Talk

Advanced search

Curly hair

(12 Posts)
user1487854472 Mon 13-Mar-17 20:55:48

I have naturally very curly hair, and i was wondering if anyone has any tips for maintaining curls overnight? If I don't wash my hair in the morning then I have to have my hair tied back, which I don't really like. But I can't wash my hair in the morning very often due to a very demanding 9 month old baby.

I would love it if I could wash my hair at night, style as usual and then still be able to have my curls down come the next morning. Any ideas on how to 'protect' my curls whilst in bed?

rachllsn3 Tue 14-Mar-17 23:03:32

Google "pineapple hair overnight". It's a way of piling your hair on top of your head to protect your curls. HTH.

RaspberryBeret34 Tue 14-Mar-17 23:09:39

Yep, I pineapple overnight. Either using a silk scrunchie or an invisibobble.

I could never have second day hair until I started the curly girl method though. You basically you do a final wash with silicone free shampoo then just wash with silicone free conditioner - no shampoo - and use silicone free styling products. There's a curly girl group on Facebook. Now I can wear my hair down for 3/4 days without washing.

enchantmentandlove Tue 14-Mar-17 23:17:26

^^ I totally agree with the above posts!

Also - I fill a small bottle with water and a little conditioner, then spritz it onto any particularly 'unruly' curls or frizz in the morning and re-style. It only takes a minute or so. I also found once I started co-washing my hair became so much healthier.

Lots of people also recommend using a silk pillowcase, but I don't like the feeling of it and much prefer cotton. I also never go to bed with my hair wet as it always looks a mess the next day!

Mumneedstea Wed 15-Mar-17 04:15:17

Marking my place as I have the same issue.. I tried the curly girl method but didn't see it through and now I have gone back to straightening my hair sad

I use the bodyshop rainforest moisture range shampoo and conditioners. And the boots curl creme.

enchantment what do you mean by co-washing?
Thanks!

Mumneedstea Wed 15-Mar-17 04:15:47

OP sorry for hijacking your thread!

highinthesky Wed 15-Mar-17 04:26:19

My hair is wavy rather than curly. I find that if I Big Brush it the style stays in for a couple of days. Day 3 gets the dry shampoo treatment.

Silicone free shampoos - save me a Google search please and name some?

RaspberryBeret34 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:37:08

mumneeds there's a FB group called Curly Crew that use low-poo or gentle shampoo if you feel you need shampoo of some sort. I think the Bodyshop Rainforest one is a gentle one anyway. Co-washing is conditioner washing.

highinthesky - Johnson's baby shampoo or fairy liquid are often recommended for a last wash as they are silicone-free and people often have them in - no point buying something new just for one wash.

highinthesky Wed 15-Mar-17 13:15:25

^^ Thanks, baby shampoo it is. I would imagine Fairy Liquid would strip me hair of its oil and I'll end up with a total frizz - attractive!!!

silkpyjamasallday Thu 16-Mar-17 10:44:03

I have curls and the best thing I have found is a silke hair turban (also helps as I cosleep with dd and my hair is her current favourite toy!) I find tying it up in any way shape or form stops me sleeping and pulls the curls straight from my scalp to the point of the bobble, and then when I take it down my hair is straight until ear level then goes curly and I look like a King Charles spaniel with a smooth head and curly ears! The turban stops this totally and stops the hair getting matted on the pillow and flattening out/creating weird kinks. I love it, and definitely worth the cost, I recommend them to everyone!

printmeanicephoto Thu 16-Mar-17 11:15:43

Newbie to curly girl method here - just started with non-foaming, silicone-free, paraben free shampoo / conditioner and co-washing. I've been alternating the two.

Another here for Body Shop Rainforest Moisture shampoo + conditioner. I'm co-washing every other wash with Palmers Olive Oil Co-wash. Next I'll look into the Shea Moisture range in Boots. I'm also spritzing curls morning and night with water and coconut oil mix. Have done an overnight masque too.

Before I started the method I think i should have used a clarifying shampoo first to strip away all the silicones I'd been using etc.

Two weeks in and my hair looks LOADS better - lots of nice comments from people. The horrible product build-up on my scalp, which used to cause it to flake and itch is gone now. Curls are less frizzy and more defined. I'm actually much curlier than I thought I was Iygwim!

Next on my agenda is a silk/satin pillowcase or turban.

wendylondongb Mon 17-Apr-17 16:42:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now