Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Practical but stylish.... backpack? Does such a thing exist?

(10 Posts)
shovetheholly Mon 13-Mar-17 15:53:14

I walk 3 miles to work and I often walk 3 miles back as well. I carry: a small, light laptop and charger, glasses, at least one book, a purse, makeup bag, phone, and an umbrella (if rainy). It's fairly heavy -too much to be managed in an overarm bag or messenger bag.

I need a reasonably heavy duty backpack with different pockets I can put all this crap into! It needs to be light and able to cope with a fairly itinerant daily schedule too. I would ideally like something that looks reasonably professional, i.e. thatdoesn't look like I'm about to embark on a Duke of Edinburgh-style adventure. smile

I currently have a Fjallraven Kanken, but it's just too small and having everything in one pocket is making it annoyingly hard to find things.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 13-Mar-17 16:18:02

I have a fjallraven as well but it has a front pocket and sides as well as the main bit. (Although to be honest I keep all my bits and pieces in pouches anyway)

Pistachiois50pmore Mon 13-Mar-17 16:22:41

What's your budget? I like the Sandqvist ones but they start at about £100. Nice though.

www.sandqvist.net/shop#page=2

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Mon 13-Mar-17 16:50:34

My DH bought me a sandqvist in the sale. It's lovely. I've been using it as a changing bag on maternity leave but I'm going to use it when I go back to work next month

shovetheholly Mon 13-Mar-17 17:12:05

I really like the Sandqvist ones in design terms, and that's fine for budget! Do they have inner pockets to subdivide things? Part of the problem at the moment is that everything in the Fjallraven is in one big central compartment.

Also, I should have said this in my initial post - it needs to be wipeable. I'm frequently forced to put it on the floor. It also needs to be absolutely watertight - it rains a LOT here.

Floisme Mon 13-Mar-17 17:17:29

I'm looking for one too. Years of massive totes and messenger bags have wrecked my back and shoulders so I'm after a reasonably sized back pack but preferably leather rather than nylon.

So far the ones I like have all been in menswear and I'm eyeing up these in John Lewis. I've not seen any of them for real and they may be too big:

I like this but it looks like only one compartment.
this has an internal pocket not sure about colour.
same with this

All expensive but I'm in it for the long haul and want something that's tough enough to use every day but still looks smart.

starsinyourpies Tue 14-Mar-17 05:27:14

These are very good, designed for laptop with pocket dividers too.

Knomo Beauchamp Backpack for 14-Inch Laptop - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LXT3RZC/ref=cmsww_rcpp_api_973XybAMCW512

starsinyourpies Tue 14-Mar-17 05:27:47

Beauchamp Backpack for 14-Inch Laptop - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LXT3RZC/ref=cmswrcpapi_973XybAMCW512

starsinyourpies Tue 14-Mar-17 05:30:03

Sorry struggling with the link! Anyway the brand is Knomo and they do various ones but Beauchamp is a good rucksack bag.

https://www.knomobags.com/uk/beauchamp-14-backpack-black.html

Sparklyuggs Tue 14-Mar-17 05:42:46

I had this and ended up going for a Tiba + Marl backpack after admiring a friend's one. Technically it's a changing bag, but if you don't carry the foldable changing mat I don't see how you'd tell, and it's very durable. I use mine for daily commute and weekly flight and it's brilliant, worth every penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now