Antiperspirant recommendations for a sweaty Betty with allergies...

(8 Posts)
MiriAmmerman Tue 14-Mar-17 08:30:57

I'm hoping you can all help me! I have pretty sensitive skin all over - I can only use Simple shampoo and conditioner, or baby shampoo, otherwise I get a rash on my head, and the only things I can moisturise my (dry, tingly) body with are Aveeno, E45, or aqueous cream. I also suffer with keratosis pilaris on my arms.

Deodorant has always been a problem - over the years I have narrowed the field down to stuff I don't react to, which was Simple, Dove, and Sanex roll ons. That was fine, except all of a sudden my armpits have gone insane and itch like mad if I use Simple or Dove as well. So now I'm left with Sanex Atopicare, which I don't react to but also isn't as effective as I would like (I can smell myself by the end of the day, and I feel damp).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm definitely allergic to fragrances, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm allergic to aluminium too. What the hell am I going to do?! I'm a very sweaty person, so going without isn't an option, and I need something that will actually keep me dry and BO free. If any of you know if any gentle but effective products I will love you forever.

TIA grin

dcrxcm Tue 14-Mar-17 08:46:36

My partner has a similar issue with a myriad of skin troubles - we both use mitchum stick (I'm also prone to an armpit breakout...). It comes in unscented and a couple of different scents. They don't make him breakout, even when he uses the scented one. We've tried the more expensive Mitchum varieties but they don't really make much difference. You could also try perspirex (I use this in the summer before bed to try and reduce sweat volume!) but it can make me itchy so I suspect it might be too strong for you. Maybe worth a try smile

Notreallyhappy Tue 14-Mar-17 09:26:40

Dove invisible dry in the compact doesn't affect or itch but the big can does.

MiriAmmerman Tue 14-Mar-17 09:40:41

That's really interesting - thanks both. Will definitely give Mitchum a go; I've been googling and lots of people reckon it doesn't cause reactions, despite its strength.
I've looked at lots of natural organic etc stuff online but it's all just deodorant rather than antiperspirant and I just don't think that will cope with my mega sweats!

Lunde Tue 14-Mar-17 09:49:22

I have very sensitive skin and I found that the Mitchum made me itchy

The best I have found recently is the Boots own brand perfume free 48 hour spray

BearFoxBear Tue 14-Mar-17 13:15:30

I've just started using the charcoal powder from lush and it's amazing - it's kept me dry through the gym and overnight. Nice lavender scent too.

Itsnothingoriginal Tue 14-Mar-17 20:00:20

Mitchum made me itch too and I didn't find it very effective either - must be really sweaty blush I'm currently using men's Sure deodorant which works and doesn't seem to itch but I smell like a men's changing room so would love to find an alternative!

Charcoal powder sounds interesting!

Juveniledelinquent Tue 14-Mar-17 20:01:45

I can't help but can sympathise, as I can only use Sanex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now