Am I too old for this dress?

(43 Posts)
ScarlettDarling Tue 14-Mar-17 18:22:18

I'm looking for an outfit for a retirement do and can't find anything!
Love this Ted Baker dress but am scared of being mutton dressed as lamb.

I'm tall (5'11") and slimmish (10/12). Small bust, bit straight up and down actually. What do you think?

ScarlettDarling Tue 14-Mar-17 18:22:33

Oh and I'm 42!!!!!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 14-Mar-17 18:24:48

You sound like you've got the figure for it.
It's quite a sophisticated dress so I don't think you'll look muttony

Euphemia Tue 14-Mar-17 18:25:17

Not at all! Go for it!

UntilTheCowsComeHome Tue 14-Mar-17 18:25:19

Usually I'd say go for it as you are tall and slim and not at all too old at 42!

But there's something about the metal detail on the straps that really cheapens the dress so I'm not sure about it 🤔

Semaphorically Tue 14-Mar-17 18:26:32

If it suits you then go for it. I don't think it's too young, it's a grown up dress.

highinthesky Tue 14-Mar-17 18:28:01

I'm a year older, an inch shorter and a size bigger and I probably wouldn't wear it. That's nothing to do with anything mutton, it's just not my style.

If you like it buy it. I just can't imagine getting that much use out of it as it is very distinctive (a bit like the Liz Hurley paper clip dress)

reuset Tue 14-Mar-17 18:30:41

But there's something about the metal detail on the straps that really cheapens the dress so I'm not sure about it

I don't think 'old' comes into it. I thought similar to the above. It doesn't really even flatter the model particularly.

MinisWin Tue 14-Mar-17 18:36:37

I have last year's version of this dress, and I'm pretty much exactly the same shape as you. I loved it, it was a good fit and got lots of compliments. It is however quite 'flash' so I'd be careful with how you style it, simple hair/make-up/accessories. It does require a pair of killer heels though, block heels/wedges etc look really naff with it. I wore it once with black and metal sandals and once with black suede pointed stiletto courts, both of which worked well. Not that I think it makes much difference, but I'm in my late twenties. Try it and see!

reuset Tue 14-Mar-17 18:39:39

Not that I think it makes much difference, but I'm in my late twenties.

I don't see that making a difference

ScarlettDarling Tue 14-Mar-17 18:58:46

Hmmm, not sure now after the comments about it looking cheap?! Also wondering if it's a bit too glam for the do I'm going to.

Honestly, it wasn't this hard years ago to find outfits for a night out. I've been looking for weeks for something and I'm no further forward sad

Any suggestions for a tall, flat chested 42 year old who doesn't want to look like mutton?!

UntilTheCowsComeHome Tue 14-Mar-17 19:41:32

www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/TIHA-Entangled-Enchantment-bodycon-dress-Dark-Blue/p/134289-DK-BLUE?cmpid=google_PLA_Brand_UK_767112611_4426418_5054786903883&gclid=CJST1P7f1tICFSwq0wod2_wAyQ

Not sure if this link will work, but how about this Ted Baker dress?

ArriettyClock1 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:47:05

It sounds like you have the figure for it!

I really love Ted Baker dresses but prefer the Felicity or Amahlia from this collection. I have tried on the Amahlia and it's gorgeous.

Sixoclocknews Tue 14-Mar-17 19:49:15

I've got a similar summer version of that dress and find it very flattering (and im older than you.)

QueenMortificado Tue 14-Mar-17 19:50:55

I don't think you'd look old and think you'd look fine in the dress but the dress itself isn't that nice. I agree that the metal on the straps looks cheap, and even on the model it isn't very flattering around the stomach.

Ted has soooo many nice dresses that is id pick another in a pencil style if I were you

BackforGood Tue 14-Mar-17 19:59:12

I agree with Untilthecowscomehome and reuset - that buckle does the dress no favours, whatever your age.

GoodDayToYou Tue 14-Mar-17 20:19:04

Before I looked at the link, OP, I was thinking of Trinny Woodall's style and thinking a high neck might be flattering. The dress linked to by Untilthecows looks lovely.

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 14-Mar-17 20:27:27

I don't think you're too old for it - I am a similar age/height/figure and it wouldn't even occur to me that I would be too old to wear it!

However depending exactly on the do I don't think it is quite right for the occasion (straps are a bit 'clubby') - I would say the same whether you were 42, 32 or 22!

Semaphorically Tue 14-Mar-17 21:45:58

Why kind of night out is it? I love this but it depends on what sort of evening you're planning.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Tue 14-Mar-17 21:51:05

Sorry but I agree with others - the metal detail on the dress really cheapens it. Also, regardless of age, it doesn't really seem a 'retirement do' type dress.

ScarlettDarling Tue 14-Mar-17 22:03:08

Thanks all for suggestions and advice. Untilthecows I do like that dress but don't love it and I'd need to love it to spend £160!

Semaphorically that dress is lovely but I just think I'm too old and too tall for that style.

ChristmasEvePJs Tue 14-Mar-17 22:27:45

The Ted Baker Laylia and Wanadee are both stunning.

BusterGonad Wed 15-Mar-17 06:11:41

I love the dress and I think the buckles are what makes the dress so lovely, in no way do I think the buckles cheapen it at all, they are what make it so stylish! It sounds like you've got the figure for it op so I say go for it. I have 2 Ted Baker dresses and the are worth the extra £££ they are heavy and hang nicely. I just love the Dandelion clock/flower on the back of the dress. Beautiful

Semaphorically Wed 15-Mar-17 07:13:39

What about something like this?

Floisme Wed 15-Mar-17 07:37:47

I think they're all nice (I'd have to see the buckles for real) but I've been to a few retirement dos and none of them have been as dressed up as that. They've been fairly smart but more in a taking-mum-out-on-mothers'-day kind of way.

'Mutton dressed as lamb' refers to an old butchering trick. I understand the anxiety but I really wish we wouldn't talk about ourselves like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now