HELP ME! important wedding. Struggling to work out what suits me.

(27 Posts)
Shurleyshummishtake Sun 12-Mar-17 16:48:36

So my sister is getting married and I'm doing a reading and really want to look and feel amazing.

I've always struggled with a style
I like modern clean lines (wear Zara or top shop for work for example) but find myself slipping towards wearing stuff that is more comfy less stylish and I am not one of those that throws stuff on and looks great

I do not have a figure that dresses up well but here is the best description I can think of
Size ten
Athletic build with small boobs and no waist.
I have long legs but with a thigh. Pelvis is wide altho not sandbag hips iyswim.
Skinny collar bone area. Upper arms muscles but some age related skin sag so not keen to go bare armed.
I have abs but bloat a lot as have some health issues so always have a massive gut even tho it isn't fat.
Have recently worked out tucking in helps as if I wear empire or loose tops I look heavily pregnant.

I love trouser suits (the all in one types) and rarely wear skirts as they never fit my waist.
Some dresss for occasions for never day to day.

I don't mind spending some cash but only if it makes me feel AMAZING

I have drawn a blank in all the high street and department stores and I think on line might be easier but trawl asos and have no idea what would suit my odd shape

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

manandbeast Sun 12-Mar-17 18:30:51

This tux :

www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=7229041

manandbeast Sun 12-Mar-17 18:32:15

Would your sister be ok with you wearing a white tux?

www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=7601934

iwanttobemissmarple Sun 12-Mar-17 18:35:39

Try a personal stylist- most department stores have one. I've used Fenwicks & John Lewis can't remember if I paid for Fenwicks one but John Lewis was free.

Astro55 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:36:06

www.littleblackdress.co.uk/occasion/wedding-guest-dresses/paper-dolls-rose-pleat-kimono-dress

Would really suit you

Astro55 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:40:29

www.littleblackdress.co.uk/occasion/wedding-guest-dresses/paper-dolls-bardot-crochet-lace-dress-in-cream

I like this one!

Jmangel Sun 12-Mar-17 18:42:02

That dress is gorgeous.

Shurleyshummishtake Sun 12-Mar-17 22:39:38

Replies thank you!

I couldn't wear those tight fitting dresses
I wouldn't eat anything all day! Honestly my belly sticks right out and on a slim frame it looks ridiculous.
But thanks for the suggestions

The first tux is a bit young for me as I'm mid 40s and second might make me look square?

JoJoSM2 Sun 12-Mar-17 23:06:48

I think the sort of fees Trinny is wearing might be ok. Your arms are nice, bust would look bigger with the extra fabric, the waist accentuated but with any bloating concealed.

JoJoSM2 Sun 12-Mar-17 23:07:01

*dress

JoJoSM2 Sun 12-Mar-17 23:15:04

Sorry, just re-read the arm bit. You could wear a jacket over.

Lochan Mon 13-Mar-17 03:18:10

What about a wrap (or faux wrap) dress? Would give you arm coverage, and a waist.

Phase eight and Baukjen usually have a few:

www.baukjen.com/uk/m/shop/baukjen/dresses/occasion-dresses/darton-dress-violet-blue.htm

www.phase-eight.com/eu/fcp/product/phase-eight//perdita-wrap-dress/203972351

Shurleyshummishtake Mon 13-Mar-17 13:49:06

I have read wrap drrsses advised before for some shapes but they sure don't suit me.
Think it is the lack of boobs?
They just highlight my belly

And I'd like something really modern. Unusual maybe?

Happy to look off the high street if I knew where?

Gah81 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:09:29

You said you like modern lines, so I instantly thought of The Fold:

thefoldlondon.com/product-category/shop-by-style/dresses/event-dressing/

They all cover your arms, think the fuschia ones could look really striking.

What time of year is the wedding? And is there a part of your body that you love and would like to accentuate?

p.s. am obviously not suggesting the "winter white" dresses in the link above grin grin

Gah81 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:12:17

If you like trouser suits, how do you feel about jumpsuits? Think this would be super striking (with a tailored jacket): www.thehouseoffoxy.com/beach-pyjamas/40s-style-veronica-jumpsuit-red

NewPantsforaNewYear Mon 13-Mar-17 14:20:29

Have you looked at Finery? Well priced, modern cuts.

sanitygirl Mon 13-Mar-17 14:22:02

I feel your pain. I also have a thick waist/sticky out tummy, and my boobs aren't that big - finding dresses that are flattering is tricky. What about Cos?
www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Dresses/Sheer_layered_dress/46881-60526690.1#c-24481#Rel?PC=
or Mint Velvet
www.mintvelvet.co.uk/ink-asymmetric-layer-dress/dresses-jumpsuits/mint-v/fcp-product/9103
www.mintvelvet.co.uk/steel-chiffon-&-jersey-dress/dresses-jumpsuits/mint-v/fcp-product/8180
www.johnlewis.com/mint-velvet-petra-print-layered-dress-multi/p3096010

NewPantsforaNewYear Mon 13-Mar-17 14:22:53

I love this jumpsuit.

NewPantsforaNewYear Mon 13-Mar-17 14:26:45

And this Mint Velvet dress

0hT00dles Mon 13-Mar-17 14:32:29

What about something like this
www.asos.com/asos/asos-salon-bow-front-kimono-mini-dress-in-tropical-jacquard/prd/7552682?iid=7552682&clr=Multi&cid=13934&pgesize=36&pge=0&totalstyles=961&gridsize=3&gridrow=8&gridcolumn=2

0hT00dles Mon 13-Mar-17 14:35:21

Or this: www.asos.com/asos/asos-scuba-ruffle-crop-top-with-border-floral-dress/prd/7638705?iid=7638705&clr=Multi&SearchQuery=&cid=13934&pgesize=204&pge=0&totalstyles=1001&gridsize=3&gridrow=28&gridcolumn=3 (Rubbish at linking blush)

NewPantsforaNewYear Mon 13-Mar-17 14:35:48

& Other Stories may be worth a look.
This dress from Whistles is nice but may be a bit dark.

WhistlingBetty Mon 13-Mar-17 17:51:24

From Whistles? It's expensive but stunning.

Shurleyshummishtake Tue 14-Mar-17 11:09:03

OOh I love that jumpsuit WhistlingBetty! I might check that out is it this season? I didn't see it in John Lewis the other day?

I tend to avoid dresses as they seem to require a waist or boobs or else I look odd as I've quite a masculine figure

I think my legs are my best bit as they are long but my thighs aren't as slim as they were
Rest of me bleugh!

Of the dresses I would like something quite wow so that asos kimono one is amazing and worth a look altho doubtless would look crap on me

deshi Tue 14-Mar-17 11:09:56

OP that jumpsuit WhistlingBetty posted is on ASOS at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now