Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask what you think of this coat?

(11 Posts)
JessiCake Wed 15-Mar-17 21:43:06

www.theoutnet.com/en-GB/Shop/Product/Tory-Burch/Cotton-canvas-coat/855454

I've just ordered it from The Outnet to give it a trial at home.

I love the cut - it's absolutely up my street - but I NEVER wear colour. Certainly not yellow. My entire wardrobe is grey and navy with the occasioanl splash of black (!)

But I adore statement coats and am looking for a new spring-weight layer to replace a lovely but worn-out navy splash-proof cotton raincoat.

I'm 40 and tall hence my love of statement coats.

If you've seen any of my recent posts you'll see that I'm on a desperate mission to rediscover my pre-child style mojo and fight the tide of frumpiness (freelancer who works from home with small child)

It's a risky choice but what do we think? I should say it hasn't even arrived yet so I've no idea if it even suits me style-wise (though it's exactly the look I always go for in a coat)

mummabearfoyrbabybears Wed 15-Mar-17 21:47:01

Well I saw your thread, looked at the coat . . . And just bought one too grin whoops! I'm tall too. I think we will both look fab OP!!

elephantoverthehill Wed 15-Mar-17 21:47:01

I think the jeans and the heels make it look good, but the coat alone would not have my vote. Sorry.

Laquila Wed 15-Mar-17 21:47:34

Well...I hate to be practical but it's going to show every mark! The shape, cut and colour I like though. Yellow goes with quite a lot but it's a tricky shade to pull off.

Hassled Wed 15-Mar-17 21:50:11

I love it.

JessiCake Wed 15-Mar-17 21:50:47

mumma ha!!! You must have got the last one... I have a sneaking suspicion the one I ordered will be too big for me actually as American sizes are big but it was the only option that might work...

elephant, I agree actually that the pic with the jeans makes it look good, hard to know if it would look the same with a less fab outfit beneath...

Oh, well, I will try it. It would show every mark, that's certainly true. I was ordering a few other cheaper bits and bobs (T-shirts and some trainers) so I sort of thought I might as well take advantage of the delivery cost and chuck in a wild card...

BounceBounceSplishSplash Wed 15-Mar-17 22:14:16

I like it and think it will go with your wardrobe staples of grey navy and black but it's a hard colour to pull off depending on your skin tone. The colour would look terrible on me unfortunately

AnotheBloodyChinHair Thu 16-Mar-17 06:46:43

The coat is gorgeous even though I'm not keen on the huge pockets.

JessiCake Thu 16-Mar-17 19:49:32

It's arrived... it fits really well... it's gorgeous quality... I'm sorely tempted... but it's pricey, even with the impressive discount... and I have a horrible fear of the yellow making me look like a children's party entertainer (even though actually in good light this afternoon it brightened me up quite nicely)...

Would totally look at its best with a fab outfit beneath (and heels) but would work well with my daily outfits of pulled-on crap too, I think.

It will, as someone else has pointed out, show every mark.

But I sort of love it. I just can't decide if, cost per wear, I can justify it. On the other hand, I may end up never taking it off...

Has yours arrived mummabear...?

BounceBounceSplishSplash Thu 16-Mar-17 20:36:11

I don't think it will show any more dirt than all the beige/camel trench coats that are on trend at the moment and have always been a classic.

I think yours is a classic enough shape that you'll be able to wear it every S/S regardless of the fact that it's yellow. If it makes you happy, I vote keep it smile

JessiCake Thu 16-Mar-17 20:38:24

Thanks Bounce, that's a good point actually.

It's the shape that I really love, and that really suits my own shape. I have a thing for those kind of high collars and have always searched out (and then worn and worn) coats that have them.

I think I may be talking myself into it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now