the right thing to go for just at this moment.
If it makes a difference, I'm late 40s, short (5' 1") and small built. Day-to-day I mostly wear combats - also quite like cords (needlecord) if I can find the right pair.

Redken24 Wed 15-Mar-17 22:52:34

Bershka - petite legs reasonable price

Sadik Thu 16-Mar-17 08:29:36

Any particular style, Redken? I'm failing to find petite sizes on the site - quite like the look of these maybe but the model is 5' 8" . . .
Maybe slim fit but not skinny is the way forwards?

seefeld Thu 16-Mar-17 08:31:55

How about some straight leg jeans?

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 09:40:50

I'm never quite convinced by straight leg jeans - I look at these say and the model looks great, but somehow I think I'll look like my Mum (who is very stylish, but also 77).
I think what I'd really like to wear are these - but am I just being unrealistic about my age/height . . . Better to go with the safe option of something like this, so just a bit looser than skinnies?
Or - should I give up on jeans and go for cords - say these???

WavingNotDrowning Fri 17-Mar-17 09:49:08

I think you have to go for skinnies really. I can't wear wide legs and I'm 5'9 and a size 10! Straight legs look frumpy on me unless i'm wearing really high heels and even then they look quite dated I think.

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 12:07:02

Skinnies not slim though? I'm just not convinced by them any more.

Maybe I just need to give up on the idea of jeans entirely . . .

WavingNotDrowning Fri 17-Mar-17 12:28:56

well yes but not the skintight spray on ones that the teenagers wear. I am wearing a gap pair today which I think are really flattering (my daughters would think they're positively baggy).

I think straight or slim is really hard to pull off without looking frumpy, particularly if your legs aren't of model type proportions and/or you're not wearing high heals.

Boyfriend jeans nice I think but not particularly flattering.

OhBlissOhJoy Fri 17-Mar-17 12:30:27

These

OhBlissOhJoy Fri 17-Mar-17 12:31:52

Seriously though, I am similar age/height/size and swear by Next Petite jeans.

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 12:32:34

Those are . . . remarkable OhBliss grin

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 12:35:03

I think part of the problem is my 15 y/o won't touch skinny jeans which sort of puts me off. (Though I have no intention of wearing the skinny flares / bootcuts that she looks amazing in.)

WavingNotDrowning Fri 17-Mar-17 12:48:51

my teens just wear topshop Joni jeans or black leggings.

They seem to have gone off Mom jeans recently eek at those ohbliss . No flares in this house on any of us!
My legs are quite short in proportion to my body so I can't wear anything that doesn't lengthen them.

Sadik Fri 17-Mar-17 13:06:14

I'm kind of the opposite in terms of proportions - short body / longer (relatively) in the leg. Which is a bugger for dresses as the waist never sits right, but at least helpful as a short-arse when buying trousers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: