Talk

Advanced search

The Great British Bag Hunt

(17 Posts)
GhostlyAbode Tue 14-Mar-17 11:05:27

So I got a promotion at work and so am going to treat myself to a new bag! Please help me!

My requirements are that it needs to somehow have a shoulder strap. I am rather large and an elbow hanging bag makes me look like a giant tea pot! But hand held in the majority is ok. It must be able to fit an A4 note book in. And I do like pockets and things. My 'home' handbag is my beloved Anya Hindmarch Vere Satchel. My budget is £1000 but could go a little higher. (I will ignore all the £1000 on a bag is so wrong posts).

I looked at the Mulberry Double Zip Bayswater in Oxblood and liked it but didnot love it.

All suggestions welcome.

MinesaPinot Tue 14-Mar-17 19:02:20

Certainly less than your budget but have you considered Kate Spade? I've got two; one is my work bag which I bought in the Bicester outlet store. It's a tote style with a large pocket on the outside. The other is a small hobo style which converts to cross-body by adding the long strap. Both are really nice leather and always get comments. Something a bit different from the norm. Alternatively there is an English company called Tusting who do some nice bags, although not sure of the shoulder strap addition. I also like Coach and Coccinelle.

And if you've got £1000+ to spend on a bag, go out, do it and enjoy it and ignore the naysayers - I would!

ImYourMama Tue 14-Mar-17 19:08:44

The new style Bayswater is lighter than the classic range but the hardware is cheaper looking. The classic range is still available in outlets and you could get a nice Bayswater for £700? And then the matching purse ;)

Scoose Tue 14-Mar-17 19:14:58

Ooh I like the new Bayswater it has a strap so would fit your requirements this

Scoose Tue 14-Mar-17 19:18:56

Like this balenciaga too this

Lou256 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:19:43

Hi,

I did the rounds of the big bags shops in London last week.

After lots of consideration I bought the Chloe Milo tote.

It's beautiful, practical and will age well I think. Quite classic for Chloe.

It doesn't have a long strap but fits well and is comfortable worn on my shoulder, rather than going for the 'tea pot vibe' ( loving that!)

Enjoy shopping there are some gorgeous bags around at the moment.

GhostlyAbode Tue 14-Mar-17 19:35:10

Thanks everyone. Will google tommorow as have a long boring meeting! And then off to London for a try on.

I have a Kate Spade that I do use as it's got a fab bright orange inside! But my one isn't very secure. So will check out.

I do like the Bayswater's old and new but am not totally convinced.

geordiedench Tue 14-Mar-17 22:54:48

I like the Aspinall Editor's tote but it doesn't have shoulder straps and not everyone likes croc. But it's secure and has lots of pockets, roomy without looking bulky

allfurcoatnoknickers Tue 14-Mar-17 23:09:51

I covet a Jerome Dreyfuss Maurice or Emile. I think both of those would fit you bill? They're both around 1000 GBP.

Alternatively, have a look at Smythson, I have a couple of their bags and they wear very well. I've even had people stop me in the street to ask where they're from.

bignamechangeroonie Tue 14-Mar-17 23:20:40

What about the Anya Ebury bag? Think it's £1100

A picture from eBay to show you the shape

GhostlyAbode Wed 15-Mar-17 10:05:18

All lovely bags.

The Dreffuss are fab but to casual for my work. I have put one on my bags for the weekend want list!!!!

I have issues with Aspinal as I had a bag drama with them! Lovely bags, for me horrid customer service!

This morning I tried a few bags including the Bayswater double zip. Have decided tote style worries me for security and rain. Loved the double zip Bayswater and the oxblood is divine but lap top only just fits.

So the search continues.

QueenofallIsee Wed 15-Mar-17 10:17:42

I have just bought 2 Karl Lagefeld totes which i adore, and are only around the £300 mark! More for casual but I have a Choupette one which is cute as a button

Have you seen the Mansur Gavriel totes - so beautiful and buttery soft

geordiedench Wed 15-Mar-17 13:44:09

That's worth knowing OP. I've always coveted an Aspinall bag.

GhostlyAbode Wed 15-Mar-17 15:13:24

Geordie they also downgraded their linings to a fake silk from a lovely suede leather. This may have only been on purses and things but still stopped me replacing my loved wallet.

GhostlyAbode Thu 16-Mar-17 15:37:26

So went to Smythson today. Lovely bags especially the Grosvenor but sadly I looked like a large Waiting in lady!

Have decided the bag needs to tuck under my armpit to stop extra width being added. Currently I have a le pilage large shopper for stuff and then a small Mulberry cross over with my phone purse etc in it. But want to go to one bag.

The search comtinues!

Piffpaffpoff Thu 16-Mar-17 15:44:15

What about this. I have a couple of their bags, a large slouchy leather shoulder tote and a fabulous saddlebag - they are made just up the road from me, which I love!

PsychoSyd Fri 17-Mar-17 09:25:37

Try looking at this website and seeing if anything catches your eye

htleather.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now