Talk

Advanced search

Loafers - can I wear socks?

(23 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Tue 14-Mar-17 14:43:17

I tend to think it's a bit gross not wearing socks at all, but those sockette things always seem to fall off when I try to wear them (is it just me?). Ankle socks a bit odd? Knee length socks ok under trousers, but a bit Japanese schoolgirl otherwise? Tips from those in the know, pls!!!

BounceBounceSplishSplash Tue 14-Mar-17 16:49:55

Like this? It's not look that I could carry off. You can get sockette things heel grips to stop them slipping which is what I would go for.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Tue 14-Mar-17 17:20:38

These ones with silicone grip are meant to be good

m2.hm.com/m/en_gb/productpage.0160442038.html#Grey

rightknockered Tue 14-Mar-17 17:28:42

Yes

NotdeadyetBOING Tue 14-Mar-17 17:32:47

Ooo - those ones with the silicone heel thing look good….

WhooooAmI24601 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:35:49

M&S do lovely little mini-sock things you can wear with loafers. Actual socks are a no unless you're one of those super-quirky types who just destroy the rules of life with your cuteness. Which I am not.

Fantasticmissfoxy Tue 14-Mar-17 17:36:33

The silicone heel ones are really good - my local TK Maxx usually has a good selection

NotdeadyetBOING Tue 14-Mar-17 17:40:37

Nor am I, sadly, WhoamI…...

Floisme Tue 14-Mar-17 17:53:31

I share this sock anxiety but I do keep wondering how the hell we've got ourselves into a situation where showing them is such a style crime.

At the moment I'm still watching and biding my time. But I have to say, a flash of sock is growing on me, especially if it's a little bit contrasty. And there is nothing cute about me, I assure you.

NotdeadyetBOING Tue 14-Mar-17 18:16:17

I love it. Sock anxiety. It's a real thing…. grin

Floisme Tue 14-Mar-17 18:24:43

It's bonkers. I'm not saying you're bonkers as I feel it too. But why? And how did we get here?
I'm normally all for a bit of silliness in fashion but this is like someone saying buttons should never be seen, or zips.

NotdeadyetBOING Tue 14-Mar-17 18:28:44

I agree. It is bonkers. But yet……

bluebellation Tue 14-Mar-17 18:29:03

But I was reading in the Sunday paper that wacky socks are now in, and we're supposed to wear them with everything, even sandals - which is surely a step too far ?

hecallsmebunny Tue 14-Mar-17 19:33:44

I think it's become ok again. A couple of other Mums I often have style envy of have been flashing some sock recently and it gave me courage to show off my nice socks...oh and DD 4yo has taken to wearing hers pulled well up over her leggings grin so it must be ok!!

BusterGonad Wed 15-Mar-17 06:37:48

Under trousers I go for a knee high sexy cut off tights affair. I also just roll my socks down to half way across my foot so no one can see them! Or pop socks but they annoy me greatly!

WavingNotDrowning Wed 15-Mar-17 06:43:18

en brogue en brogue blog does. Check out her instagram feed - she posts pictures of her shoes every day.

BarchesterFlowers Wed 15-Mar-17 06:44:46

I don't profess to be stylish but I have got lots of loafers and yes I wear socks otherwise I would freeze half the year.

Navy trouser socks with navy loafters, black with black, etc, etc. A bit trickier with burgundy or tan smile but I manage!

BarchesterFlowers Wed 15-Mar-17 06:52:19

Must add that I find the cotton liner socks best. I usually stock up when I go to Italy, not sure what brand they are but they have a knitted double rib round the whole opening where your foot goes in and stay put.

The falke ones at JL look similar.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Thu 16-Mar-17 18:09:11

Audrey Hepburn made it work smile

NotdeadyetBOING Fri 17-Mar-17 10:24:34

Fabulous photo of Audrey. Given that she is THE style icon of all time I think I need to just be out and proud…… grin

BarchesterFlowers Fri 17-Mar-17 10:26:26

Oh yes not, I always knew I was channelling my inner ..... someone grin

MaybeDoctor Fri 17-Mar-17 10:30:16

It is madness. No one would tell men that they can't wear socks with a loafer - deck shoes maybe.

I think trainer socks are the way to go. Then again, I wear proper socks with converse so clearly there is no helping me ;).

Have comfy feet!

Tisgrand Fri 17-Mar-17 13:36:05

I've discovered that my ankles don't actually feel the cold that much, so I just put some odour-eating insoles into loafers/trainers now - I don't have particularly smelly feet but it seems a bit more hygienic - and put lots of moisturiser on my feet to stop any rubbing. I've a drawer full of those mini socks, trainer liners etc. and I've never found any that actually, are comfy and look ok.

I love Audrey Hepburn but even she doesn't carry off the socks with shoes look imho!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now