Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear on holiday in a warm country?

(15 Posts)
Leavemealonepls Tue 14-Mar-17 05:25:48

We're going on holiday over easter and I need to buy some summer clothes.

I just dont know what to get. We're only going for a week to Spain. Hoping it'll be in the low twenties and not too much rain.

I'm feeling quite happy in my jeans and long baggy jumpers .. can't get into the frame of mind for summer clothes!

What would you take?

Where do you shop for such things if you're in your fifties and size 16? I tend to hide behind baggy clothes because I've no waist to speak of and a tummy bulge blush

I've got a knee length black linen skirt I like and a shorter denim skirt, button up. I've barely any tops I like though. In winter I often wear long line very stretchy vests in black or navy under a long cardigan. I love dresses but again always wear a cardigan over.

I'll take my birkenstocks (gold) as I almost live in them (they help with my plantar fasciitis ).

I'll travel in jeans, top and raincoat with trainers just in case I need them, as they'll take up too much room in my case.

Any other tips on what to take? We're self catering.

Thanks.

hellokittymania Tue 14-Mar-17 05:43:36

I had to chuckle when I read this as I work in a country where 35-40 C is normal . When the UK is having a heatwave people where I work are wearing gloves ! grin

Anyway have you thought about capris or leggings and a loosefitting top ? Maybe cotton so you won't overheat .

Leavemealonepls Tue 14-Mar-17 05:47:17

I have some three quarter length leggings .. I don't like my legs in capris .. they seem to look like tree trunks.

Any ideas for loose fitting tops that suit large boobs?

Sorry .. at the moment considering ourselves lucky when it's 14 degrees and dry!

ThisIsNotARealAvo Tue 14-Mar-17 05:48:43

I am a similar body shape to you and in summer I often wear those trousers that are a bit like pj bottoms. They are super comfy and you can put a t shirt and cardi with them and they would look good with birkenstocks.

happystory Tue 14-Mar-17 06:30:32

Stretchy skirts from H and M are very forgiving. Look nice with flat sandals. Instead of a tight t shirt I try to find pretty sleeveless cotton tops, in white so they go with everything! Primark often have them but not sure about yet.

murphys Tue 14-Mar-17 11:04:48

I live in a hot country so I will just go with what an every day type of outfit would be here... I cant help you with wear to shop though.

What about some lightweight skirts, 3/4 trousers, and those cotton sloppy trousers (I am sure they have a better name than that) worn with t-shirts, vest tops, or even your jeans with a flowy type of top. Worn with sandals.
Do you like dresses? I only wear long maxi dresses as I don't show off my awful legs, I know everyone doesn't like maxis, but its what I wear mostly. But there were so many cotton flowy type dresses around this summer, that are perfect holiday wear.

Enjoy your break.

Don't forget if you wear a new white top, that sunscreen stains.....

I have many a white top with yellow stains that do not budge

ChocolateSherberts2017 Tue 14-Mar-17 11:19:21

www.johnlewis.com/our-services/fashion-advice-service?

Book a free stylist session with John Lewis to get ideas on which styles & colours suit you. You aren't under any obligation to buy so that's a bonus.

I'd personally go for plenty of cotton layers, linen and a lightweight jacket or shawl. When we went at Easter it was between 26-30 so I wore lots of floaty skirts, dresses and tops. Keep as much flesh covered as possible so you don't burn and get hot and flustered.

Roystonv Tue 14-Mar-17 11:19:54

Aged 57 and a bit bigger than you! I have linen trousers full length or 3/4 in black, navy and white and then when I see any reduced/ good value loose, pure cotton shirts/blouses/tunics with some sleeve and a pattern that have some of the trouser colour in I grab them. Have now built up a lovely selection. I don't wear dresses/skimpy tops cos of skin problems and besides think it is more elegant to not have all on show

Leavemealonepls Tue 14-Mar-17 12:42:58

Thanks. I'll have a look in Primark .. last week they didn't have much in but hopefully that will change soon.

I've never worn a maxi dress! I'll try one on somewhere ...

I dont really like blouses but will look for some loose tunic tops . I don't mind showing my arms or my legs tbh .. they're not bad really.

I don't think I'll be able to get to John Lewis. . We have a Debenhams nearby so I might ask there, but they don't have a huge choice.

I have a couple of H&M jersey skirts in grey and black.

NatureAbhorsAHoover Tue 14-Mar-17 13:05:17

I often have to pull together a hot-country wardrobe out of season, and have a box of things that I would almost never wear here in the UK, but are perfect for v hot places. I wear more sleeveless and vest tops, and short shorts then I would tend to do here at home. Often find good summer things at Esprit, even though I don't tend to buy any of my UK wardrobe there.... Things like this are in the shop now and would be v comfy:
http://m.esprit.co.uk/womenswear/dresses/casual-sundresses/shirt-dress-in-100-linen-037ET1E008_015?referrer=default]]

Iamastonished Tue 14-Mar-17 13:06:53

I have been in Southern Spain at Easter and it was warm rather than hot, so you need clothes that you can layer. The evenings won't be very warm either.

Aderyn2016 Tue 14-Mar-17 13:15:21

I could have written this post. Am a 16 too and about to go on holiday. Have just bought some nice casual shirts from next and a linen shift dress. Will be taking leggings and fitflops and nice sandals.

RedSandYellowSand Tue 14-Mar-17 14:28:12

If you like jeans, vest top and cardi, what about cotton /linen trousers, vest top, and an unbuttoned blouse or shirt? With sandals rather than winter clothes?

It's reaching 30 here now. I've just retired the jeans, and am now in Next Linen trousers, and a tee-shirt, with teva sandals, 'cause i can walk miles in them.
Personally, i don't like skirts and dresses, as my thighs rub (and wearing leggings defeats the point of staying cool!) But lots of people now wearing knee length skirts and tee-shirts.

Enjoy your holiday

Doobigetta Tue 14-Mar-17 18:36:15

I find low 20s quite a difficult temperature to dress comfortably in. For me, it isn't quite warm enough for dresses/bare legs, so I'd probably go with jeans (cropped boyfriend cut rather than skinny, which could be too warm) and sleeveless tops with converse.

QueenofLouisiana Tue 14-Mar-17 21:29:33

Focus on it all matching so you can pull together outfits with several layers if needed. I have sorted a holiday capsule style wardrobe which works quite well. Mine is based on holidays in the Canaries in December-so 24/25degrees most days. Main colours are navy, grey and white/cream. Red accents.
Linen trousers; knee length shorts.
Long, tube skirt; floaty long skirt.
T-shirt dress for beach; fit and flare roll up dress; lacy dress for dinner out.
Vest tops; couple of floaty short sleeved tops; cotton cardigan
Bikini bottoms with bra and tankini top.
Fit flops, superga (to fly in), flip flops, pretty sandals.
I have a hoodie and jeggings to fly in, a scarf for cover up/ plane blanket/ chilly nights. It all packs into hand luggage for a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now