Talk

Advanced search

Style advice for a tired working mum

(23 Posts)
Mummy19802b Mon 13-Mar-17 07:55:40

Hi All

I am sure this has been done to death, but i really need a sort out...

Im 37...5'5, size 16..so bit overweight...but i seem to be stuck in the jeans and t shirt rut...i work part time where i feel scruffy..mainly because although I look clean..presentable..i feel messy..mumsy...bit thrown together.

I never really look smart..luckily im allowed to wear jeans etc as money is tight so i cant buy loads of expensive bits.

I have 2 small boys ...who are at school..but i feel so tired by time my working week is done..i just want to sleep.

I need tips on anything and everything really..i just seem to have lost the way a bit ...how to look pretty...i just look knackered tbh!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Mar-17 09:06:50

A top and jeans is a good uniform for a busy mum. To look nice, make sure your hair and make up are done. Add a nice bag, cute shoes and accessories - sorted. You could also look at some lifestyle changes- improving your diet and taking some excercise - that would make you healthier and help with your energy levels.

burnishedsilver Mon 13-Mar-17 09:13:58

Have you had bloods done recently? Perhaps you're low on iron or b12. That would certainly make you feel like sleeping all weekend.

Mummy19802b Mon 13-Mar-17 09:31:23

Thankyou JoJoSm2, yes looking at those pictures actually confirmed to me maybe I just need diff tops ..some new ones...as opposed to my old t shirts.

I have been recently taking a multivitamin...i dont drive so litetally walk everywhere and because i skip meals due to my hubby doing the 5.2 so i dont bother myself..then when i do eat im snacking on coffee and nibbles..to keep me going..my diet is out of whack..i used to be so good..but due to a few things over years... i guess ive given up on taking care of myself and im now the result... thanks for your suggestions..i will have a good look around x

Mummy19802b Mon 13-Mar-17 09:32:48

Yes i think you are right burnishedsilver...im taking a multivitamin...my boys wake at silly oclock 5am...4.50am etc..so im shattered ...x

Yodasgrandma Mon 13-Mar-17 09:39:59

I'm the same age as you and also recently felt I had the same knackered look!!
I started from the top, got a decent hair cut with a fresh colour and bought a babylis big hair which took some getting used to but now makes me look like I've got a proper hairstyle!
I also updated my make up bag as most of my stuff predated the kids. For me bourgois healthy glow foundation (I have the gel for less formal days and the other one for when I want to be more made up), collection 2000 long lasting concealer under eyes, and a new blusher (I found the sleek ones fab) have made a big difference. Add in a bronzer and a nice new eye shadow palette and you're winning (I bought the naked palette by urban decay and think I could ditch all other eye shadows now but sleek have much cheaper alternatives).
This lot has made a big difference to me. I'm still working on the clothes so will let others help on that score.

Mummy19802b Mon 13-Mar-17 10:00:25

Thankyou Yodasgrandma,

I will def try the healthymix suggestion as that has been on my radar for sometime...I have heard good reviews.

I agree with you re blusher..i need a new one...i have a clarins bronzer from last year but im not sure if the colour is too yellow..orange..i think i need a pinky tone as quite pale/blonde...i will have a look at sleek too.

Thankyou for the hair suggestion also as im trying to grow mine and it could do with something x

Yodasgrandma Mon 13-Mar-17 10:18:45

With the blusher.. I initially bought the sleek rose gold one after good recs on here but it wasn't quite the right tone for me (similar colouring to you) and was a bit too orangey toned which seemed to make my eye bags look darker. I went back and bought the pink lemonade trio, one of which is perfect for me.

Gotbills2pay Mon 13-Mar-17 11:19:19

I work full time - with two young Dcs (one is at school and one at nursery). I find planning my outfits every Sunday helps. I wear a lot of dresses - very easy to wear. I've not yet got the hand of styling my hair every day, but having highlights makes my fine hair much easier to style (just not bleached ones).

Mummy19802b Mon 13-Mar-17 12:42:14

Good idea ref planning on a sunday and wearing dresses for a change...i need to get some new bits so i will bear that in mind. Thanks gotbillstopay x

queencerulean Mon 13-Mar-17 13:24:30

I wear jeans to work some days too but always wear a blouse/smart top instead of a tee or jumper as I feel smarter that way. Oasis have some lovely tops in at the moment. And I plan in my head the night before what I'll wear so I'm not rushing in the morning.

Make up wise, blusher, mascara and lipstick are what make me look human again.

I say this kindly but have you tried to tackle the dc sleep? If they're at school they must be knackered too if they're up so early. Everything is so much better after a good nights sleep smile

Gotbills2pay Mon 13-Mar-17 19:43:35

I also (cough) go to the gym at lunchtime - my work has a deal and the gym is right next to our office. When I worked from home I did the Gillian Michaels 30 minute shred and yoga DVDs. Exercise helps me feel on top of things - my DCs also not great sleepers but they are getting there...

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 13-Mar-17 19:59:10

I'm not a mum, but I am tired and working/v stressed! My top tip is to organise absolutely everything for the next day in advance. I pick out my outfit the night before right down to underwear and jewellery, and then hang it in the bathroom so I don't have to think about it when I get out of the shower. I also cleanse, tone etc pretty much immediately I get in from work, otherwise I'd go to bed in my makeup!

AngelicCurls Mon 13-Mar-17 20:56:47

I agree about wearing smarter tops/blouse rather than a plain tshirt, I've started doing that recently and feel far less scruffy.

ChocolateSherberts2017 Tue 14-Mar-17 01:27:46

Try swapping your usual casual day wear for smarter versions of the same items so the changes don't overwhelm you. Dark jeans and button down shirts/blouses plus a jacket instantly look smarter. Also, wear shoes instead of trainers and have formal accessories.

RiverdaleJughead Tue 14-Mar-17 01:38:01

Gap .. the slithers are super soft and easy but look quality .

RiverdaleJughead Tue 14-Mar-17 01:38:13

Clothes not slithers lol

RiverdaleJughead Tue 14-Mar-17 01:39:19

Also multivitamins aren't able to be absorbed well by the body and especially if you aren't eating a good diet which enables the body to process the vitamins ... it's just expensive wee

ChocolateSherberts2017 Tue 14-Mar-17 01:43:18

tee/028704.html?cgid=basics&dwvar_028704_color=50&position=23#page=2&start=23&categoryID=basics

This top from warehouse looks smart for work & is similar to the t shirts that you wear.

NightWanderer Tue 14-Mar-17 01:45:34

I feel we're quite similar. I go to bed at 10pm, which helps a lot and I don't buy in a lot of biscuits because I also tend to just graze and snack all day. You're walking loads so don't need more exercise but you just need to make that effort to eat proper balanced meals. One thing I do is when I'm starting to snack, I have a big bowl of all bean cereal with fruit and it fills me up and stops me snacking. Drink plenty of water too.

Mummy19802b Tue 14-Mar-17 08:01:23

Thankyou so much for everyones suggestions...I am off work tommorow so I am going to write down all of your ideas and give some a go...I am planning to start Sw Soon as i would like to lose a good stone or more...to feel more comfy in myself...but first I will keep up the walking and try and be better with my snacking...thats def not helping.

As for my style..again I think i need to plan a day out at the shops just looking for ideas...I will def see if i can find smarter versions..The silly thing is I have some nice accessories...like a mulberry and LV bag but they stay boxed again...i stick to a plain black bag i brought from spain haha think it cost me £11! But i love it...So i do have some nice bits .just rubbish at using them as they feel impractical.

Anyway thankyou so much x

0dfod Tue 14-Mar-17 09:50:37

Hi Op, it is so easy to get into a health and style rut isn't it?

Some really good suggestions have been put to you by others here. Planning what to wear the night before, eating more healthily (veg and fruit cut up in a tub may possibly help?), exercise etc. Drinking water and keeping hydrated may help you feel more alert and do your skin wonders.

With regards to clothing, if you can not spend much on clothes eBay may be a good place to go? I often find a good bargain on eBay and in charity shops too

ChocolateSherberts2017 Tue 14-Mar-17 11:07:28

Book a free stylist session with John Lewis, they'll talk you through colours & styles that suit you. There is no obligation to buy and you can then take away ideas for future shopping trips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now